GW 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
philswfc2008

Bronze

Re: GW 2011 Applicants

Post by philswfc2008 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:37 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote: Haha seriously! I kind of feel bad for you tho because you may have the worst goaltending in the playoffs and as a former goalie its tough to watch :(
Perhaps but...(and not to derail this thread too much), in the "new" NHL, you don't necessarily need a big-name, stud goalie anymore to win the Cup. Antti Niemi proved that without a shadow of a doubt last year. Think of some other goalies on Cup-winning teams in recent years...Fleury, Osgood, Ward. None of them I would classify as "elite".

Having said that, except for part of the first period in Game 5, Brian Boucher was very solid in net in the last series. If he keeps it up, we'll be fine - although Boston will be very, very tough. Of course, if Boucher falls back to Earth, and the goaltending carousel starts spinning again, we could be in big trouble
I agree with that especially since Philly is so gifted offensively however, we can all admit that the Sabres were not much besides their goaltending and that took the series to 7. Boucher needs to play very well when you guys run in to Boston (top goalie), or Washington (average goalie - great offense), TB (Roloson is playing well, great forwards) etc. Plus, I actually thought Niemi played great for you guys. I could literally talk NHL playoffs all day because I love it so much but I'm guessing the thread should get back on track...any word from the WL lately? Yesterday seemed oddly quiet after the movement on Wednesday.
Niemi was on Chicago (you might have been thinking of Michael Leighton, who was our goalie in the Finals last year). But I agree with your other points. Boston will be tough to beat, even if Boucher is playing well. And WSH and TB are scary for respective reasons (the Capitals seem like the real deal this year).

To get the thread back on track haha...I'm sure the WL will ebb and flow. I'm sure some days a bunch of people will get in off of it, and others days, it will be silent. Best of luck to those still on the WL though! (Even if you are a Sabres fan!)

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote: Haha seriously! I kind of feel bad for you tho because you may have the worst goaltending in the playoffs and as a former goalie its tough to watch :(
Perhaps but...(and not to derail this thread too much), in the "new" NHL, you don't necessarily need a big-name, stud goalie anymore to win the Cup. Antti Niemi proved that without a shadow of a doubt last year. Think of some other goalies on Cup-winning teams in recent years...Fleury, Osgood, Ward. None of them I would classify as "elite".

Having said that, except for part of the first period in Game 5, Brian Boucher was very solid in net in the last series. If he keeps it up, we'll be fine - although Boston will be very, very tough. Of course, if Boucher falls back to Earth, and the goaltending carousel starts spinning again, we could be in big trouble
I agree with that especially since Philly is so gifted offensively however, we can all admit that the Sabres were not much besides their goaltending and that took the series to 7. Boucher needs to play very well when you guys run in to Boston (top goalie), or Washington (average goalie - great offense), TB (Roloson is playing well, great forwards) etc. Plus, I actually thought Niemi played great for you guys. I could literally talk NHL playoffs all day because I love it so much but I'm guessing the thread should get back on track...any word from the WL lately? Yesterday seemed oddly quiet after the movement on Wednesday.
Niemi was on Chicago (you might have been thinking of Michael Leighton, who was our goalie in the Finals last year). But I agree with your other points. Boston will be tough to beat, even if Boucher is playing well. And WSH and TB are scary for respective reasons (the Capitals seem like the real deal this year).

To get the thread back on track haha...I'm sure the WL will ebb and flow. I'm sure some days a bunch of people will get in off of it, and others days, it will be silent. Best of luck to those still on the WL though! (Even if you are a Sabres fan!)
That was who I was thinking of...he did play well for you guys. Ok, thread back on track...

East Coast Law

New

Post by East Coast Law » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Withdrew my app- good luck!
Last edited by East Coast Law on Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:00 pm

How crazy is it to go to GW at sticker?

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Mon May 02, 2011 1:05 pm

username99 wrote:How crazy is it to go to GW at sticker?
I'd only do it if (1) you were absolutely set on working in DC (bonus if you wanna do something in gov't or IP) and (2) you don't get an amazing scholarship at American or a good scholarship at any of GW's peer schools. Also assumes you don't get into Vandy or better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:49 pm

I think it would be pretty insane.

*edit*

If by sticker, you mean going $230,000 in debt. If you have money saved, or another way to bring that debt figure down, I think it becomes a bit more sane. I think probably right around 100k in debt would be risky - but not ridiculously so.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:22 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
I think it would be pretty insane.
Agreed.

The only way it is possibly okay is if you have a significant amount of savings and thus can avoid soulcrushing debt. That wouldn't be the most financially prudent use of your savings but if you really really really wanted to be a lawyer at least the debt would be manageable on the other side even if you could have saved/invested that money in something with a much higher return.

