Second tier law school vs Big Law legal staff position Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jarofsoup

Gold

Second tier law school vs Big Law legal staff position

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Greetings,

I want to be a lawyer; however, I know how competitive the legal market can be. I have only been accepted to second tier law schools at the moment. I am still waiting or wait listed at all of the schools that I am really interested in attending.

I have been contacted this last week to set up an interview at an international law firm(they are "big law"....very very big law) and at a few in house counsels for major companies. These are all legal assistant/case assistant positions.

My questions are:

Do I tell the that I am accepted to law school and may attend or defer for a year and try to get a job at one of these firms?

Would this look good on future law school applications or help me get internships during the summers between 1L, 2L and 3L? If I could get one of these jobs?

Can working at these firms help build connections?

Is it better to go into law school with some solid legal work experience or graduate law school before you are 30?

jdncu

New

Re: Second tier law school vs Big Law legal staff position

Post by jdncu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:50 pm

See PM

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:41 pm

See my PM, as well.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Also, check my PM.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Lol... Three 'see PM' posts in a row?? I don't think I've ever seen that on a TLS thread before, especially where OP didn't solicit PMs.. I suppose it is because this isn't an anon thread though, and perhaps people don't feel comfortable sharing WE stuff in the thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm

I just PM'd you

dc1s

New

Post by dc1s » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Lol... Three 'see PM' posts in a row?? I don't think I've ever seen that on a TLS thread before, especially where OP didn't solicit PMs.. I suppose it is because this isn't an anon thread though, and perhaps people don't feel comfortable sharing WE stuff in the thread?
I'll explain what is happening. Check your PM.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:23 pm

RCS wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Lol... Three 'see PM' posts in a row?? I don't think I've ever seen that on a TLS thread before, especially where OP didn't solicit PMs.. I suppose it is because this isn't an anon thread though, and perhaps people don't feel comfortable sharing WE stuff in the thread?
I'll explain what is happening. Check your PM.
Just sent you a PM on how much I enjoyed that.

girlboy

New

Post by girlboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Can you guys PM me too? I have a similar question, though I haven't applied to law school yet; will this kind of job help or hurt me in the long run?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:40 pm

girlboy wrote:Can you guys PM me too? I have a similar question, though I haven't applied to law school yet; will this kind of job help or hurt me in the long run?
Everybody check their PMs I just sent everybody ITT one.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:46 pm

I'll assumed that you're in your last year of UG. I'd take the biglaw job. It's something that I did after UG and helped big time with my admissions cycle and getting a SA. Oh yeah, it'll also give you time to retake the LSAT.

girlboy

New

Post by girlboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:48 pm

sullidop wrote:I'll assumed that you're in your last year of UG. I'd take the biglaw job. It's something that I did after UG and helped big time with my admissions cycle and getting a SA. Oh yeah, it'll also give you time to retake the LSAT.
How did it help? Having the experience or having the connections?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:29 pm

I am two years out of undergrad. Certified paralegal. With small law firm experience. Do not have the job yet. Just do not know if I want to tell them that I plan on law school or tell myself that I plan on work experience over starting law school. I am in my mid 20's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 pm

girlboy wrote:Can you guys PM me too? I have a similar question, though I haven't applied to law school yet; will this kind of job help or hurt me in the long run?
Jobs always help you in the long run. Unless they hire you and have nothing good to say about you and you get fired or burn your connections.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:20 am

girlboy wrote:
sullidop wrote:I'll assumed that you're in your last year of UG. I'd take the biglaw job. It's something that I did after UG and helped big time with my admissions cycle and getting a SA. Oh yeah, it'll also give you time to retake the LSAT.
How did it help? Having the experience or having the connections?
Both. The experience reinforced my desire to work in biglaw and provided great material for my essay. Also, a partner at the firm had REALLY strong ties with my first choice. My numbers were borderline and I got waitlisted. Three weeks after said partner wrote a letter supporting my application I was admitted. In re the SA, the firm I'm summering at took others from that program...which can't be a coincidence.
Last edited by sullidop on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:23 am

jarofsoup wrote:I am two years out of undergrad. Certified paralegal. With small law firm experience. Do not have the job yet. Just do not know if I want to tell them that I plan on law school or tell myself that I plan on work experience over starting law school. I am in my mid 20's.
Tough call. Biglaw usually asks for two years so it doesn't sound like that will be an option for you. Not sure what the added value of another year of paralegal-type work would be.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:47 pm

I am having a hard time seeing why work experience at a big firm would be anything but a positive addition to a resume and I am thinking that it could definitely help with getting a summer associates or with give you a boost in OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am

How important is work experience for getting work after law school? I have never had a full time salary job. Two years out of college....

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:05 pm

check ur pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”