Columbia Reserved 2018 (the ultimate wait) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SPaya

New

Re: Columbia Reserved 2018 (the ultimate wait)

Post by SPaya » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
SPaya wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:
SPaya wrote:Hey guys,

I'm new to this. Got reserved on March 12th. I haven't received a LOCI reminder though and now I'm a bit concerned.
Should I call and ask about it?
I didn't get one either and didn't think anything of it until you just posted this...does now LOCI reminder mean that they've pretty much already decided no go? Or maybe it's just directed at YP WLers...
But they wouldn't treat people on the watlist differently would they?
LJL
Thanks!

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

refugeelawyer26

New

Post by refugeelawyer26 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:17 pm

What is the best email format for sending additional information to your file? Internships, work, etc?

SPaya

New

Post by SPaya » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:46 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
SPaya wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:
SPaya wrote:But they wouldn't treat people on the watlist differently would they?
LJL
Thanks!
Hahaha sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. It's just that the idea that anything is beyond adcomms, especially in this cycle, is literally laughable to me. But to your original question, I have no idea.
So what do we do? I was planning on sending a LOCI a bit later in the process, waiting to be able to update my resume as well.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:22 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:16 pm

is there a deadline for this loci for those in reserve/wl who didn't receive email requesting one assuming not everyone received it? it seems chances of getting in from a reserve group are like 2% so it looks worse than being a fresh applicant where it'd be 10% or so.

chicago_01

New

Post by chicago_01 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Checking in. Reserved on 2/13. Haven't done anything yet because they mentioned re-evaluating at the end of May, so was planning to send updates mid-May.

1Lofalawyer

New

Post by 1Lofalawyer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:34 pm

One more month till they start reviewing our applications again. The countdown begins, once more.

jimmyjustice

New

Post by jimmyjustice » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 am

Checking in. Not a stranger to the Reserve group as been placed in a prior cycle. Hoped I improved my LSAT enough but I guess we'll see how this round goes. Any advice on how to reach out to show continued interest beyond just responding to the form?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

1Lofalawyer

New

Post by 1Lofalawyer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:17 pm

jimmyjustice wrote:Checking in. Not a stranger to the Reserve group as been placed in a prior cycle. Hoped I improved my LSAT enough but I guess we'll see how this round goes. Any advice on how to reach out to show continued interest beyond just responding to the form?
You could visit the school if that will be of any help. Did anyone from the cycle you were on get in off the Reserve group?
Last edited by 1Lofalawyer on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Checking in. Just got the reserve email.

jimmyjustice

New

Post by jimmyjustice » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:11 pm

1Lofalawyer wrote:
jimmyjustice wrote:Checking in. Not a stranger to the Reserve group as been placed in a prior cycle. Hoped I improved my LSAT enough but I guess we'll see how this round goes. Any advice on how to reach out to show continued interest beyond just responding to the form?
You could visit the school if that will be of any help. Did anyone from the cycle you were on get in off the Reserve group?
Let me go back and check LSN on that, cause its something I didn't follow at the time.

How do visits work? I'm actually in the NY area for literally only the rest of the week. I know in the email it said don't request for an interview or anything like that.

EDIT: I should probably clarify I mean visits in this context. I know on the website it says for just visits in general, drop on by and you can talk with an admissions officer. But I feel like circumstances are completely different if I were to walk in as a Reserve candidate.

1Lofalawyer

New

Post by 1Lofalawyer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:39 pm

jimmyjustice wrote:
1Lofalawyer wrote:
Let me go back and check LSN on that, cause its something I didn't follow at the time.

How do visits work? I'm actually in the NY area for literally only the rest of the week. I know in the email it said don't request for an interview or anything like that.

