What Does Waitlisted Really Mean? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Huluba23

Bronze

What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Post by Huluba23 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Seriously, is it worth riding out waitlists to see if you will get accepted or is a waitlist really just a soft rejection?

finalaspects

Gold

Re: What Does Waitlisted Really Mean?

Post by finalaspects » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Huluba23 wrote:Seriously, is it worth riding out waitlists to see if you will get accepted or is a waitlist really just a soft rejection?
it means, if they don't get enough people to throw down deposits from their initial acceptances, if and only then will we accept you. which is usually the case since many people withdraw, but doesn't always have the to be case.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:36 pm

too bad they dont rank you on the waitlists lol

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:too bad they dont rank you on the waitlists lol
some schools do rank them...

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Huluba23 wrote:Seriously, is it worth riding out waitlists to see if you will get accepted or is a waitlist really just a soft rejection?
it means, if they don't get enough people to throw down deposits from their initial acceptances, if and only then will we accept you. which is usually the case since many people withdraw, but doesn't always have the to be case.
Basically, we don't want you unless we get desperate. I've just started counting waitlists as rejections so I don't get my hopes up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I've searched high and low for a real breakdown of the waitlist process, but found nothing.

It would be nice if waitlist numbers (total WLs, total WLs accepted, etc) were made public for us to dissect.

So far, I count it to mean you're pretty much rejected, and if you get admitted, you got lucky.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm

DonnyMost wrote:I've searched high and low for a real breakdown of the waitlist process, but found nothing.

It would be nice if waitlist numbers (total WLs, total WLs accepted, etc) were made public for us to dissect.

So far, I count it to mean you're pretty much rejected, and if you get admitted, you got lucky.
You can always check LSN and do a user search for this information. It may not be as reliable as information directly from the schools, but it's something. And if you really are that interested, you could contact the school and ask.

hth

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”