Implicit Bias

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
GideonsSoldiers

New

Implicit Bias

Post by GideonsSoldiers » Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am

Hello Forum Members,

I did a search on this forum for "implicit bias" and nothing came up so I wanted to share my most recent post with everyone, and perhaps get a conversation started. My article is directed to PD's, but it could easily have been directed to anyone in the legal community.

According to the Kirwan Institute For The Study of Race and Ethnicity, “Implicit bias refers to the attitudes or stereotypes that affect our understanding, actions, and decisions in an unconscious manner.”

These attitudes and stereotypes can be either positive or negative. What’s more, they are buried deep within your subconscious. They come from your life experiences including media you have been exposed to. It is important for law students and attorneys, especially those practicing public interest law, to educate themselves about implicit bias, understand how it can affect the representation they provide to their clients, and learn how to combat it.

I hope everyone reads this post (link below) with an open mind and heart.

https://gideonssoldiers.com/implicit-bi ... defenders/

Return to “Public Interest & Government”