Why doesn't every school send decisions via e-mail? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
j.wellington

Bronze

Why doesn't every school send decisions via e-mail?

Post by j.wellington » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 pm

This is something that still annoys me about the application process. Every part of the process can be completed online, yet when it comes to sending out decisions, a large number of schools insist on using snail mail. Since I'm applying coast-to-coast and am running up against the decision deadlines, the extra time it'll take to receive my letter could end making a real difference. IUB even sent me confusing "congratulations once again" e-mails before I got their wasteful glossy packet, which contained no info I couldn't find on their web site.

Why do schools still use paper mail for decisions? Tradition? Dramatic effect?

WWAD

Bronze

Re: Why doesn't every school send decisions via e-mail?

Post by WWAD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 pm

That's like e-mailing gift certificates for birthdays. The excitement is so much better when you have to wait and unwrap it. You only get to do it once, enjoy the inconvenience.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm

"they keep the postal service in business"

"they don't like change/too much work to switch to an all email system"

"they like to use the mail system as an excuse for the delay"

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:58 pm

finalaspects wrote:"they keep the postal service in business"

"they don't like change/too much work to switch to an all email system"

"they like to use the mail system as an excuse for the delay"
Everything you said is an excuse to be lazy lol

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Maybe Law Schools are just rooted in tradition, and traditionally real paper letters are much more formal/official? I agree though, they really should save a tree and just email it to everyone, or even just allow you to check your status online like most undergrads. It would be easier for everyone involved to just do it online.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Law schools mirror the legal industry, a bloated, inefficient, ineffectual mess.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:02 pm

WWAD wrote:That's like e-mailing gift certificates for birthdays. The excitement is so much better when you have to wait and unwrap it. You only get to do it once, enjoy the inconvenience.
+1

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

I would assume that having a hard copy of an acceptance letter is something many students want to keep. it just doesn't have the same prestige as an internet printout. The weight, seal, and (hopefully) authentic signature of the Dean all add to the prestige of the acceptance.

There is less of a reason, however, as to why they can't notify you by email that you've been accepted as they send out your formal letter.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

skamike wrote:I would assume that having a hard copy of an acceptance letter is something many students want to keep. it just doesn't have the same prestige as an internet printout. The weight, seal, and (hopefully) authentic signature of the Dean all add to the prestige of the acceptance.

There is less of a reason, however, as to why they can't notify you by email that you've been accepted as they send out your formal letter.
What do you do with your acceptance letter that it needs to be so "special"? Do you put it on the frig? Do you frame it? Just wondering since it seems like its very important. Its just an acceptance letters, not a diploma. They should email acceptance letters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:34 pm

They should send letters for admits in addition to e-mails and they should e-mail waitlist and rejections right when decided.

Just because they should and could doesn't mean they will...

MDPSteve

New

Post by MDPSteve » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

WWAD wrote:That's like e-mailing gift certificates for birthdays. The excitement is so much better when you have to wait and unwrap it. You only get to do it once, enjoy the inconvenience.
Instead it's like receiving an envelope with a note saying I didn't get you anything... :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”