Underrated programs Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Killacam18

New

Underrated programs

Post by Killacam18 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:32 am

So on this board I've read quite a few posts talking about programs that are overrated. For example alot of people tend to think WUSTL's ranking is inflated. I don't necessarily agree with that but if it is true then some schools must be underrated. Which would those be? Mainly talking about schools in the top 25/30. Just curious where some good deals might be.

NosferatuDracon

New

Re: Underrated programs

Post by NosferatuDracon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 am

Killacam18 wrote:So on this board I've read quite a few posts talking about programs that are overrated. For example alot of people tend to think WUSTL's ranking is inflated. I don't necessarily agree with that but if it is true then some schools must be underrated. Which would those be? Mainly talking about schools in the top 25/30. Just curious where some good deals might be.
By no means am I an expert, i.e. don't take this as fact because it is purely speculation on my part from the little I've read about, on the subject but I would say that any of the top state school programs are great deals regardless of where they are ranked due to getting in state tuition and all. But specifically I'd imagine Alabama, UNC, Ohio State, Colorado, U of Florida, Florida State, Kansas, Louisiana(due to the fact they have a unique legal system), Temple, Pittsburgh... maybe also Kentucky, Utah, Arizona, South Carolina...I'm sure there's plenty more "good deals" just depends on your individual circumstance

If you're not set on working in BigLaw in a major market and could get a really nice scholarship to one of those schools in addition to paying in-state tuition and placed in the top of your class I'd say the regional recruiting would be pretty darn good for you and the pay...even if those markets did pay less then the "standard" BigLaw salaries they have lower COL and you'd have no or very little law school debt to take into consideration.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 am

Killacam18 wrote:So on this board I've read quite a few posts talking about programs that are overrated. For example alot of people tend to think WUSTL's ranking is inflated. I don't necessarily agree with that but if it is true then some schools must be underrated. Which would those be? Mainly talking about schools in the top 25/30. Just curious where some good deals might be.
overrated by usnews: indiana, illinois, emory,

underrated by usnews:boston college, fordham, george washington

i think usc, ucla, fordham, gw, bc, bu, nd, wustl, emory,should all be grouped together.

NosferatuDracon

New

Post by NosferatuDracon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:02 am

najumobi wrote:

i think usc, ucla, fordham, gw, bc, bu, nd, wustl, emory,should all be grouped together.
Any particular reason?

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 am

GW for sure, they dropped 8 spots this year because USNWR's new rule about PT programs screwed them. Or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:18 am

Really believe bottom T-14 = rest of T-18. Not sure Gtown or Cornell is any different than UCLA, Texas, Vandy or USC.

Also - Illinois seems higher than Indiana even though they are ranked the same and Notre Dame seems equal to around WUSTL and Emory. Maybe better.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am

NosferatuDracon wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Any particular reason?
i used usnews to look at median salaries for 2007 grads. indiana and illinois (and also minn) are much like other lower state schools (unc, georgia, w&m). bc, fordham, gw beat out emory.

example:
bc
41% over 135k
33% under 135k
24% ps at 47k- 21.5% med
5% govt
14% clerkships with 3.5% federal
5% pi
2% academia
0% unknown

gwu
42% over 135k
29% under 135k
27% ps at 54k- 22% mediocre
13% govt
3% pi
11% clerkships with 5% federal
1% academia
1% unknown

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am

holydonkey wrote:Really believe bottom T-14 = rest of T-18. Not sure Gtown or Cornell is any different than UCLA, Texas, Vandy or USC.

Also - Illinois seems higher than Indiana even though they are ranked the same and Notre Dame seems equal to around WUSTL and Emory. Maybe better.

Indiana is massively over-ranked. Minnesota and Iowa are also slightly over ranked for their placement.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

NosferatuDracon wrote:
By no means am I an expert, i.e. don't take this as fact because it is purely speculation on my part from the little I've read about, on the subject but I would say that any of the top state school programs are great deals regardless of where they are ranked due to getting in state tuition and all. But specifically I'd imagine Alabama, UNC, Ohio State, Colorado, U of Florida, Florida State, Kansas, Louisiana(due to the fact they have a unique legal system), Temple, Pittsburgh... maybe also Kentucky, Utah, Arizona, South Carolina...I'm sure there's plenty more "good deals" just depends on your individual circumstance

If you're not set on working in BigLaw in a major market and could get a really nice scholarship to one of those schools in addition to paying in-state tuition and placed in the top of your class I'd say the regional recruiting would be pretty darn good for you and the pay...even if those markets did pay less then the "standard" BigLaw salaries they have lower COL and you'd have no or very little law school debt to take into consideration.
kansas trolling! go mizzou

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Over-rated:
Indiana

Under-rated:
Notre Dame
BC
GW

Slightly Over-Rated:
WUSTL
Iowa
Minnesota

Slight Under-rated:
W&M
W&L

I say this very loosely based on my perception of their prestige, portability, and job placement.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 pm

People vastly underrate state schools that have a decent market. U. Washington, Colorado, and Florida are the three that come to mind.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:55 pm

overrated: Iowa, Indiana, American, Cardozo, Connecticut

underrated: USD, FSU, Florida, tOSU, Missouri, Nebraska, UNC

Killacam18

New

Post by Killacam18 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks for all the responses. One comment I do have is that in terms of using salaries as an indication of prestige, the market people are working in greatly affects that. As has been mentioned thousands of times, COL needs to be included in your analysis whenever you start looking at salaries. But I think all of your opinions are pretty right on, and was only really looking for gut-feelings anyway. Plus while I've heard some of these things before, why do you think the schools listed are over/underrated?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 pm

(http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... judge.html)

I think a school scoring high in the rankings but not being comparably well regarded by lawyers/judges qualifies as being overrated.

BU, IUB, Alabama and Fordham seem to qualify.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:(http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... judge.html)

I think a school scoring high in the rankings but not being comparably well regarded by lawyers/judges qualifies as being overrated.

I don't think national reputation should really matter post T18ish were all schools become almost exclusively regional.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:(http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... judge.html)

I don't think national reputation should really matter post T18ish were all schools become almost exclusively regional.
To each his own.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Louisiana is underrated if you want to practice in the south or internationally (much of the rest of the world has the civil law system), but in the US outside of Louisiana, LSU is a good school, but a higher ranked school will still look better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Underrated: GW, Hastings, U of Maryland

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:overrated: Iowa, Indiana, American, Cardozo, Connecticut

underrated: USD, FSU, Florida, tOSU, Missouri, Nebraska, UNC
Nebraska is sure to move into the t-2's pretty soon. I think them and Texas Tech are the top schools that are still t-3.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Georgetown is underratedly overrated

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 pm

COOLEY.

lol..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 pm

UNC is an anomally to me, they have a relatively low LSAT median compared to their high quality ranking.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Underrated: George Washington, UNC, Oregon, and Nebraska
Overrated: Boston, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Cincinnati, Pepperdine, Georgia St., UNLV, San Francisco, and Ohio Northern.

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Underrated: George Washington, UNC, Oregon, and Nebraska
Overrated: Boston, Illinois, Indiana, Alabama, Cincinnati, Pepperdine, Georgia St., UNLV, San Francisco, and Ohio Northern.
BC or BU?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Katerina wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Underrated: George Washington, UNC, Oregon, and Nebraska
BC or BU?
BU

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”