I would highly recommend taking a lower school with a large scholarship over GW at sticker. If you are adamant about GW at sticker I think the only way to do it if you are taking on a full debt load is to go the first year and then drop out if you don't make top quarter. That is still a hugely risky gamble, but at least it is a 1 year, $75,000 gamble rather than a 3 year $225,000 gamble.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm

If you're not interested in public interest then it is insane and even then it's an uphill battle with a price tag greater than most, if not all, T-14s, but much less job prospects

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Mon May 02, 2011 3:26 pm

If the prevailing opinion is that GW @ sticker = crazy, I don't understand how they fill their class. It seems like their merit awards are $105k or $0. Do they give out that many $105k deals? I know a lot of people must suck it up and pay full price, but I do wonder about the % of students receiving awards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah, just to add on to above...I think the consensus here is that GW with the 110k scholarship is reasonable, some even recommend taking the 110k over attending a lower T14 at sticker. So if you can either obtain that scholarship, or somehow get an equal amount to the scholarship (parents, money saved, sell assets like your car, a combination of the three), then attending would be reasonable. But 225k in debt for GW...enormous gamble.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:28 pm

aaaaaah wrote:If the prevailing opinion is that GW @ sticker = crazy, I don't understand how they fill their class. It seems like their merit awards are $105k or $0. Do they give out that many $105k deals? I know a lot of people must suck it up and pay full price, but I do wonder about the % of students receiving awards.
Same way St. Thomas, and Cooley, and all the other shit schools fill their classes. There will be people willing to pay sticker, always, at every school. Doesn't mean its a good decision.

zengyy

New

Post by zengyy » Fri May 06, 2011 11:23 am

Right now, I am admitted to Univ. of Texas and on the WL of GW. Should I keep waiting for GW? I am very interested in IP, especially biotech/pharmaceutical, and healthcare law, based on my extensive work experience. Some people say if I am not sure for IP, UT is a better choice.

From NALP info, GW has more on campus recruiters than UT, does that mean a better job opportunities although it ranks lower than UT?

Thanks for your thoughts.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Fri May 06, 2011 2:21 pm

zengyy wrote:Right now, I am admitted to Univ. of Texas and on the WL of GW. Should I keep waiting for GW? I am very interested in IP, especially biotech/pharmaceutical, and healthcare law, based on my extensive work experience. Some people say if I am not sure for IP, UT is a better choice.

From NALP info, GW has more on campus recruiters than UT, does that mean a better job opportunities although it ranks lower than UT?

I don't think I'd want to study or live in Texas or the south in general. I'd still go to UT sticker over GW sticker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zengyy

New

Post by zengyy » Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 pm

2011Law wrote:
zengyy wrote:Right now, I am admitted to Univ. of Texas and on the WL of GW. Should I keep waiting for GW? I am very interested in IP, especially biotech/pharmaceutical, and healthcare law, based on my extensive work experience. Some people say if I am not sure for IP, UT is a better choice.

I don't think I'd want to study or live in Texas or the south in general. I'd still go to UT sticker over GW sticker.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

DevilDaze

New

Post by DevilDaze » Fri May 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Where can I find info from NALP about employers who come to OCI at GW and other schools?

zengyy

New

Post by zengyy » Sat May 07, 2011 10:17 pm

DevilDaze wrote:Where can I find info from NALP about employers who come to OCI at GW and other schools?
--LinkRemoved--

You can select different schools or specific law you are interested in.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon May 09, 2011 1:40 pm

aaaaaah wrote:If the prevailing opinion is that GW @ sticker = crazy, I don't understand how they fill their class. It seems like their merit awards are $105k or $0. Do they give out that many $105k deals? I know a lot of people must suck it up and pay full price, but I do wonder about the % of students receiving awards.
that's the prevailing opinion on TLS. TLS != the majority of LS applicants. also, this was my 1337 post FTW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:58 am

Putting down my deposit today.

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Also struggling with the 'GWU at sticker' decision. I've got $84K at WUSTL, and while living in DC is more appealing and I am planning on doing IP, it's awfully hard to justify spending ~$100-120K more (with COL). I'd happily pay sticker at any of my WL schools though. FWIW I wrote Dean Richard about merit scholarships and was told there were no more to give and I should apply for financial aid. Sigh.

patat

New

Post by patat » Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Anyone get WL updates?

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:12 pm

I think the email said decisions on Friday?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:07 pm

WL movement - accepted today!!!

Stoic

New

Post by Stoic » Fri May 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Congrats. Looks like I'll see you next year! Actually, does anyone know anything about GW's deposit policy and staying on waiting lists?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Stoic wrote:Congrats. Looks like I'll see you next year! Actually, does anyone know anything about GW's deposit policy and staying on waiting lists?
Thanks! I used an LOCI + other communication to get off the WL. As for the seat deposit... I have until a certain date to pay the deposit and my second seat deposit is coming up at the school I was planning to attend 5 days earlier...

That being said - I love love love DC and would be absolutely thrilled to work there but I am also very nervous about GWU at sticker. Is it smarter to take the $12k/year at CU Law and run? Especially as I want government work/non big law. Either way would have more than 100k in debt at either school (200k probably at GWU).

Can probably definitely get a job in Cali where I am from (it is my backup plan in case can't get a job in Denver/DC).

Prime12

Bronze

Post by Prime12 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Has anyone come across this yet?

--LinkRemoved--

I lol'd :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”