AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:06 pm
I was recently invited to interview at Office A. I applied to Office B (office I would prefer to work at for personal reasons) and that posting closed about a month and a half ago. On USA Jobs, the Office B posting is still listed as Reviewing Applications/Received. Is there any harm in reaching out to the HR contact at Office B to express continued interest? Should I mention the interview with the other office? Office B is in a major metro area on the west coast if it matters.
No harm at all in reaching out to HR at office B to say you’re interviewing elsewhere but are still extremely interested in the working for office B and so wanted to find out about the timeline. No one will be offended or have any issue with that. Telling them you have another interview lined up to me justifies checking in on the timeline, so makes sense in that respect.

That said, I don’t think you having an interview will make the slightest bit of difference to their timeline or anything, they will probably thank you for the info, note it in your file, and carry on exactly as they’d intended. You don’t have an offer yet and it’s not like interviewing for a judge where you might get an exploding offer; especially in a major metro, office B is unlikely to fight for you, but will cross you off and move to the next person.

I think the point of asking is genuinely so you have more info (like if they know they’re not going to interview for another 6 weeks or something your plan may be different than if they’re going to interview in 2 weeks) but it won’t do anything to speed up the process. If you get through the interview and get an offer from Office A and then reach out to office B expressing continued interest, it’s theoretically possible office B will expedite reviewing your application or getting you interviewed if you’d reached that point, but chances are decent that they’ll just congratulate you on the offer and wish you the best in deciding.

If you are, say, one of 3 finalists and reach out to explain that you have an offer deadline elsewhere, office B may well try to get you an answer before the deadline. But before you’ve reached that level in the process, you’ll probably just have to let the 2 processes play out and decide what you’re willing to risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:59 pm

What do payraises look like at the AD-29 band? How long to reach the max?

I got an offer where I would be coming in at basically the mid-point for AD-29. I have 9 years of practice so I'm pretty happy with this but I'm also concerned about whether there's salary compression on the rest of the way up. Should I just be expecting 2% raises or something beyond this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:22 pm

I’ve only had one raise at AD-29 and it was a little under 2%, but it can vary by office and by year (how much money the office gets to spread around).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:22 pm
I’ve only had one raise at AD-29 and it was a little under 2%, but it can vary by office and by year (how much money the office gets to spread around).
Wow so at that rate, you'll probably never hit the cap until you're close to retirement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:22 pm
Wow so at that rate, you'll probably never hit the cap until you're close to retirement?
At that rate, definitely, though I’m hopeful for something higher in future years. But I’m also in a small legal market with no real market paying biglaw, so that probably depresses our salaries somewhat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Without identifying the office I know it's difficult to answer, but what was your experience with second round interviews? It's a panel interview with the United States Attorney and several chiefs/the first assistant. First round was a panel with line AUSAs that was pretty conversational and the questions you would expect (why AUSA, why this office, tell me about your experience etc.). Fairly big east coast office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:43 pm

I've just applied to several openings across the country. My background isn't in prosecution, but I have nearly a decade of litigation experience, including lots of criminal trials.

How does becoming an AUSA change your lifestyle? Do you need to tighten your friend circle? Stop going to bars? Mix up your public-facing routine?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:43 pm
I've just applied to several openings across the country. My background isn't in prosecution, but I have nearly a decade of litigation experience, including lots of criminal trials.

How does becoming an AUSA change your lifestyle? Do you need to tighten your friend circle? Stop going to bars? Mix up your public-facing routine?
IME, not at all, not unless you get a crazy case. (I had a colleague who prosecuted a pair of tax protester/sovereign citizens who decamped to an armed compound halfway through trial; the colleague had a US marshal stationed in their home for security for I think 11 months?)

Or I mean I suppose if you hang out with people who sell drugs, yeah, you’ll probably have to stop doing that. But I haven’t really changed anything about my life, nor do I know anyone else who has. Going to bars is fine. Just don’t get arrested for anything you do there.

I take that back a little, I guess there are a couple of possible exceptions: one is that I think there are steps you can take to seal some local records - things like home records and such, to limit someone’s ability to track you down. I personally haven’t got around to doing this, though it’s probably sensible, and I know people who have.

The other is that if you regularly engage in any sort of public commentary (blogging, YouTube, journalism, interviews), you may need to stop, or provide a disclaimer and/or get approval. Some people ditch all social media; I do have the standard FB etc but it’s locked down and/or has nothing to do with my job (like I post cat pictures on IG periodically, lol). There’s a notorious case of some AUSAs in Louisiana getting slammed (reprimanded? Fired?) for posting comments on the local newspaper page about a prosecution going on in their office; they used pseudonyms/didn’t ID as AUSAs, but yeah, don’t do that.

