Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Bailey1963

New

Re: Military Law

Post by Bailey1963 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:38 pm

Are AF judge advocates able to participate in the Palace Chase program?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:48 pm

Bailey1963 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:38 pm
Are you asking if an active duty AF JAG can Palace Chase into the Reserve/Guard at the 2/3rds mark of their first four years?

I have never heard of that - everyone in my experience that comes in RegAF has served their first four years as RegAF. That said, this is a question I am sure JAX can answer for you definitively.

Bailey1963

New

Post by Bailey1963 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:44 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:48 pm
Bailey1963 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:38 pm
Are you asking if an active duty AF JAG can Palace Chase into the Reserve/Guard at the 2/3rds mark of their first four years?

I have never heard of that - everyone in my experience that comes in RegAF has served their first four years as RegAF. That said, this is a question I am sure JAX can answer for you definitively.
Yes that's what I was referring to. I know it's open to officers (permitting manning needs) but I wasn't sure if JAGs are disqualified from participating. I can't imagine the AF is willing to let a JAG switch to the reserves as easily as they would an enlisted. I'll call JAX and see what they say

GreyHand23

New

Post by GreyHand23 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:58 pm

soccerplaer wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:59 am
GreyHand23 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:35 pm
Anyone heard back from August AF board?
I got the call this morning that I was accepted, so I imagine it should happen this week for those that are waiting.
Congrats! You on the east or west coast? I still haven’t heard anything so fingers crossed.
Sorry for the late reply. I am in Texas so neither coast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:57 am

I've heard the requirements for Army Jag are alot more lax recently- specifically from the interviewer I talked to.

I've got my heart set on JAG but, frankly, my grades are subpar at a T20. I am planning on applying but should I even get my hopes up at this point? She acted like anyone who applied was, if not guranteed a job had a very good chance but I've heard how dang selective it is and am just beaten down by rejection after rejection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:28 am

Same user as before- I should add I don't think I can get 3 letters of rec by October 1st, but I can definitely do it when the second wave of applications open in January I believe it is.

Just want to know if it is even worth the effort. Figure I will blanket all the branches but still...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:57 am
I've heard the requirements for Army Jag are alot more lax recently- specifically from the interviewer I talked to.

I've got my heart set on JAG but, frankly, my grades are subpar at a T20. I am planning on applying but should I even get my hopes up at this point? She acted like anyone who applied was, if not guranteed a job had a very good chance but I've heard how dang selective it is and am just beaten down by rejection after rejection.
I wouldn't say that it's significantly more relaxed, but I would encourage you to finish your application if you've already done an interview. You're so close to completing the application already. A good interview, good extracurriculars (even if non-legal extracurriculars), a unique skillset, or a strong job history can overcome grades. Also, being at a T20 matters and the board will consider that when comparing your grades to other candidates who may be at a much lower ranked school.

Your heart is set on JAG. Let's say you get a rejection from this board.

You have 6 months to get involved in new organizations/activities, smash your exams this fall, get in better shape, etc. It can be extremely compelling when a repeat candidate can articulate things they've done to improve since their last application.
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:28 am
Same user as before- I should add I don't think I can get 3 letters of rec by October 1st, but I can definitely do it when the second wave of applications open in January I believe it is.
Is there a particular reason why? If you have 3+ people willing to write one, it's worth chatting (in person or via phone) just explaining that you need it by next Friday if at all possible. I think you'd be surprised how willing they would be to turn it around quickly.

soccerplaer

New

Post by soccerplaer » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:01 pm

GreyHand23 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:58 pm
soccerplaer wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:59 am
GreyHand23 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:35 pm
Anyone heard back from August AF board?
I got the call this morning that I was accepted, so I imagine it should happen this week for those that are waiting.
Congrats! You on the east or west coast? I still haven’t heard anything so fingers crossed.
Sorry for the late reply. I am in Texas so neither coast.
No worries! I wasn’t selected. Going to reapply.

wet_tissue_paper22

New

Post by wet_tissue_paper22 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:25 am

Hey all,

Did any applicants to this year's Army JAG accessions program ever actually receive a completeness review from JARO? I submitted a Reserve JAG application early in the window and was told to expect an email once they had reviewed for completeness, but never did. I presume that that is par for the course, but wanted to see if anyone else had heard anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brickpainter

New

Post by brickpainter » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 pm

wet_tissue_paper22 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:25 am
Hey all,

Did any applicants to this year's Army JAG accessions program ever actually receive a completeness review from JARO? I submitted a Reserve JAG application early in the window and was told to expect an email once they had reviewed for completeness, but never did. I presume that that is par for the course, but wanted to see if anyone else had heard anything.
I did receive an email confirming the completeness review and the status of my application was updated in the JARO application portal. You may want to email JARO to check on that. I also received a completeness confirmation after I submitted my application to the internship program when I applied last year, so at least for me, not hearing back is not par for the course.

wet_tissue_paper22

New

Post by wet_tissue_paper22 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:40 pm

brickpainter wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 pm
Hey all,

I did receive an email confirming the completeness review and the status of my application was updated in the JARO application portal. You may want to email JARO to check on that. I also received a completeness confirmation after I submitted my application to the internship program when I applied last year, so at least for me, not hearing back is not par for the course.
Nuts - had a feeling something was up. Thanks for the info though, I'll go ahead and contact them!

