Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:17 pm

ckndnr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:38 am
Just got the email that I was selected for Army AD so anyone that's waiting, it's looking like people should be hearing today/soon!
I got a call over the weekend that I was selected, but have not received an email yet!

akroth00

New

Post by akroth00 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:27 pm

Just got notified this morning of my selection for the Army Internship. Does anybody have any insight on the process going forward? (information timeline, location assignment, etc.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:27 am

I got the call Saturday evening that I was selected for Army JAG AD and then I got the call last night that I was professionally recommended for Navy JAG! So, for everyone wondering, you should be hearing from both very soon.

wet_tissue_paper22

New

Post by wet_tissue_paper22 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:27 pm

ckndnr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:38 am
Just got the email that I was selected for Army AD so anyone that's waiting, it's looking like people should be hearing today/soon!
Congrats to you! That's an awesome accomplishment, best of luck with your decision and the rest of the accessions process.

brickpainter

New

Post by brickpainter » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:48 pm

Army internship decisions just got sent out as well FYI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wet_tissue_paper22

New

Post by wet_tissue_paper22 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:59 pm

Just received the email notifying me I was selected for Army Reserve, so emails should be out or going out shortly!

brickpainter

New

Post by brickpainter » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:51 am

akroth00 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:27 pm
Just got notified this morning of my selection for the Army Internship. Does anybody have any insight on the process going forward? (information timeline, location assignment, etc.)
Congrats! You should have gotten a link to a survey to fill out. This survey will include your preferred post locations, 1-8. If you put one of the larger posts as your top choice you’re a lot more likely to get it. You should have a bunch of paperwork to do in a month or so, but for now it should just be your survey and preferred locations.

Either in about a month or around April, you’re likely to hear about your location and get contacted by your sponsor, who is a person at the post you got that is supposed to take care of all your local questions. They’re supposed to help you a bit with housing, but in my experience my sponsor was only able to do so much here; he could tell us the good areas or properties to stay at, but it’s on you to make sure you list bases where you think you’ll be able to find housing, and then to select and apply for an apartment once you find out what post you got.

If you have any more specific questions I’d be happy to answer. I did the 1L internship and it sounds like you’re in the 2L program given the fact that you just got notified, so it might not be identical to your experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:43 pm

Army JAGs enter active duty as first lieutenants and are promoted to captain after six months. Is this the case for reservists as well? It seems to me that being promoted to captain after only six months as a reservist (assuming no prior service) is awfully fast...

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:43 pm
Army JAGs enter active duty as first lieutenants and are promoted to captain after six months. Is this the case for reservists as well? It seems to me that being promoted to captain after only six months as a reservist (assuming no prior service) is awfully fast...
No, it's quite a bit slower for reservists. If I recall, it was about 12-18 months for most of them to get promoted. Some NG were even slower than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gbr17

New

Post by gbr17 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:09 pm

I got accepted into Army JAG this week but have some concerns about my medical clearance because I was taking antidepressants a year ago but stopped early last January. I've been open with my doctor about wanting to serve in JAG for years and she's always said that if I did get accepted she'd do everything in her power to help me get through the red tape. But I don't want to commit to the offer if it's going to be taken from me later but I only have two weeks to give the Army an answer.

Does anyone know how I should go about navigating this?

ckndnr

New

Post by ckndnr » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:04 pm

brickpainter wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:51 am
akroth00 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:27 pm
Congrats! You should have gotten a link to a survey to fill out. This survey will include your preferred post locations, 1-8. If you put one of the larger posts as your top choice you’re a lot more likely to get it. You should have a bunch of paperwork to do in a month or so, but for now it should just be your survey and preferred locations.

Either in about a month or around April, you’re likely to hear about your location and get contacted by your sponsor, who is a person at the post you got that is supposed to take care of all your local questions. They’re supposed to help you a bit with housing, but in my experience my sponsor was only able to do so much here; he could tell us the good areas or properties to stay at, but it’s on you to make sure you list bases where you think you’ll be able to find housing, and then to select and apply for an apartment once you find out what post you got.

If you have any more specific questions I’d be happy to answer. I did the 1L internship and it sounds like you’re in the 2L program given the fact that you just got notified, so it might not be identical to your experience.
Thanks for the info! I've just gotten and submitted my letter of intent for now. I'm planning on taking the bar early so dont know about timeline.

Bdk21

New

Post by Bdk21 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:39 am

Has anyone heard from AF JAG?

