T14 $$$ decisions / release dates Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Gold

Re: T14 $$$ decisions / release dates

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 pm

Edited the OP to reflect Chicago $$ decisions via email.

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

crackberry wrote:Edited the OP to reflect Chicago $$ decisions via email.
bumpity bump bump bump

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Since Vanderbilt's basically a T14, I'll go ahead and update this. A crapload of Vandy scholarships went out today.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 pm

So if you have not yet gotten a decision from Penn, does that mean you are out for the Levy?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:14 pm

I just found out, via snail mail, that I received a dean's scholarship ($120K) from Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Dignan wrote:I just found out, via snail mail, that I received a dean's scholarship ($120K) from Cornell.
Wow, congrats. Does it change anything for you?

OP updated momentarily.

seamonkey

New

Post by seamonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:20 pm

crackberry wrote:OP updated momentarily.
Hey crackberry, can you also update the OP to reflect that some Penn Levy/Wilsons have been awarded?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm

seamonkey wrote:
Hey crackberry, can you also update the OP to reflect that some Penn Levy/Wilsons have been awarded?
Done. How? Snail mail? Phone call? Email?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:I just found out, via snail mail, that I received a dean's scholarship ($120K) from Cornell.
Wow, congrats. Does it change anything for you?.
Probably not. I will, however, take a closer look at Cornell. They only offer a total of ten of these, so it's flattering. And flattery does work on me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seamonkey

New

Post by seamonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:25 pm

crackberry wrote:
seamonkey wrote:
Done. How? Snail mail? Phone call? Email?
Thanks! Email followed by snail mail.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Probably not. I will, however, take a closer look at Cornell. They only offer a total of ten of these, so it's flattering. And flattery does work on me.
Given that both Berkeley and NYC >>>>> Ithaca and that both Boalt and CLS > Cornell, I wouldn't blame you for hardly even thinking twice.

A Darrow, on the other hand, would be a different story.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Given that both Berkeley and NYC >>>>> Ithaca and that both Boalt and CLS > Cornell, I wouldn't blame you for hardly even thinking twice.

A Darrow, on the other hand, would be a different story.
In retrospect, I should've applied to Michigan, if only to give me more leverage in the event that I got some scholarship money. I don't care for Ann Arbor, and I didn't like Michigan's application, so I didn't apply. But that was stupid. I should have made an effort to maximize my options. You never know how your thoughts can change as you learn more. Come to think of it, I almost didn't apply to Columbia, and now it's probably my top choice among the schools that have accepted me thus far.

By the way, Cornell only gives you until April 1 to accept the dean's scholarship.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Dignan wrote:By the way, Cornell only gives you until April 1 to accept the dean's scholarship.
Haha ouch. One month should be plenty of time hopefully.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Dignan wrote:I didn't like Michigan's application
?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
?
Haha. I should have been more specific. I don't like that applicants with above-median numbers are expected to submit a groveling "Why Michigan?" essay.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
?
Haha. I should have been more specific. I don't like that applicants with above-median numbers are expected to submit a groveling "Why Michigan?" essay.
Ahh I see. Did you apply to Penn or Virginia?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
?
Looks like he did UVA but not Penn. I didn't even know UVA wanted me to write a 'why us' essay. Maybe thats why I was waitlisted: I showed no interest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:
?
Good question. I did not apply to Penn for the same reasons that I didn't apply to Mich. I did apply to UVA, sans groveling essay, because I received a fee waiver from them. I'm surprised they haven't WL'd me yet (though I'm sure it's coming any day now).

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Dignan wrote:Good question. I did not apply to Penn for the same reasons that I didn't apply to Mich. I did apply to UVA, sans groveling essay, because I received a fee waiver from them. I'm surprised they haven't WL'd me yet (though I'm sure it's coming any day now).
Did you not get fee waivers from Michigan and/or Penn? Or is it that Michigan and Penn require those extra essays while they are only encouraged at UVA?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:46 pm

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:Good question. I did not apply to Penn for the same reasons that I didn't apply to Mich. I did apply to UVA, sans groveling essay, because I received a fee waiver from them. I'm surprised they haven't WL'd me yet (though I'm sure it's coming any day now).
Did you not get fee waivers from Michigan and/or Penn? Or is it that Michigan and Penn require those extra essays while they are only encouraged at UVA?
I didn't get fee waivers at either. UVA was the only T14 school to offer me a fee waiver.

Although I am obviously not a fan of "Why X?" essays, I do like that Penn and Michigan explicitly ask for them. I find UVA's approach--not asking for an essay but expecting you to submit one to show that you really want to go there--to be particularly obnoxious.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Dignan wrote:UVA was the only T14 school to offer me a fee waiver.
Wow. That is shocking. I guess if I hadn't known about TLS, I wouldn't have thought to proactively ask schools for waivers, and I got a number of T14 waivers that way (with a considerably lower LSAT score than you).

I'm pretty surprised you didn't get a PT invite at Duke or a waiver at Michigan though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
Wow. That is shocking. I guess if I hadn't known about TLS, I wouldn't have thought to proactively ask schools for waivers, and I got a number of T14 waivers that way (with a considerably lower LSAT score than you).

I'm pretty surprised you didn't get a PT invite at Duke or a waiver at Michigan though.
Duke can be strange with their PT invites. I know someone who has the same stats as me except a 4.0 and they didn't get PT invite but I did. That is surprising that only UVA offered him a waiver, as I got numerous waivers also. Maybe he didn't sign up for the spam service like the rest of us lol.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm

crackberry wrote:

I was a little surprised as well. I didn't learn about asking for fee waivers until November, when I sent e-mails to several schools. By November, though, it appears that the admissions offices were inundated with fee waiver requests. Each request was rejected, via a standard email, within an hour or two.

As for not getting more automatic fee waivers, a couple of people claimed that some of the top schools (like CLS and Chicago) actually target their fee waivers to applicants with lower, not higher, LSAT scores, on the theory that the high scorers will apply anyway while the lower scorers will need an incentive to apply. The schools can then reject those low scorers and increase their selectivity ratings. I have no idea if there's any truth to this, though.

Edit: Good guess, Jericwithers, but I did sign up for the spam service well before the application cycle began. And, interestingly enough, I got tons of fee waivers from lower ranked schools.

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:35 am

just fyi - not quite T14 but USC offers are in the mail

rogerlodge

New

Post by rogerlodge » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Northwestern sent 1st batch

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.