Class of 2014 Attorney Advisor FedGov AMA Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
androstan

Gold

Class of 2014 Attorney Advisor FedGov AMA

Post by androstan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:20 am

Happy to contribute my experience, thoughts, and knowledge.

Anonymous User

Re: Class of 2014 Attorney Advisor FedGov AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:37 pm

How did you get the job? What kind of work is it? What are hours like? Biggest benefits and drawbacks? Do you plan working there until retirement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:35 pm

Can you share how you got to your position?

Currently going through my 2nd cycle of honors attorney apps. Breaking into fed gov feels absurdly hard and they interview too many people. I'm trying to stay hopeful as I'm getting more invites this year, but concerned I won't break in again. I've been trying to stay flexible geographically, but I'm concerned I'm going to regret that.

Any advice for those of us trying to be in your position down the line?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:21 am

I did decently in law school, top quarter at a T25, worked in private practice for eight years in biglaw in my practice area (a particular type of federal litigation), was elevated to counsel, and then applied and interviewed for fedgov and interviewed well enough to get hired. I had been applying since about 5 years of private practice experience. I think a combination of having the right amount of experience and just the timing in terms of how many qualified applicants I was competing against at 8th year versus 5th year worked in my favor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”