Bp06

New

Post by Bp06 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:59 pm

Hi, everyone!
Selected for DA AF JAG, I also have a pending application (fall portal that just closed 10/10) for Navy direct appointment. Should I notify Navy I’ve been selected by AF if I’m genuinely interested in both? Or, just let it ride without notifying them and see what happens?

ckndnr

New

Post by ckndnr » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:37 am

Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:40 pm
brickpainter wrote:
Hey all,

Nuts - had a feeling something was up. Thanks for the info though, I'll go ahead and contact them!
Did you end up hearing back/any news on the completeness review? in the same boat over here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ckndnr

New

Post by ckndnr » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:39 am

Have you had any luck with that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:48 am

brickpainter wrote:
Hey all,

Have you had any luck with reaching out? I'm in the same boat over here

wet_tissue_paper22

New

Post by wet_tissue_paper22 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am

ckndnr wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:39 am
Have you had any luck with that?
Yes! I got in touch with JARO and they confirmed that they have my application and it is pending review. They also stated that the files will be reviewed multiple times before it is presented to the board and if anything is needed anything prior to the board, we will be contacted directly (no contact meaning that no issues have been found).

So, it sounds like they are backed up but even if the application window has closed, we should have the opportunity to correct any issues with our application without delaying consideration.

wet_tissue_paper22

New

Post by wet_tissue_paper22 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:48 am
brickpainter wrote:
Hey all,

Have you had any luck with reaching out? I'm in the same boat over here
Just replied to another commenter above - got in contact with JARO and they confirmed my application was on hand and would have the opportunity to correct any issues without delaying consideration to next cycle

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:45 pm

August AF board progress:

Anyone else selected from August board waiting for next steps still? I received an email with an authorization requiring signature. Then I received an email that someone new was taking over. The new person sent an email asking for the authorization, which I re-sent. Haven’t heard anything back yet. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a call to talk about MEPS/next steps.
(All of my required docs have been uploaded or mailed already.)

Bp06

New

Post by Bp06 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:52 pm

I’ve emailed three separate time since the new person took over and have not heard back at all. I asked if I needed to resubmit everything through the portal, but it’s been crickets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:25 am

Do we know when we're expecting board decisions for AD Army?

ShortTimeLurker

New

Post by ShortTimeLurker » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am

howell wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:46 pm
ShortTimeLurker wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:33 pm
I want to join to get national security law (operations law) experience and then move to something like the DOD Office of General Counsel's International Affairs Division. (Or any similar agency that advises on national security law.)
Question for the group - would the Navy be the best option here? I have traditionally seen them as much more focused on Ops. They seem to live and breathe it whereas maybe 10% of AF JAGs get to do anything remotely interesting in the Ops world, and an even smaller percentage are approaching competent in this area.
I have heard that the Army and Navy have more ops work to go around. But I spoke to an ops attorney for the USAF and his opinion was that I shouldn't discount any branch for ops law if that's what I really want to do. I will speak to another USAF space law attorney soon, and I'll ask him how hard it is to break into ops law in the USAF. I'll report back on what he tells me.

Additionally, I just had a Marine JAG and a federal national security attorney tell me that the USAF might have more intelligence law issues because of signals intelligence collected by the Space Force. Each branch probably has different areas of focus within national security law. So the Navy needs to stay on top of the law of the sea issues and aviation law, the USAF needs to think about aviation law and SALT treaties and intel handling, and the Army needs to think about the Geneva conventions. YMMV.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:33 pm

Has anyone heard back about the Navy JAG Fall Student Program Board yet?

ShortTimeLurker

New

Post by ShortTimeLurker » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:37 pm

ShortTimeLurker wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:25 am
howell wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:46 pm
ShortTimeLurker wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:33 pm
I want to join to get national security law (operations law) experience and then move to something like the DOD Office of General Counsel's International Affairs Division. (Or any similar agency that advises on national security law.)
Question for the group - would the Navy be the best option here? I have traditionally seen them as much more focused on Ops. They seem to live and breathe it whereas maybe 10% of AF JAGs get to do anything remotely interesting in the Ops world, and an even smaller percentage are approaching competent in this area.
I have heard that the Army and Navy have more ops work to go around. But I spoke to an ops attorney for the USAF and his opinion was that I shouldn't discount any branch for ops law if that's what I really want to do. I will speak to another USAF space law attorney soon, and I'll ask him how hard it is to break into ops law in the USAF. I'll report back on what he tells me.

Additionally, I just had a Marine JAG and a federal national security attorney tell me that the USAF might have more intelligence law issues because of signals intelligence collected by the Space Force. Each branch probably has different areas of focus within national security law. So the Navy needs to stay on top of the law of the sea issues and aviation law, the USAF needs to think about aviation law and SALT treaties and intel handling, and the Army needs to think about the Geneva conventions. YMMV.
I spoke to the space law attorney. She basically told me that Army and Navy do more national security work in every realm except space law. Makes sense.

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:12 pm

ShortTimeLurker wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:37 pm
I spoke to the space law attorney. She basically told me that Army and Navy do more national security work in every realm except space law. Makes sense.
I'd imagine that national security law is a common position in every branch, it's an integral part of JAG's toolbelt when advising Commanders. In the Army for example, most CPTs will dabble in it to some degree before hitting Major, often in a formal NSL billet. But specialty fields like cyber, intel, space, and admiralty law will be a bit more branch specific. Specialty positions also tend to be more selective than general NSL jobs (at least in the Army).

ckndnr

New

Post by ckndnr » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:38 am

Just got the email that I was selected for Army AD so anyone that's waiting, it's looking like people should be hearing today/soon!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”