Chapman 2011 2012 cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mkat27

New

Re: Chapman 2011 2012 cycle

Post by mkat27 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 pm

fashiongirl wrote:
mkat27 wrote:
quiksilver21af wrote:I have no specific questions but I am very curious to hear what you think about the school.
You got it. I'll let you know!
+1 let us know how it goes! can you take some pics? :)
Sure thing! I will try to take pics without looking like a tourist, haha

mkat27

New

Post by mkat27 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:40 pm

So I went to the info session on Wednesday and here's what I thought:

Really like that the school is so small compared to others in SoCal. The students that I talked to really emphasized that you really get personal attention from profs and career services because it's such a small tight knit community. Their biggest class is anout 70 people and their smallest ones are 4 students.

The students that I talked to said most students have no problem finding summer employment.

The school was really small, but nice. The law building is across the street from the undergrad campus, so law students have access to undergrad library (open 24hrs) and other amenities.

I also got a call from current Chapman student yesterday congratulating me on my acceptance and if i had any questions. I asked her how the school feels about the US news rankings, and she said that because Chapman has a new dean who has been on the senate and dean of Berkely buss school, they are hopeful of going up the ranks.

I'm going to Southwestern's Diversity day to compare tmrw.

mkat27

New

Post by mkat27 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Ps. Sorry for the typos. A bit difficult to type while waiting for the light to turn green, haha. *business school is what i meant.

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44 am

I am a 3L at Chapman right now. Graduating in May! Anyway, if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them for you. I rarely come on here anymore, but will make the effort to see if you have questions. Good luck to you all.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:57 am

mkat thanks for sharing your experience! i really like the campus as well and the smaller classes. i'm definitely submitting my app there this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 pm

careerchange wrote:I am a 3L at Chapman right now. Graduating in May! Anyway, if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them for you. I rarely come on here anymore, but will make the effort to see if you have questions. Good luck to you all.
Hello Caareerchange, I was wondering what do you think about the alumni network at Chapman and in addition how important is a strong alumni base. That is do most people end up getting their jobs through an alumni.

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:04 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:
careerchange wrote:I am a 3L at Chapman right now. Graduating in May! Anyway, if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them for you. I rarely come on here anymore, but will make the effort to see if you have questions. Good luck to you all.
Hello Caareerchange, I was wondering what do you think about the alumni network at Chapman and in addition how important is a strong alumni base. That is do most people end up getting their jobs through an alumni.

To answer you question, you are not going to find an alumni base at Chapman as you would at other schools. You will find a lot of Chapman grads working in the Orange County area. Chapman Law School has only been around since 1995 so we just dont have tons of alumni. Every year it is growing though. Kind of like asking if UCI has a strong alumni base. They have none! Anyway, Chapman does have a great deal of respect in Orange County and in Southern California. Most attorneys I talk to feel Chapman is on the rise among law schools.

I should note, if you go to the DA's office or the Public Defender, they are stacked with Chapman grads.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:22 pm

careerchange - How do you feel about Chapman grads landing jobs in San Diego? Do a lot of them work there? Not necessarily biglaw but just in general at other firms or companies.

mkat27

New

Post by mkat27 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Do you have any regrets about going to Chapman? In your opinion, what are pros and cons of attending there? How do Chapman grads stand in LA against say, Southwestern?

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm

fashiongirl wrote:careerchange - How do you feel about Chapman grads landing jobs in San Diego? Do a lot of them work there? Not necessarily biglaw but just in general at other firms or companies.
I don't know much about the San Diego market except that they only have one decent Law School, USD. I feel a Chapman grad would stack up well against USD and would crush Thomas Jefferson grads.

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

mkat27 wrote:
Do you have any regrets about going to Chapman? In your opinion, what are pros and cons of attending there? How do Chapman grads stand in LA against say, Southwestern?

Thank you!
No regrets about going to Chapman. Had I been accepted to UCLA or UCI I would have gone there. But my LSAT was not where it needed to be. I have loved my experience at Chapman. The faculty and students have been second to none. They place a HUGE emphasis on bar passage and have implemented many 3rd year classes designed to help you pass the bar on the first try. This year our bar pass rate was BETTER than UC Davis. First year we ever topped a tier 1 CA law school. And it was only one point behind Hastings. It was also better than every other CA law school not in the First Tier.