ShortTimeLurker

New

Post by ShortTimeLurker » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:37 am

Bdk21 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:39 am
Not yet. I'm on the edge of my seat, frankly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:03 am

ShortTimeLurker wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:37 am
Bdk21 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:39 am
Not yet. I'm on the edge of my seat, frankly.
I’ve been scouring the internet and social media for any news. I just want to know. It’s killing me.

sgeorge00

New

Post by sgeorge00 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:55 pm

Yeah I'm still waiting for Air Force JAG as well. Fingers crossed they get to us early next week

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 pm

Army just revealed a new summer internship program which appears to be angled towards recruitment for DoD Civilian jobs, as you'll be working in offices that tend to be civilian-heavy.

------

The U.S. Army JAG Corps Summer Associate Program will hire first and second year law students to serve as paid summer associates within select JAG Corps legal offices across the country. For sixty (60) days, summer associates will perform assignments in the areas of family law, estate planning, landlord-tenant law, environmental law, labor and employment law, contract and fiscal law and more.

Summer Associates will gain invaluable insights into life as a federal attorney. The purpose of the U.S. Army JAG Corps Summer Associate Program is to bring increased awareness and interest to civilian attorney positions within the U.S. Army JAG Corps and attract talented, hard-working, and energetic legal minds into our civilian attorney ranks. The U.S. Army JAG Corps Summer Associate Program is separate and apart from the U.S. Army JAG Corps Intern Program, which provides law school students the opportunity to observe U.S. Army active duty and reserve judge advocates.

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/GoArmyJAG/ ... te-Program

Bdk21

New

Post by Bdk21 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:18 pm

I heard back from AF JAG today!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:17 pm

Got the Air Force JAG call today - my SJA told me that his email with selected people came in last night. good luck everyone!

BearsCubs23

New

Post by BearsCubs23 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:05 am

I wanna first thank everyone who contributes to this goldmine of info. Been reading through this thread the last year and a half or so and it’s fantastic.

I’m a 2L at a T14 on Law Review, and I’m going to a V10 firm next summer and hopefully after graduation. Having debt, the opportunity to take advantage of T14 OCI, and wanting to do BigLaw, I decided during 1L that JAG didn’t make sense even though I’ve wanted to serve and should have before law school.

I recently saw a Reddit post where a commenter stated they know someone who went to Duke Law, then JAG, then a federal clerkship, then BigLaw.

Couple questions:
1. How common is it to be able to get a federal clerkship after JAG?
2. Would a federal clerkship post-JAG significantly improve odds of getting into/back into BigLaw than just going JAG to BigLaw?
3. How delusional is it to even ask y’all about the possibility of a 3-4 year V10 BigLaw stint, 4-year JAG stint, federal clerkship, and back to BigLaw? (Assuming for argument’s sake I’d even be competitive for JAG, which I doubt I would be at that point)

I know calling that path a stretch is a laughable understatement, but just wanted to see if anyone thinks it’s remotely possible.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:14 pm

Interesting set of questions here!
BearsCubs23 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:05 am
I might use the word "atypical." I don't think it is as common for JAGs to go the clerkship route because many of us just go straight into some form of employment when we separate/retire. Good JAGs are very marketable in a lot of circles. If you have years of felony level court-martial experience, or a GW LLM in Labor Law, you don't really need a clerkship springboard into full time work - depending on your professional goals of course.

As I said to the other OP who you reference, I personally I wish I had at least explored clerking. Looking back at my professional career, I am not sure if it would have made any major difference, though who knows.

I know a handful that have done it. One was a brilliant HYS law guy that went to a prestigious Circuit clerkship. Another was an above average JAG that went to a District and clearly either had some connections there or was very effective at marketing themselves. But most who get out, are going to end up directly working for BigFed, some level of firm, or whatever other path they find for themselves.
BearsCubs23 wrote:
2. Would a federal clerkship post-JAG significantly improve odds of getting into/back into BigLaw than just going JAG to BigLaw?
Probably. I still think you can get there without the clerkship credential given you are bringing T14 creds, law review, and along with Summer time at a V10.

I don't think corporate/transactional shops are going to really want you post-JAG. But if you blaze the right trail as a JAG (if you kick ass trying cases, you will be appealing to the White Collar practice groups for example), you will have a SME that you can effectively market.
BearsCubs23 wrote:
3. How delusional is it to even ask y’all about the possibility of a 3-4 year V10 BigLaw stint, 4-year JAG stint, federal clerkship, and back to BigLaw? (Assuming for argument’s sake I’d even be competitive for JAG, which I doubt I would be at that point)
I am not sure it would be delusional - but I am not sure if it is the smartest path overall, depending on your end goal here.

At least in the Air Force, your first four years are really sunk in the "generalist" category. You will do a lot of different things, which will vary on the bases to which you are assigned. It is after the base-legal tours that you get to do the more specialized work such as trial defense, circuit counsel, etc.

