Hofstra 2010 Entrance Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JValdez

New

Re: Hofstra 2010 Entrance Waitlist

Post by JValdez » Tue May 11, 2010 10:54 am

Waitlisted today....that's a bummer.

jessi419

New

Post by jessi419 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Waitlisted today and a little confused by it. 3.2/160. I think it might be a tough year in general and I applied really late in the cycle. Does anyone know if writing or having additional LORs sent will help someone get off the waitlist? I don't want to seem too solicitous.

I have pretty much everyone in my family on my back about getting into schools and I'd really like to have a decision sooner rather than later, better or worse.

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Tue May 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Wow. It seems as if Hofstra has a rather large waitlist.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue May 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by cartercl on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessi419

New

Post by jessi419 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been paying much attention to the forums, so I'm not entirely familiar with the acronyms. LOCI= Letter of Continued Intent?

I just found out electronically through the status checker, so I'm interested to see what my actual letter in the mail says. Aside from what I've already submitted, I don't have anything else to send in, unless I track down some old professors (I've been out of school for a few years).

I never sent in a formal resume with my application, so maybe I'll put a copy of that in with my LOCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

jessi419 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I haven't been paying much attention to the forums, so I'm not entirely familiar with the acronyms. LOCI= Letter of Continued Intent?

I just found out electronically through the status checker, so I'm interested to see what my actual letter in the mail says. Aside from what I've already submitted, I don't have anything else to send in, unless I track down some old professors (I've been out of school for a few years).

I never sent in a formal resume with my application, so maybe I'll put a copy of that in with my LOCI.
LOCI = letter of continued interest. There's a good example of what one should look like here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=25941. It basically just lets the school know you are still interested and if accepted you would love to attend. Kind of removes some apprehension about accepting a WL candidate who's been accepted elsewhere already. And yeah, sending in a resume is probably a good idea. Anything to give you the edge over someone else is good. Plus, it's a lot easier than having to find your accomplishments and extracurriculars in the application.

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:57 pm

anything?

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Fri May 14, 2010 11:11 am

I'm thinking we probably wont hear anything until after the 2nd seat deposit (which I think is due on June 1st)

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 am

Yeah I figured as much just keeping my hopes up!

KNowing that I'm also trying to figure out when would be the best time to send a second LOCI :?:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Fri May 14, 2010 11:41 am

exposition23 wrote:Yeah I figured as much just keeping my hopes up!

KNowing that I'm also trying to figure out when would be the best time to send a second LOCI :?:

You and me both. Problem for me is I don't really have anything new to report but I heard you should make contact once a month. *sigh*

What are you going to say in your second LOCI?

Didn't know th ere was so much strategy involved lol

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 pm

I just got an email from them about the waitlist update.

I'm thinking my LOCI 2 might be a little more informal than the first one. Probably congratulating them on moving up in the rankings and more about me and my promotion at work. Not really too sure though

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Fri May 14, 2010 2:46 pm

I haven't gotten anything from them. What did it say?

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Stuff we pretty much already knew. I'll post it up here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

exposition23 wrote:I just got an email from them about the waitlist update.

I'm thinking my LOCI 2 might be a little more informal than the first one. Probably [strike]congratulating them on moving up in the rankings[/strike] and more about me and my promotion at work. Not really too sure though

dont do that part

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Greetings,

I would like to start this update by extending a warm thank you for agreeing to become a member of our waiting list and for your patience throughout this process. I understand that the uncertainty of your status at this moment may be a bit difficult, so I am here to provide information about the process and what is to come.

The waiting list is not ranked. As space becomes available, the admissions committee will subsequently re-evaluate candidates for the vacant seats. Although the strong response we have received to our offers of admission has limited our ability to extend any more at this time, we do expect to make additional offers up to the start of class.

