Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:49 pm
If we didn't get an interview request yet, does that mean we have been passed over?
I think so?? I got an interview request last cycle, but i didnt get one this cycle... so i am assuming i have been passed over.

(YB!)
Same here

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If we didn't get an interview request yet, does that mean we have been passed over?
I think so?? I got an interview request last cycle, but i didnt get one this cycle... so i am assuming i have been passed over.

(YB!)
Same here
They used to not be organized enough to track who had previously interviewed and would send repeat invitations in consecutive cycles. Since the pandemic started with virtual interviews, there appears to be a one shot and you're done type of deal.
-F*CKUSPTO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:07 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just took one for the team and emailed the hiring manager asking about it. I'll let you all know when I find out. I didn't get a request, so it's not like I have anything to lose.

:shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:23 pm

No email here either. Seems they’re not coming out in waves anymore either. So I’m assuming I’m out. Good luck everyone!

(ITB)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:58 pm

No interview here either. First time applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:52 pm

I am really disappointed. What are they looking for in a candidate?

sirvill

New

Post by sirvill » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(YB!)
Same here
They used to not be organized enough to track who had previously interviewed and would send repeat invitations in consecutive cycles. Since the pandemic started with virtual interviews, there appears to be a one shot and you're done type of deal.
-F*CKUSPTO
I had an interview two cycles ago and I haven't been able to get an interview since, even though I've beefed up my resume, so I think this checks out. If this is the case, I really wish they'd tell me before I spent time adjusting my written statement or be more transparent about their process.

Has anyone here been able to score a second interview recently?

(AV)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:07 pm
Long time lurker, first time poster. I just took one for the team and emailed the hiring manager asking about it. I'll let you all know when I find out. I didn't get a request, so it's not like I have anything to lose.

The hiring manager replied saying they did not know the status of interviews and that the last they heard was that they were still conducting their examinations of applications. I am wondering if it is a weekly wave. Perhaps A-L was this week and M-Z will be next?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

The hiring manager replied saying they did not know the status of interviews and that the last they heard was that they were still conducting their examinations of applications. I am wondering if it is a weekly wave. Perhaps A-L was this week and M-Z will be next?

No i truly think this is a default answer... they keep our apps until they fill all the spots. Since the hiring process is so long, some ppl end up declining the offer because they have gotten an offer elsewhere. So then they come back to the applicant pool to choose another candidate. So we wont find out until the end... For example, last cycle after my interview i didnt get any feedback or anything until the day the job started. That is when i was notified that i was not selected. So we all wont get any emails until the entire process is over.

(YB!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:52 pm
Recent graduate of a non-elite or TTT law school and/or university who has not done particularly well at either and who has never had a job (or if so, only internships and/or doc review) and knows little to nothing about trademark (or any) law. Eager to please, youthful energy, "helpful," ready to do what they are told.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:58 pm

sirvill wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(YB!)
Same here
-F*CKUSPTO
I had an interview two cycles ago and I haven't been able to get an interview since, even though I've beefed up my resume, so I think this checks out. If this is the case, I really wish they'd tell me before I spent time adjusting my written statement or be more transparent about their process.

(AV)
I don't recommend spending too much time revising your written statement (beyond small updates for new jobs/skills) if it was good enough to get you an interview at least once. I once made reference to my written statement in an interview, and the hiring manager snapped at me and said "this isn't a writing job."
-F*CKUSPTO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:58 pm
sirvill wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(YB!)
Same here
-F*CKUSPTO

(AV)
I don't recommend spending too much time revising your written statement (beyond small updates for new jobs/skills) if it was good enough to get you an interview at least once. I once made reference to my written statement in an interview, and the hiring manager snapped at me and said "this isn't a writing job."
-F*CKUSPTO
So I was interviewed maybe two or three cycles ago. I've used the same writing sample and only made slight adjustments to reflect new experience or jobs. I haven't been selected for an interview since even though I have more experience now. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has been through multiple rounds of interviews recently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:52 pm
Recent graduate of a non-elite or TTT law school and/or university who has not done particularly well at either and who has never had a job (or if so, only internships and/or doc review) and knows little to nothing about trademark (or any) law. Eager to please, youthful energy, "helpful," ready to do what they are told.
wheres the lie tho
TM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

