AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:03 pm
I just had my interview with the USA, which I think went well. I got some questions about my experience, but mostly it was "What can I tell you about the office?" This is a fly-over county usao. They have not been asked for references. What should I expect to happen next? Fingers crossed for good news. Might that be an offer? Or, would the next step be a request for references?
In my experience, it would most likely be a request for references, but it can depend on the office and how the USA likes to operate. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:50 pm
Tentative offer at MDFL
Willing to share any details about your background, the division, and the branch in MDFL?

Florida ties, T14, Biglaw, criminal division
How many years out? Crim trial experience at biglaw? Did you have ties within the office?
junior, White collar experience/civil trial experience, no
Sorry to bump an old post, but how long did your background check take?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:28 pm

Stupid question here. Do AUSAs visit crime scenes? I know that many state prosecutors do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:28 pm
Stupid question here. Do AUSAs visit crime scenes? I know that many state prosecutors do.
Yes and no. They are pretty unlikely to visit an *active* crime scene, mostly because it runs too great a risk of becoming a witness, and you can't both prosecute a case and testify in it. So you don't want to go and actually assist with the investigation, b/c say you find a piece of evidence - boom, you're a witness, you can't continue as the prosecutor.

I'm not going to say that it has *never* happened, and if there is something particularly hairy going down they might well go to assist law enforcement on the ground, but more commonly they'd be on standby on the phone. Also, by "assist" I mean legal advice, not actual help with identifying/collecting evidence (b/c then you're part of the chain of custody).

Once the investigation is complete, I think it depends on whether the case is going to trial (or something else evidentiary like a motion to suppress). If you're going to trial it can often be helpful to go see the location for yourself to make sure you understand where/how the crime occurred, so you can put on evidence to show that to the jury, and maybe get some pictures taken of pertinent stuff that hasn't changed (like buildings or similar). There may also be circumstances where someone needs to see a scene before they can decide whether to charge it or not, although I don't think this is very common.

However, not all crimes really have a "scene" - for instance, something like wire fraud (if the pertinent evidence is in e-mails you probably don't need to know what the office the defendant sent them from looked like) or possession of child sex abuse material (if that arises from materials found on a defendant's phone, you'll examine the phone, but you don't have to do that in the defendant's own home or anything).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 pm

I had an crim AUSA panel interview approximately 3-4 weeks ago in a competitive district. Since then it's been crickets. At this point should I just move on and assume I wasn't selected?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:30 pm

Especially if this is SDNY, definitely do not dispair! I know many AUSAs who had a long gap between the first and second (and final) round and ended up getting hired.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”