How to Demonstrate Interest in Crim Justice after Law School Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
KBJ2011

New

How to Demonstrate Interest in Crim Justice after Law School

Post by KBJ2011 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:14 pm

I've recently developed a strong interest in transitioning from a private firm to a district attorney's office. My main concern is that my resume doesn't show a lot of commitment to this sort of work (e.g., limited crim law classes, no crim-related internships). I know that offices usually place a high premium on this sort of demonstrated commitment/interest.

Does anyone have tips on what I can do, post-law school, to demonstrate my commitment to crim justice work? I imagine doing pro bono at my firm can help. Anything else?

texanslimjim

New

Re: How to Demonstrate Interest in Crim Justice after Law School

Post by texanslimjim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 pm

The main thing besides pro bono work that comes to mind is attending crim law CLEs and networking events, and getting any sort of relevant certification that you can qualify for. More out there would be write articles on criminal law and get published.

Also, you can probably make yourself more appealing by getting an in-between job. E.g., clerking for a criminal court or getting a job as a civil government lawyer.

But to be frank, what's required will vary wildly depending on the district attorney's office. You need to do some specific research and talk to some people about the specific office(s) you want to apply to. It's not the right approach to just assume that the usual advice given to law students interested in crim -- that they won't be able to get a job in criminal law without demonstrating interest -- applies to you and your target employers.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”