Staying at Fellowship or Potential Offer Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User
Posts: 385059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Staying at Fellowship or Potential Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:25 pm

I am currently doing a fellowship at a nonprofit for one year, ending in Sept. 2022 with the possibility of staying on as an associate attorney. But, understandably, HR isn't able to give me an offer because it will depend on my performance and my host organization's budget (TBD in Summer 2022). At the same time, this fellowship is different from other fellowships at my host org in that it is the only fellowship incorporated in the career ladder, and last year's fellow stayed on. I've talked to her but not explicitly about how I have been applying. I really love it here and can see myself here for the long term.

However, given last year's uncertainty and rejection when I was applying to jobs/clerkships when I was a 3L, I am really nervous about not having anything lined up come Sept. 2022. I interviewed with the Environmental & Policy Center (after references, writing samples) and have a call scheduled this Friday, which sounds like maybe an offer.

My dilemma is choosing between maybe an offer from ELPC or betting on myself and waiting for my host org to decide if they want to keep me on (which they have expressed). I can see the perks of each side and was wondering if anyone knows more about ELPC? ELPC would be higher pay, closer to home, and certainty, but I have heard some mixed reviews about working there. But my host org is fantastic: I contribute a lot, the org does great work, and it has strong mentors. I've interned at another non-profit and government in the past.

I would appreciate any thoughts! And sorry to dump my problems on you!

Anon-non-anon

Bronze
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Re: Staying at Fellowship or Potential Offer

Post by Anon-non-anon » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 pm

I would be honest with the host org if you receive an offer from other place, starting with the former fellow. They might be able to offer a little more clarity / the conversation will be less weird if you can genuinely say (which sounds like is true) "I'd love to stay here but i have this other great offer which is hard to turn down without a sense of whether I'll be invited to stay." They may tell you it's just down to the budget, which sucks, but at least you'll know performance wise you're fine.

People move around a lot, I always think honesty is the best policy (within reason and sometimes only after another offer is in). If people react poorly to your reasonable concern, that says something too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 385059
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Staying at Fellowship or Potential Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:56 pm

Anon-non-anon wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 pm
I would be honest with the host org if you receive an offer from other place, starting with the former fellow. They might be able to offer a little more clarity / the conversation will be less weird if you can genuinely say (which sounds like is true) "I'd love to stay here but i have this other great offer which is hard to turn down without a sense of whether I'll be invited to stay." They may tell you it's just down to the budget, which sucks, but at least you'll know performance wise you're fine.

People move around a lot, I always think honesty is the best policy (within reason and sometimes only after another offer is in). If people react poorly to your reasonable concern, that says something too.
Thanks, this helps! I'm going with this option. :)

Anon-non-anon

Bronze
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Re: Staying at Fellowship or Potential Offer

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:56 pm
Anon-non-anon wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 pm
I would be honest with the host org if you receive an offer from other place, starting with the former fellow. They might be able to offer a little more clarity / the conversation will be less weird if you can genuinely say (which sounds like is true) "I'd love to stay here but i have this other great offer which is hard to turn down without a sense of whether I'll be invited to stay." They may tell you it's just down to the budget, which sucks, but at least you'll know performance wise you're fine.

People move around a lot, I always think honesty is the best policy (within reason and sometimes only after another offer is in). If people react poorly to your reasonable concern, that says something too.
Thanks, this helps! I'm going with this option. :)
LMK how it goes!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”