Thinking about leaving law firm after less than year for gov - paying back advance

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Thinking about leaving law firm after less than year for gov - paying back advance

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Big law first year here. I had been planning on jumping over to government after a year or so. However, I see a few specific spots open now that are a good fit. Given that firm life is feeling pretty bad rn I'm considering just applying and jumping ship sooner rather than later. I did take the salary advance during bar study summer, though :( The firm has been taking the advance out of my checks but I still owe some $$. Does anyone have experience with leaving a firm before the year is up, and getting out of paying the advance? Should I just wait a few more months so I leave at a year? I appreciate your insights and advice.

burritotaco

New

Re: Thinking about leaving law firm after less than year for gov - paying back advance

Post by burritotaco » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Government hiring often takes a very, very long time. I would not be surprised if your start date would be in 3-4 months even if you applied now.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Re: Thinking about leaving law firm after less than year for gov - paying back advance

Post by Anon-non-anon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Heard some places don't actually require you to pay it back, but as stated above, I would just apply and see what happens. It'll likely be a while.

And that said, if you get it, fuck it, go, who knows where firms will be but seems unlikely a gov lawyer is gonna get cut.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:24 am

You should go through your records and focus on any documents which discuss your salary advance as they might say how long you have to stay at the firm in order to keep the money.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:34 am

Ditto government hiring may take awhile, especially now. I would get started now before they (possibly) initiate hiring freezes due to reduced tax revenue caused by the shutdown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:06 am

Yea All Right wrote:You should go through your records and focus on any documents which discuss your salary advance as they might say how long you have to stay at the firm in order to keep the money.

OP here - offer letter said a year. Offer letter also said it wasn't an employment contract lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:07 am

OP here - thank you for responses. Yes, gov is slow and I am seeing other states already discussing budget issues... what a time lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”