Applying to DOJ?

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Applying to DOJ?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:23 am

I will be graduating law school in May 2020. I applied for the DOJ Honors Program in September and unfortunately am an alternate, and its unlikely I will end up being hired.

I've seen a lot of postings on the DOJ website for attorney positions though. A professor has mentioned before that a friend got a job post grad with DOJ not through the honors program. However, the postings I am seeing are for GS 14/15 level.

Has anyone just applied anyone and gotten a position? Is this common or does my professor just not really know what they are talking about?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to DOJ?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 am

(Anon b/c I work for DOJ.)

I don't think this is common, though it will depend on the component (DOJ is full of lots of different kinds of agencies). Generally, job postings will include required years of experience, and that's a hard requirement. For jobs that are posted on USAjobs, there's no point in applying at all if you don't have the required experience level, because USAjobs does an initial screen before sending apps to the hiring component. If you don't have the minimum amount of experience required, USAjobs won't even send your app on for review. Obviously if the application is direct to the hiring component there's no intermediate screen to kick you out, but I still think you're going to need the minimum required level of experience.

It's true that not every job will require a certain level of experience, and maybe that's what your prof's friend found. But if a job description does require even 1 year of experience, applying as a new grad is extremely unlikely to get you anywhere. People certainly get jobs applying direct to DOJ, but generally after a few years of experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:44 pm

You can lateral to DOJ, so your professor is correct that you can get in not through Honors, but GS 14/15 positions are for experienced attorneys. A new grad isn't going to get hired at that level.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Yes, you can lateral, but you'll need experience. If you don't meet the minimum experience on the posting, your application won't get to the hiring manager, so it's pointless to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”