Minimum Experience for AUSA Position

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Minimum Experience for AUSA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:46 am

Does anyone have a sense of how rigid the USAO's are about the minimum experience requirements for new opening? For example, most new positions are listed as requiring "at least 3 years post-J.D. experience," but have office's shown a willingness to deviate from this if a person is well-connected, diverse, etc.?

Anonymous User

Re: Minimum Experience for AUSA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:57 am

It seems quite rare, but has happened. One anecdote: Judge Altman on S.D. Fla. went straight from 11th Cir. clerkship to AUSA, although that was like 2008, his judge was a former US Attorney, and apparently has ridiculous pull with the office (even the U.S. Attorney at the time was a clerk of his, I believe). Honors program seems like the best shot by far

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 pm

So I’m an AUSA and have applied for a bunch of federal jobs (AUSA and others). If this is a position listed on USAJobs and it says “at least 3 years post-JD experience,” and you apply through USAJobs with less than that amount of experience, your application will get rejected and the hiring people won’t even see it. (You have to answer a direct question about your years of experience to complete the online application.)

If you’re applying directly to an office based on openings listed on their website (not through USAJobs) I don’t know if the mechanism is the same or if your application will get looked at or not, but I kind of doubt it.

People do occasionally go straight from clerking to a USAO, often through the honors program but occasionally not, but in the latter case, it’s usually bc the position only required 1 year of experience (border districts, which SDFL counts as, often do this), and clerking counts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Anon bc discussed friends could be outed.

I had a few friends during law school and clerkship who really wanted to be an AUSA in the same, not-super-selective district where they were clerking for two years (and one who clerked for 3). They were told to apply after getting experience and that they would not be considered beforehand. The 3-year clerk actually had 3 years of experience and good connections at the office, but because they got licensed during the first year, they didn't have 3 years of *post-bar-admission* experience and couldn't apply. Other USAOs might not be as rigid, but all the info I have suggests that most are rigid as a rule.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 am

As others have mentioned, if you apply online, you have no chance if you lack the requisite experience. Basically, yes, in an exceptional case, it is possible if you can get your application directly to somebody with enough pull to circumvent the experience requirement. But unless you have pull with the U.S. Attorney and a stellar resume, I think it'll prove very, very difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”