AUSA Application and Conflicts? Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

AUSA Application and Conflicts?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:28 pm

I'm a current BigLaw associate who represents clients in separate grand jury investigations being run out of the US Attorney's Office in my market. A hiring notice for a criminal AUSA position in this Office posted recently. Some Offices have detailed conflicts guidelines that clearly would require me in these circumstances to notify my affected client(s) that I am seeking employment in the Office, get a conflicts waiver before I could be interviewed, etc. This Office does not.

Thoughts on the way forward here? I don't want to alienate the clients and partners that I work for unless absolutely required. Is this a situation where I should confidentially ask my firm's General Counsel? It would be one thing if this notification process kicked in at the offer stage, or even pre-interview. But if it's required just to send in a resume, I'm loath to tank relationships for, at best, a 5% shot of even getting an interview.

lawfan2012

New

Re: AUSA Application and Conflicts?

Post by lawfan2012 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:00 pm

Regardless of the rules of the USAO, applying for a job with an agency investigating your clients may be (and likely is, depending on circumstances) a conflict of interest that would need to be disclosed to your clients. I would definitely seek guidance at your firm. But I wouldn’t stress too much—this happens all the time in the white collar space and it is hard to imagine your firm or clients being upset or alienated by this.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”