At the risk of sounding naive (because there are some truly crazy people out there), I’ve never felt particularly threatened by anyone that I’ve prosecuted. But I think most defendants, while not reasonable enough to refrain from criminal activity, are reasonable enough to recognize that an individual federal prosecutor is simply a cog in a wheel - getting rid of your prosecutor isn’t going to make your case go away; rather it’s guaranteed to make it much, much worse.

That said, yeah, there are exceptions. And my case load is pretty run of the mill; people regularly prosecuting serious gang cases, or like, going after El Chapo, may have more concerns than I do.

IME defendants seem to harbor more resentment against their own attorneys than the prosecutors. They know it’s the prosecutor’s job to catch them and put them in jail; it’s the defense attorney’s job to keep them out so if that doesn’t happen some people get very upset. The closest I’ve come to a threatening defendant was one whose attorney had to report them to the court for violating bail by calling them and making various statements about having a gun; I was advised to stay in the office until this defendant was tracked down (which took about an hour). But the main concerns there were really for the def’s safety and their attorney’s safety; for me it was just an abundance of caution.

I don’t mean to downplay other people’s concerns or bad experiences if they’ve had them, of course. Just speaking for myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:06 pm

How is this government shutdown going to affect AUSA start dates?

I submitted by eqip in mid-summer and am waiting for interim clearance still.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:40 pm

I can't say for certain, but it will likely delay them. The criminal side of things is essential/excepted, so those people will continue working throughout the shutdown, but I don't think the HR/background check/employment paperwork people will be considered essential/excepted, and if you're not, you're sent home and literally not allowed to work. While law enforcement positions (i.e. criminal AUSAs) are considered essential, I don't think that would extend to everyone involved in hiring/onboarding new law enforcement positions.

Even if the background stuff gets completed, the office in question isn't going to arrange a start date until after the shutdown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:40 pm
I can't say for certain, but it will likely delay them. The criminal side of things is essential/excepted, so those people will continue working throughout the shutdown, but I don't think the HR/background check/employment paperwork people will be considered essential/excepted, and if you're not, you're sent home and literally not allowed to work. While law enforcement positions (i.e. criminal AUSAs) are considered essential, I don't think that would extend to everyone involved in hiring/onboarding new law enforcement positions.

Even if the background stuff gets completed, the office in question isn't going to arrange a start date until after the shutdown.
This sounds right to me, but does anyone have any evidence to support/to the contrary? Interviews next week cancelled?Interviews scheduled over the next few weeks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:16 pm

I have interviews coming up for AUSA positions, some permanent and others time-limited. The time-limited slots say that there is a possibility of permanent conversion, except for one. The time-limited slots are in locations that I would prefer to live in, but I am wondering if it’s unlikely that they will convert to permanent. (I’m getting a little tired of doing temporary work and would like some stability—I want to be an AUSA for the rest of my career).

I’ve read old posts on this, and I’m probably asking the same questions, but does anyone has any recent insight about the nature of time-limited roles? How often are they converted to permanent positions? Does that depend on the district or do USAOs generally go to bat for time-limited AUSAs that they like? If they aren’t usually converted, how difficult is it to get a nearby AUSA opening or any opening after? Am I a fool for considering a time-limited slot over a permanent slot?

(For further information, I don’t believe these are in specialized divisions.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:16 pm
I have interviews coming up for AUSA positions, some permanent and others time-limited. The time-limited slots say that there is a possibility of permanent conversion, except for one. The time-limited slots are in locations that I would prefer to live in, but I am wondering if it’s unlikely that they will convert to permanent. (I’m getting a little tired of doing temporary work and would like some stability—I want to be an AUSA for the rest of my career).

I’ve read old posts on this, and I’m probably asking the same questions, but does anyone has any recent insight about the nature of time-limited roles? How often are they converted to permanent positions? Does that depend on the district or do USAOs generally go to bat for time-limited AUSAs that they like? If they aren’t usually converted, how difficult is it to get a nearby AUSA opening or any opening after? Am I a fool for considering a time-limited slot over a permanent slot?

Honestly, I think it's hard to answer this. My current district has converted a number of temporary people into permanent positions, but I can't say how widespread that is. Generally, where the posting admits to the possibility of conversion to a permanent gig, I think if you do a good job and the office likes you, most places will want to convert you, but of course, there's no guarantee.

