IN at Vandy 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whitman

Silver

IN at Vandy 2014

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm

So....what are y'all thinking?

I'll go first.

I'm strongly considering going if I can get some money, and would choose it with money over my other top options, Penn, GTown, Cornell, and Texas. I'm not totally sure I know what my career goals are yet (PI, government, but not ruling out Big law), or where I want to live (generally interested in west coast, Nashville, Texas, and east coast, maybe Atlanta). So it's tough. I need to figure my shit out. Damn.

I have spent a lot of time in Nashville, by the way, if anyone has any questions about the city.

akili

Gold

Re: IN at Vandy 2014

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Vandy is pretty much top of my list right now. The other top contender is Texas, but if Vandy gives me the scholarship that was given to people with my numbers last cycle...I would be completely sold.

I love Nashville, the weather, the climate, small class sizes, loads of clinics, really great career prospects, and I do very much admire the 'lay prestige' with the name. My sister is a sophomore at Vandy so it would be sweet to have her around too.

Also, Nashville is very dog friendly and the Vandy brick 'o information was SUPER impressive. The Obiter Dictum was incredibly useful.

sanguar

Silver

Post by sanguar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

Haven't thought much about Vandy yet to be honest. For me a lot will depend on the $ I think. But it's an intriguing prospect for me, particularly since it seems to have better job-prospects than its ranking might suggest.

edited for grammar

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Vandy, Danos el dinero!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Tag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:53 pm

whitman wrote:Vandy, Danos el dinero!
True facts. With a scholarship, I will probably be headed there next fall. Without one, it would be very very hard to justify picking it over Texas in-state with scholarship.

I just hate Texas weather. That's really my only geographic preference, somewhere not hot.

GotYourselfAStewGoin

New

Post by GotYourselfAStewGoin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 pm

We're expecting scholarship info this month, right?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:57 pm

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:We're expecting scholarship info this month, right?
I think that's what it said in the multitude of materials. Hopefully soon. I'm getting real attached to the idea of Vandy...

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:57 pm

sanguar wrote:But it's an intriguing prospect for me, particularly since it seems to have better job-prospects than its ranking might suggest.
+1

I don't know what factors go into deciding the rankings, but Vanderbilt seems slightly harder to get into than some schools ranked above it. It also has more national reach than some of them, from what I have read. I don't know why it's ranked #17 but am guessing its ranking fluctuates most years.

Anyway, I am excited of the prospect of going to Vanderbilt. Nashville seems like a place I could really enjoy. Some scholarship money would sweeten the deal and likely cause me to commit on the spot.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:00 pm

akili wrote:
I think that's what it said in the multitude of materials. Hopefully soon. I'm getting real attached to the idea of Vandy...
Yeah, it looks like scholarships came out near the end of February last cycle.

Also, +1 to Vandy. Between the small class size, awesome student atmosphere, great job placement, good weather, and cool city... what's not to love?

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 pm

beachbum wrote:
akili wrote:

Also, +1 to Vandy. Between the small class size, awesome student atmosphere, great job placement, good weather, and cool city... what's not to love?

Aren't you going to Duke? What are you doing in here? If duke catches you they won't be happy! Ha.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
Anyway, I am excited of the prospect of going to Vanderbilt. Nashville seems like a place I could really enjoy. Some scholarship money would sweeten the deal and likely cause me to commit on the spot.
Haha honestly, if I got a scholarship the only school that could beat Vandy for me would be Michigan (but that would be at sticker)...Committing on the spot sounds pretty likely...

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Excited for ASP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
akili wrote:

Aren't you going to Duke? What are you doing in here? If duke catches you they won't be happy! Ha.
Yeah, yeah, I just wanted to chip in with (somewhat) useful information, and because Vandy is awesome and us southern school students gotta stick together. Also I'm stuck at my campus job and have nothing to do.

...Yeah, I'll find another thread now.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:36 pm

akili wrote:
whitman wrote:Vandy, Danos el dinero!
True facts. With a scholarship, I will probably be headed there next fall. Without one, it would be very very hard to justify picking it over Texas in-state with scholarship.

I just hate Texas weather. That's really my only geographic preference, somewhere not hot.
I like your choices - Vandy and Texas are at the top of mine, too. Both awesome schools, student bodies, cities, etc. I didn't get any money from Texas, though, which was disappointing.

Just to give you a heads up, Nashville is hotter and more humid than hell from May/June through September. I guess if you go elsewhere during the summers, though, it will only be an issue for a couple of months out of the year.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Honestly, anything would be better than Austin summers.

Austin Average Highs in Jun/Jul/Aug: 91/95/96
Nashville Jun/Jul/Aug: 85/89/88

I can deal with 80s, it's the 90s that kill me.

coug11

Bronze

Post by coug11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm deciding between Vandy and GULC right now... Since I'm planning on government work after, and GULC's LRAP is MUCH better than Vandy's, GULC definitely has the $$$ advantage right now. I would consider Duke, too, if I get off their PR List.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Also, has anyone else signed up for one of the ASDs?

The form asks if I want to stay overnight with a law school student. I have no idea if that's a good idea or not... lol. What are yall doing?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm

coug11 wrote:I'm deciding between Vandy and GULC right now... Since I'm planning on government work after, and GULC's LRAP is MUCH better than Vandy's, GULC definitely has the $$$ advantage right now. I would consider Duke, too, if I get off their PR List.
Really? What are the differences?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 pm

akili wrote:Also, has anyone else signed up for one of the ASDs?

The form asks if I want to stay overnight with a law school student. I have no idea if that's a good idea or not... lol. What are yall doing?
I live here, so not a problem for me.

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Barring waitlist acceptances from either Duke or UVa (lol), I'll be at Vandy in the fall. I've been really impressed with the school thus far, particularly with their transparency regarding employment stats. I'm planning on going to the ASW in April, but probably not going to choose to stay with a current student....feel like that could be super risky lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 pm

jwrash wrote:Barring waitlist acceptances from either Duke or UVa (lol), I'll be at Vandy in the fall. I've been really impressed with the school thus far, particularly with their transparency regarding employment stats. I'm planning on going to the ASW in April, but probably not going to choose to stay with a current student....feel like that could be super risky lol.
That's what I decided too. It could be fun, and it was definitely a good idea for UG visits, but for LS? It feels little odd. Plus, my sister lives in Nashville and I'm going to want to be hanging out with her.

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:13 pm

akili wrote:
jwrash wrote:Barring waitlist acceptances from either Duke or UVa (lol), I'll be at Vandy in the fall. I've been really impressed with the school thus far, particularly with their transparency regarding employment stats. I'm planning on going to the ASW in April, but probably not going to choose to stay with a current student....feel like that could be super risky lol.
That's what I decided too. It could be fun, and it was definitely a good idea for UG visits, but for LS? It feels little odd. Plus, my sister lives in Nashville and I'm going to want to be hanging out with her.
You going in April or March?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 pm

jwrash wrote:
akili wrote:
April. March one is on top of the UT one (bummer, I heard rumors about a Predators game)

coug11

Bronze

Post by coug11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 pm

akili wrote:
jwrash wrote:
akili wrote:
April. March one is on top of the UT one (bummer, I heard rumors about a Predators game)
I'm going to April, too! Just bought my plane ticket Tuesday!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”