The area is wonderful. Negatives: Scholarships are given out liberally, but they are not that easy to keep, Chapman is not yet a Tier 1 school (that is their goal), and the alumni base is still relatively small.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 pm

Any movement from Chapman? Just got my status checker last Friday woohoo!

Phightins

New

Post by Phightins » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:55 pm

Went into review a week ago but nothing since. Not expecting anything for a while honestly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Actually just checked my status checker and I'm in review as of today. I like how they give you a timeframe of when your app will be reviewed when you first get your status checker. If only all the other schools were this quick.

sweetstuff1555

New

Post by sweetstuff1555 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Received my acceptance letter with a very generous scholarship offer a few weeks ago, very excited! Anyone for sure attending in the fall?

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 pm

I am about 90% sure I am going. I am visiting the school in March and making my final decision after that. I would say I am 100% sure but theres a 10% chance I still may get into Loyola. :)

mkat27

New

Post by mkat27 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:56 pm

careerchange wrote:
mkat27 wrote:

Thank you!
No regrets about going to Chapman. Had I been accepted to UCLA or UCI I would have gone there. But my LSAT was not where it needed to be. I have loved my experience at Chapman. The faculty and students have been second to none. They place a HUGE emphasis on bar passage and have implemented many 3rd year classes designed to help you pass the bar on the first try. This year our bar pass rate was BETTER than UC Davis. First year we ever topped a tier 1 CA law school. And it was only one point behind Hastings. It was also better than every other CA law school not in the First Tier.

The area is wonderful. Negatives: Scholarships are given out liberally, but they are not that easy to keep, Chapman is not yet a Tier 1 school (that is their goal), and the alumni base is still relatively small.
Thank you. Do you think Chapman will crack the top 100 this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mkat27

New

Post by mkat27 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:I am about 90% sure I am going. I am visiting the school in March and making my final decision after that. I would say I am 100% sure but theres a 10% chance I still may get into Loyola. :)
I'm on the same boat! Woo!

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 am

Can anyone recommend any good places for law students to live around the campus?

sweetstuff1555

New

Post by sweetstuff1555 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:43 pm

mkat27 wrote:
quiksilver21af wrote:I am about 90% sure I am going. I am visiting the school in March and making my final decision after that. I would say I am 100% sure but theres a 10% chance I still may get into Loyola. :)
I'm pretty much in the same boat too! I'm waiting on a few more schools, but I have a feeling that it's going to be Chapman. The only huge drawback is that it is SO incredibly expensive to live in Orange. I have yet to find a decent apartment for under $1,200/month. What makes Orange so special when you can live for much cheaper in cities such as Sacramento or San Diego?

bulldoglaw

New

Post by bulldoglaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:47 pm

I've been "In Review" since 11/30. Still haven't heard anything

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:
mkat27 wrote:
I'm pretty much in the same boat too! I'm waiting on a few more schools, but I have a feeling that it's going to be Chapman. The only huge drawback is that it is SO incredibly expensive to live in Orange. I have yet to find a decent apartment for under $1,200/month. What makes Orange so special when you can live for much cheaper in cities such as Sacramento or San Diego?
I have found some pretty nice apartments online such as the gates apartment in orange that we're about $1500 for two bedrooms. But I agree between the cost of tuition and living expenses its going to be very expensive.

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 pm

mkat27 wrote:
careerchange wrote:
mkat27 wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you. Do you think Chapman will crack the top 100 this year?
I do. We were there last year and are around 104 right now. I think we will continue to rise as our bar pass rate stays high. We are a young school and peer reviews count a lot in rankings. I very much believe we will be consistently around 80 or 90 when you graduate.

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:
mkat27 wrote:
Many students don't live in Orange. I know I drive to school everyday. I drive 35 minutes each way (most do not live that far). Many students live where is cheaper.

careerchange

New

Post by careerchange » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:46 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:
sweetstuff1555 wrote:
mkat27 wrote:
I have found some pretty nice apartments online such as the gates apartment in orange that we're about $1500 for two bedrooms. But I agree between the cost of tuition and living expenses its going to be very expensive.
I should also point out that many students share apartments.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”