So what you'd be selling a firm after those four years in terms of unique skill set is an open question for me. And where does that put you in terms of the firm? You are now 8-9 years post law school. They will bring you in as a senior associate, probably. You likely will not have any book of business to offer them. And if you are hoping to make partner, you are not leaving yourself tons of time.

BearsCubs23

New

Post by BearsCubs23 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:41 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:14 pm
Interesting set of questions here!
BearsCubs23 wrote:
I might use the word "atypical." I don't think it is as common for JAGs to go the clerkship route because many of us just go straight into some form of employment when we separate/retire. Good JAGs are very marketable in a lot of circles. If you have years of felony level court-martial experience, or a GW LLM in Labor Law, you don't really need a clerkship springboard into full time work - depending on your professional goals of course.

As I said to the other OP who you reference, I personally I wish I had at least explored clerking. Looking back at my professional career, I am not sure if it would have made any major difference, though who knows.

I know a handful that have done it. One was a brilliant HYS law guy that went to a prestigious Circuit clerkship. Another was an above average JAG that went to a District and clearly either had some connections there or was very effective at marketing themselves. But most who get out, are going to end up directly working for BigFed, some level of firm, or whatever other path they find for themselves.
BearsCubs23 wrote:
Probably. I still think you can get there without the clerkship credential given you are bringing T14 creds, law review, and along with Summer time at a V10.

I don't think corporate/transactional shops are going to really want you post-JAG. But if you blaze the right trail as a JAG (if you kick ass trying cases, you will be appealing to the White Collar practice groups for example), you will have a SME that you can effectively market.
BearsCubs23 wrote:
I am not sure it would be delusional - but I am not sure if it is the smartest path overall, depending on your end goal here.

At least in the Air Force, your first four years are really sunk in the "generalist" category. You will do a lot of different things, which will vary on the bases to which you are assigned. It is after the base-legal tours that you get to do the more specialized work such as trial defense, circuit counsel, etc.

So what you'd be selling a firm after those four years in terms of unique skill set is an open question for me. And where does that put you in terms of the firm? You are now 8-9 years post law school. They will bring you in as a senior associate, probably. You likely will not have any book of business to offer them. And if you are hoping to make partner, you are not leaving yourself tons of time.
Wow, really appreciate you taking the time to read this and answer my questions so thoroughly. So much fantastic information. Thank you.

Really my only follow up question would be about the “bring you in as a senior associate” part. That’s what I assumed would be the case, and I know BigLaw usually hires you based on your graduation year.

However, is there any possibility that BigLaw firms would let someone come in (after the hypothetical 3-4 year BigLaw, 4 year JAG stints) as a 4th or 5th year mid level associate? Is that ever something you can request? Setting aside what I’d be selling the firm and everything else that would come into play. I assume it’s unlikely, but thought I’d ask.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ckndnr

New

Post by ckndnr » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:05 pm

This is a dumb question but - does anyone know what the implications of signing the letter of intent for the army is? Is that a hard commit or if I got an offer that I didn't think I was not going to get within the commitment timeframe and said yes I could turn it down later?

Bop

New

Post by Bop » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:46 am

ckndnr wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:05 pm
This is a dumb question but - does anyone know what the implications of signing the letter of intent for the army is? Is that a hard commit or if I got an offer that I didn't think I was not going to get within the commitment timeframe and said yes I could turn it down later?
Double check the letter for the wording that it "does not create a military service obligation." If it's that letter, then it's a soft commit. You can back out if you get a different job offer, but your name is on the JAG Corps' radar and you're expected to be meeting deadlines and taking steps towards commissioning. If you need to back out, do it gracefully; if you just ghost JARO you may be burning any future chance of going Army JAG.

murpjame4564

New

Air Force JAG GLP

Post by murpjame4564 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:51 pm

Hey all! I am incoming 1L at Law School TBD. But I am highly interested in doing the Air Force JAG GLP Program. I was wondering if somebody could give me their experience in terms of the application process and managing ROTC and law school. Thank you!

MSUN5

Bronze

Post by MSUN5 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:27 pm

gbr17 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:09 pm
I got accepted into Army JAG this week but have some concerns about my medical clearance because I was taking antidepressants a year ago but stopped early last January. I've been open with my doctor about wanting to serve in JAG for years and she's always said that if I did get accepted she'd do everything in her power to help me get through the red tape. But I don't want to commit to the offer if it's going to be taken from me later but I only have two weeks to give the Army an answer.

Does anyone know how I should go about navigating this?
Just disclose it and don't worry. They'll ask for all your records so you can get a headstart on requesting them if you want. But bottom line is you'll be fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”