It's definitely fair to push for more details about this in your interviews (or if more risk averse, b/c it won't matter if you don't get an offer, if you get an offer from one of the term positions). I think the main issues are whether the job is temporary b/c they're not sure about having long-term funding, or b/c they're not sure they'll have the long-term caseload, or what. I think temporary positions most commonly result when someone in the office goes out on detail, so the office gets money to replace them for the duration; it may be that the office has reason to believe that they can find the money to put you in another position when that person comes back, or it may be that they don't know if the person will come back (not uncommon).

I also think that having worked in a USAO helps a lot in getting hired by another USAO, so you'd have a realistic shot at getting another AUSA gig (again, assuming your office likes you and you can find people to say good things about you). Just hard to guarantee when and where.

How much risk you're willing to take is really about your personal comfort level, I think, and what the locations are and how much you prefer one to the other. It also makes sense to see how the interviews go and how you feel about the people in each office before you decide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly, I think it's hard to answer this. My current district has converted a number of temporary people into permanent positions, but I can't say how widespread that is. Generally, where the posting admits to the possibility of conversion to a permanent gig, I think if you do a good job and the office likes you, most places will want to convert you, but of course, there's no guarantee.

It's definitely fair to push for more details about this in your interviews (or if more risk averse, b/c it won't matter if you don't get an offer, if you get an offer from one of the term positions). I think the main issues are whether the job is temporary b/c they're not sure about having long-term funding, or b/c they're not sure they'll have the long-term caseload, or what. I think temporary positions most commonly result when someone in the office goes out on detail, so the office gets money to replace them for the duration; it may be that the office has reason to believe that they can find the money to put you in another position when that person comes back, or it may be that they don't know if the person will come back (not uncommon).

I also think that having worked in a USAO helps a lot in getting hired by another USAO, so you'd have a realistic shot at getting another AUSA gig (again, assuming your office likes you and you can find people to say good things about you). Just hard to guarantee when and where.

How much risk you're willing to take is really about your personal comfort level, I think, and what the locations are and how much you prefer one to the other. It also makes sense to see how the interviews go and how you feel about the people in each office before you decide.
Thank you for the insight. I will try to tactfully gauge the nature of the term position. Hopefully, I’ll learn why the term position opened up. That should give me some clarity on the likelihood I could work my way into a permanent position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:34 pm

Anyone have any insight about AUSA interviews through Honors? I’ll be coming off of clerking, so I relied on that in my essays. Are these interviews different than AUSA interviews from people coming out of state prosecution/BigLaw? Any advice on how to prepare would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:34 pm
Anyone have any insight about AUSA interviews through Honors? I’ll be coming off of clerking, so I relied on that in my essays. Are these interviews different than AUSA interviews from people coming out of state prosecution/BigLaw? Any advice on how to prepare would be greatly appreciated.
It’s going to be mostly the same. You won’t get the same kinds of questions about your past experience as a lateral would, especially a state prosecutor, because they know your actual experience is limited, although if you do have any actual stand-up courtroom testimony experience (like from an internship), be prepared to talk about it. Why the USAO, why this USAO/location, why feds, what value can you add to this office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:34 pm
It’s going to be mostly the same. You won’t get the same kinds of questions about your past experience as a lateral would, especially a state prosecutor, because they know your actual experience is limited, although if you do have any actual stand-up courtroom testimony experience (like from an internship), be prepared to talk about it. Why the USAO, why this USAO/location, why feds, what value can you add to this office.
Great to know. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:53 pm

I just had my FBI interview 3 days ago. Just did my drug test 2 days ago.

How close am I to getting an official offer? I got my tentative one around 4 months ago.

Michellegoldman75

New

Post by Michellegoldman75 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:02 am

Was your interview in person or by phone? I know many have been by phone during and post-pandemic, so was just curious!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:24 pm

Any movement re: interviews/offers from Midwest/Great Lakes offices over the past month or two?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 pm

Can anyone share any insight into civil side of EDVA? I currently do procurement litigation for a federal agency(not DOJ), but I am really interested in doing FCA litigation. So it's either DOJ (fraud section) or AUSA. How selective is EDVA?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

OP following up. Asked and they said that they’ve always converted folks to permanent in these situations (implied that they always worked out), so that assuaged my fears. I accepted, so we’ll see how it turns out at the end of the term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm

When do AUSAs get the GSI 5% raise?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm
When do AUSAs get the GSI 5% raise?
in the Feb 2 paycheck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:03 pm

I just had my interview with the USA, which I think went well. I got some questions about my experience, but mostly it was "What can I tell you about the office?" This is a fly-over county usao. They have not been asked for references. What should I expect to happen next? Fingers crossed for good news. Might that be an offer? Or, would the next step be a request for references?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”