There are a number of things that a candidate on the waiting list can do, but I must advise you to pace yourself as the process can be extended until early August. For starters, you may submit additional letters of recommendation. Another common option to consider is to provide us with updates to the admissions file (most recent transcripts, resume, job promotions/changes in responsibility, etc.). Finally, I would like to encourage students interested in matriculating to Hofstra Law to submit a letter of intent or continued interest.

I hope this information will provide you with some sense of understanding with regard to the Hofstra Law waiting list. As a reminder you may check the status of your application online at any time. The Check Application Status Online feature is accessible at http://law.hofstra.edu/jdadmissions.

Sincerely,

Shawn D. McShay
Senior Director of Enrollment Management

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for posting. I guess I will try and get a few more letters or reccomendations and maybe submit a Why Hofstra? essay.

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:10 am

Campaign Campaign Campaign.

My thoughts in my head are as following:

I send my LOCI #2 (assuming the second deposit is due June 1st) on May 27 so it makes it to the office on the 29th just in time to reach my file and be read by the committee around June 1 or 2. Right when they know how many seats to fill and since they just received my LOCI #2 I'll be that fresh in their mind it'll be an instant accept....

:mrgreen: or so I hope lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Sat May 15, 2010 9:17 am

I'm slightly concerned that I didn't get that email about the waitlist update? At this point, I am concerned about everything lol.

exposition23

New

Post by exposition23 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:29 pm

lol don't be. It didnt' seem like a personal email, more of a generic one. What does your last name start with? If they do the email blasts alpha, I probably just got it sooner cause I start in the C's

jessi419

New

Post by jessi419 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:04 am

So, I sent in my letter of continued interest last week and sent an e-mail to the law admissions address and got a quick response yesterday stating my letter had been received. In my e-mail, I also asked about scheduling a tour of the campus (the calendar tool on their website wasn't working for me) and the response I received said that they conduct tours on Fridays. I replied yesterday afternoon saying that I'd like to register for a tour this Friday or one in two weeks. I haven't heard back yet. Should I call them to make the appointment? I don't want to make it seem like I'm harassing them, but I'd like to know so I can tell my employer that I'm taking a personal day. I don't even know what influence a tour would have on my acceptance (guessing not much, but every little bit counts?), but I honestly should visit regardless.

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Thu May 20, 2010 10:12 am

jessi419 wrote:So, I sent in my letter of continued interest last week and sent an e-mail to the law admissions address and got a quick response yesterday stating my letter had been received. In my e-mail, I also asked about scheduling a tour of the campus (the calendar tool on their website wasn't working for me) and the response I received said that they conduct tours on Fridays. I replied yesterday afternoon saying that I'd like to register for a tour this Friday or one in two weeks. I haven't heard back yet. Should I call them to make the appointment? I don't want to make it seem like I'm harassing them, but I'd like to know so I can tell my employer that I'm taking a personal day. I don't even know what influence a tour would have on my acceptance (guessing not much, but every little bit counts?), but I honestly should visit regardless.
I would call. When I set up my visit about a month or so ago, I did it via phone and they were aware that the website was not working. The people in the office have always been very nice and helpful when I called.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jessi419

New

Post by jessi419 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 am

NYCG8TR wrote:
I would call. When I set up my visit about a month or so ago, I did it via phone and they were aware that the website was not working. The people in the office have always been very nice and helpful when I called.
How did your visit go? Was it mostly informational or were you able to meet any admissions officers?

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

jessi419 wrote:
NYCG8TR wrote:
How did your visit go? Was it mostly informational or were you able to meet any admissions officers?
My visit went well. It was mostly informational but at the end the opportunity was there to meet with an admissions officer.

jessi419

New

Post by jessi419 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 am

NYCG8TR wrote: My visit went well. It was mostly informational but at the end the opportunity was there to meet with an admissions officer.
Good to know, thanks.

As luck would have it, I just got an e-mail from them confirming me for tomorrow.

British

New

Post by British » Fri May 21, 2010 2:52 pm

I am on this waitlist too and I REALLY want to get in. I am so anxious!

I was thinking about hand-delivering my LOCI #2 on June 1. What do you think?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”