DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022 Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm

Applications opened today, so figured I'd get this started. Anyone know if the references are supposed to be from professors or summer employers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Whoever knows you best and will give the best reference.

bbonds675

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by bbonds675 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm
Applications opened today, so figured I'd get this started. Anyone know if the references are supposed to be from professors or summer employers?
The Honors Progam Application Tips websites says "professional" references. I understand this to mean that law school professors and/or summer employers are "professional" for the purposes of this application. They are in the legal profession and can attest to skills that make you a quailfied candidate.

bbonds675

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:22 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by bbonds675 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:32 pm

The Honors Progam Application Tips websites says "professional" references. I understand this to mean that law school professors and/or summer employers are "professional" for the purposes of this application. They are in the legal profession and can attest to skills that make you a quailfied candidate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:22 pm

In with the first "how should I rank these things" question of the cycle!

I've heard (read in previous years' threads) that certain components, like CRM, do not look kindly on not ranking them first. Does anyone happen to have any inside info or semi-supported suspicions as to how the formally participating USAO (AZ) views the rankings? I'd slightly prefer the USAO over main justice and don't want to shut myself out, but I also don't want to forgo a shot at 9 slots I'd be stoked about for a shot at 2 slots I'd be a tiny bit more stoked about today, but probably wouldn't care in the long run.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:10 pm

I know someone who ranked USAO AZ last of the three components and got hired there. As long as you can make clear in your essays why you want the USAO and what you bring to the table, the ranking won’t matter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Anyone else not able to create an Avue account? Keep getting an error that my chosen user ID is not available, no matter what username I try (up to and including strings of 29 random characters). Seems like a bug but want to make sure

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:24 am

Anyone have information on the writing samples they ask for if they move forward with your application? Are they generally required by all components? I was on a journal and my note was complete ass.

For context, I am applying exclusively to EOIR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:01 am

EOIR will ask you for a writing sample. I can’t remember the parameters, though I think the sample I used was around 10 pages.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:24 am
Anyone have information on the writing samples they ask for if they move forward with your application? Are they generally required by all components? I was on a journal and my note was complete ass.

For context, I am applying exclusively to EOIR.
You will get an email with information if selected for an interview. But you can see the criteria for each component here (this goes for both SLIP and HP): https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/c ... rn-program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:24 am
Anyone have information on the writing samples they ask for if they move forward with your application? Are they generally required by all components? I was on a journal and my note was complete ass.

For context, I am applying exclusively to EOIR.
You will get an email with information if selected for an interview. But you can see the criteria for each component here (this goes for both SLIP and HP): https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/c ... rn-program.
Thank you so much!!

Lawbrah2020

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Lawbrah2020 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am

Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am

Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
So we can laugh at him later on

Lawbrah2020

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Lawbrah2020 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Wasn't trying to flex at all. I assumed this thread was like the admissions, transfer, and clerkship forms, where everyone posts their stats so future generations can see what you need to get interviewed and hired. That was always super helpful to me.

I'll go ahead and delete my stuff

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Excuse me, I can't delete it apparently.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Excuse me, I can't delete it apparently.
I think the point is that schools and stats in the context of HPs are not particularly helpful. Outside of being grade sensitive, DOJ hires from any school, 3Ls, and those with or without clerking experience. So basically you don’t see people putting their “stats” in this sub because there isn’t really a correlation with stats and outcome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Excuse me, I can't delete it apparently.
I think the point is that schools and stats in the context of HPs are not particularly helpful. Outside of being grade sensitive, DOJ hires from any school, 3Ls, and those with or without clerking experience. So basically you don’t see people putting their “stats” in this sub because there isn’t really a correlation with stats and outcome.
I'm not sure this is accurate. Maybe for EOIR this is true, but I'm pretty sure you aren't getting an interview for the civil rights division if you were top 50% at a T30 with no clerkship. I remember scouring this forum (and reddit) during my 1L year, trying to figure out how well I'd have to do in order to be competitive for the highly-sought components. What I recall was a general frustration with a lack of information.

At any rate, I can see I've made others uncomfortable, so apologies. I'll keep my progress, etc to myself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Excuse me, I can't delete it apparently.
I think the point is that schools and stats in the context of HPs are not particularly helpful. Outside of being grade sensitive, DOJ hires from any school, 3Ls, and those with or without clerking experience. So basically you don’t see people putting their “stats” in this sub because there isn’t really a correlation with stats and outcome.
There is a long history of posting stats in these threads, actually. And clerking isn't so much a stat as much as it's experience that makes a big difference for a lot of components (DOJ does hire out of a lot of schools, but obviously being at a top school isn't going to hurt, it's just not sufficient in the absence of other stuff they look for).

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:43 pm

It’s useful to post stats once you get an interview/offer. Not sure what the value is before that….
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Excuse me, I can't delete it apparently.
I think the point is that schools and stats in the context of HPs are not particularly helpful. Outside of being grade sensitive, DOJ hires from any school, 3Ls, and those with or without clerking experience. So basically you don’t see people putting their “stats” in this sub because there isn’t really a correlation with stats and outcome.
There is a long history of posting stats in these threads, actually. And clerking isn't so much a stat as much as it's experience that makes a big difference for a lot of components (DOJ does hire out of a lot of schools, but obviously being at a top school isn't going to hurt, it's just not sufficient in the absence of other stuff they look for).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 8205
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am
Lawbrah2020 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 am
Checking in. YHS, more or less perfect grades, COA and Dist. Ct. Clerk
:roll: why flex in a sub meant for updates? Seems relevant to add the list of all the schools DOJ hired from last cycle: https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/law-schools
Excuse me, I can't delete it apparently.
I think the point is that schools and stats in the context of HPs are not particularly helpful. Outside of being grade sensitive, DOJ hires from any school, 3Ls, and those with or without clerking experience. So basically you don’t see people putting their “stats” in this sub because there isn’t really a correlation with stats and outcome.
I'm not sure this is accurate. Maybe for EOIR this is true, but I'm pretty sure you aren't getting an interview for the civil rights division if you were top 50% at a T30 with no clerkship. I remember scouring this forum (and reddit) during my 1L year, trying to figure out how well I'd have to do in order to be competitive for the highly-sought components. What I recall was a general frustration with a lack of information.

At any rate, I can see I've made others uncomfortable, so apologies. I'll keep my progress, etc to myself.
I would say that to the extent posting stats is useful, it's after the interviews have gone out. It's helpful to know the sort of credentials needed to garner an interview at X component.

traderjoe3

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by traderjoe3 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Does anybody know how other Honor Programs work in conjunction with DOJHP? I.e, if you get selected for another agency HP are they going to make offers before DOJ? It was my impression that everyone else waited on DOJ but I can’t remember if I actually heard/saw that somewhere or imagined it

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 pm

I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. The hiring all goes on around the same time but I don’t believe there’s any coordination (and there’s no reason there would be any - other agencies want top candidates too). And at least for EOIR, offers can keep trickling out through December into January sometimes, so that would screw up other agencies’ schedules.

That said, a number of other HPs do have slightly later timelines (or at least, did when I went through this), like DOL, NLRB, ACE, and Interior. DHS was right around the same time. I had no traction with the financial-type programs so can’t comment on those. I definitely have seen people post that they turned down DOJ because they had an offer from another HP, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 380730
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors Program 2021-2022

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:02 am

Does anyone know how we are supposed to be contacted if we are selected for an interview? Is it by email or by phone? I am worried because I am currently out of the country and without cell service.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”