EDIT: I should probably clarify I mean visits in this context. I know on the website it says for just visits in general, drop on by and you can talk with an admissions officer. But I feel like circumstances are completely different if I were to walk in as a Reserve candidate.
I'm not sure exactly how visits work; I haven't visited myself. I would imagine that speaking to an admission officer as a Reserved candidate would be beneficial at best, and neutral at worst (unless of course you do something out of the ordinary). But yes, you shouldn't request an interview, since the email clearly states that they don't accommodate any such request.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyjustice

New

Post by jimmyjustice » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:01 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
Nope, no different as a reserve candidate. I was in New York a few weeks ago (already reserved) and emailed them ahead of time just to make sure, and they said it was fine. Ended up not going though oops :-/

ETA: And while they say that they won't interview you, that doesn't mean that they won't talk to you. I visited several other schools that make the same claim and had a nice solo sitdown with an adcomm member for 30+ minutes. I think the reason they say that is so that you don't go in there thinking you're getting an "official" admissions interview. Although I also personally believed that my "non-interviews" helped me out, so it might just be another one of the million ways adcomms have figured out how to mindscrew you.
That's fantastic bit of advice, thank you!

Didn't pack a suit or anything, but hopefully I can scrounge up a tie and look decent. Think I should email in advance like you did?

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyjustice

New

Post by jimmyjustice » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:03 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
jimmyjustice wrote:That's fantastic bit of advice, thank you!

Didn't pack a suit or anything, but hopefully I can scrounge up a tie and look decent. Think I should email in advance like you did?
Your call on the email. When I emailed them I didn't ask if I could visit even though I was reserved (although I did say that I was reserved), I just checked to make sure that there were no unanticipated university events that would mean the office hours were cancelled, etc. I also don't really think a tie is necessary, dress pants/shoes and a button down would be fine. Don't worry about the lack of suit though; I think that that would be overdoing it.
Thanks for the all the advice man. I'll just drop-in sans email tomorrow, if not Friday.

Also, just noticed you in the waitlist champions thread. That's insane. Hope things are looking up on all the schools. Thanks for sharing your experiences/advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AwesomeLawyer

New

Post by AwesomeLawyer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:34 am

Anyone knows if there is any chance for people who get accepted off reserve to get any money (at least need based)??

LaraCroftEsq

Bronze

Post by LaraCroftEsq » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Checking in. Shocked considering my microscopic LSAT.

AwesomeLawyer

New

Post by AwesomeLawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:16 pm

I was reserved and my advisor strongly recommended to meet with an admissions officer to discuss my background and ask questions, however, the admissions office said that they do not allow for those types of meetings. Has anyone tried to arrange one? What did you say when they asked you why you want to come? I understand they do not grant admissions interviews on request, but most schools allow to meet with an officer (NYU certainly does) to at least ask general questions and discuss the admissions process, but Columbia seems to be very strict about it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LaraCroftEsq

Bronze

Post by LaraCroftEsq » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:25 pm

AwesomeLawyer wrote:I was reserved and my advisor strongly recommended to meet with an admissions officer to discuss my background and ask questions, however, the admissions office said that they do not allow for those types of meetings. Has anyone tried to arrange one? What did you say when they asked you why you want to come? I understand they do not grant admissions interviews on request, but most schools allow to meet with an officer (NYU certainly does) to at least ask general questions and discuss the admissions process, but Columbia seems to be very strict about it.
You're definitely allowed to speak to someone. They're only strict about interviews.

From MyColumbiaLaw:

Open-Door Policy

Columbia Law School wishes to remain as available as possible to prospective students. The Office of Admissions does maintain a liberal open-door policy for prospective students and applicants who would like to speak with an admissions officer. No appointment is necessary, and you may speak with an officer on a call-in or walk-in basis during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:27 pm

Checking in, sticking it out because yolo

grwfews4546

New

Post by grwfews4546 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 am

Checking in guys!

Does anybody have any idea how many people are actually on the waitlist? Judging by this thread it can't be that many...

Bird Lawyer

New

Post by Bird Lawyer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:09 pm

grwfews4546 wrote:Checking in guys!

Does anybody have any idea how many people are actually on the waitlist? Judging by this thread it can't be that many...
There aren't many yet because we're all held. Come April 24, there will be a sharp uptick in posting and neuroticism ITT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”