Detroit Mercy Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jjd06e

New

Detroit Mercy

Post by jjd06e » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 am

Detroit Mercy is one of the schools I applied to. I am unsure of my interest overall with them, but I have two grandparents who went to Detroit Mercy and had very successful law careers. Anyway, I was checking my online status today and it says

Current Status: JD - Please call Admissions Counselor
Current Status Date: 4/8/2010

Has anyone ever gotten that message before? I wonder what it is about.

CardinalRules

Gold

Re: Detroit Mercy

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 am

jjd06e wrote:I have two grandparents who went to Detroit Mercy and had very successful law careers.
Law schools have changed tremendously since the time when your grandparents went. Even the difference between my dad's era and now is striking when he discusses it. So don't put too much weight on the success of your grandparents.

In response to your actual question, either they want you to clarify something on your application, or, more likely, they want to inform you of your acceptance.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:55 am

CardinalRules wrote:
jjd06e wrote:I have two grandparents who went to Detroit Mercy and had very successful law careers.
Law schools have changed tremendously since the time when your grandparents went. Even the difference between my dad's era and now is striking when he discusses it. So don't put too much weight on the success of your grandparents.

In response to your actual question, either they want you to clarify something on your application, or, more likely, they want to inform you of your acceptance.
Yea, I agree. Detroit Mercy is kind of a back up school you could say. My numbers would easily get me into UDM so I wonder if it is an acceptance, but its weird they leave me a notice to call them. My grandfather won the Champions of Justice award from the Michigan BAR as a UDM grad, but you are right its a different era. My dad has a Cooley degree and is also doing real well for himself, and now Cooley is not real well regarded.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:59 am

jjd06e wrote:My dad has a Cooley degree and is also doing real well for himself, and now Cooley is not real well regarded.
Nominated for understatement of the month.

If you say that your numbers would get you into UDM easily, it's possible that they want to ascertain your actual interest in the school before committing a spot to you. Still, the odds are that it's just a straightforward acceptance; schools have strange ways of expressing themselves on status checkers sometimes.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Yep, it was an acceptance. They accepted me a day after they sent me an email saying they got my application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”