No i truly think this is a default answer... they keep our apps until they fill all the spots. Since the hiring process is so long, some ppl end up declining the offer because they have gotten an offer elsewhere. So then they come back to the applicant pool to choose another candidate. So we wont find out until the end... For example, last cycle after my interview i didnt get any feedback or anything until the day the job started. That is when i was notified that i was not selected. So we all wont get any emails until the entire process is over.

(YB!)
I believe more interview requests have been sent out. A good friend of mine received a request yesterday. Keep the faith.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:58 pm
sirvill wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

(YB!)
Same here
-F*CKUSPTO

(AV)
-F*CKUSPTO
So I was interviewed maybe two or three cycles ago. I've used the same writing sample and only made slight adjustments to reflect new experience or jobs. I haven't been selected for an interview since even though I have more experience now. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has been through multiple rounds of interviews recently.
If you read far back enough in this forum (or run a search), since the pandemic started and interviews went virtual, at least one person has had two Zoom panel interviews in consecutive cycles. This person was hired the second time and wished others luck. Other than that one person, it sounds like most people here who virtually interviewed once haven't been able to get a second interview at all, let alone in consecutive cycles. Go figure, it used to be easy to get invited to interview in Virginia in the dead of winter but not when things are convenient and virtual. By the way, the more experience thing counts against you for this job--I know that sounds illogical. They say "if you really want it, keep applying," but every cycle that goes by, you are aging out/acquiring too much knowledge and experience from their preffered demographic. A word of advice: do not become obsessed over this job. Their hiring decisions are as capricious, arbitrary, and random as the trademark review process. To the extent they are not random, they are counterintuitive. Does anyone know of any other "competitive" legal job where the reasoning goes something like this, "sorry--we can't hire you, that spot is reserved for someone [the opposite of what makes a candidate competitive for a firm job, a clerkship, a three letter gov't agency, a competitive public interest job].

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:27 pm

Confirming that I received an interview request within the past 72 hours--best of luck to y'all.

(XS)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:27 am

Hi, everyone! I'm wondering if anyone else has received interview requests and when. I was asked to submit a written statement in August 2023, but I haven't heard anything since. I checked the status of my application on USAJobs and it says my application was "referred." I have no idea if that means I'm still in the running. For those of you that have been through this process, did your application status remain as "referred" even when you weren't offered an interview? What about for those of you that got an interview in the past? I'm trying to understand the hiring process and I'm still holding out hope that more interview requests are coming! Sending good vibes to all! Good luck! xoxo

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:27 am
Hi, everyone! I'm wondering if anyone else has received interview requests and when. I was asked to submit a written statement in August 2023, but I haven't heard anything since. I checked the status of my application on USAJobs and it says my application was "referred." I have no idea if that means I'm still in the running. For those of you that have been through this process, did your application status remain as "referred" even when you weren't offered an interview? What about for those of you that got an interview in the past? I'm trying to understand the hiring process and I'm still holding out hope that more interview requests are coming! Sending good vibes to all! Good luck! xoxo
"Referred" means referred to the selecting official, and your status will remain exactly that until bodies are in proverbial chairs for the position (January), at which time it will change to "Referred, Not Selected" or just "Not Selected." It's an opaque process riddled with flaws to say the least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:44 am

Got it! Thank you for explaining that. If someone were to be interviewed, does their “status” in the system remain as “referred”? Or are there different statuses when people move up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:45 am

Got it! Thank you for explaining that. If someone were to be interviewed, does their “status” in the system remain as “referred”? Or are there different statuses when people move up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:45 am
It will also say "referred" if the person was selected for an interview. Then it will say "referred, not selected," even if the person was in fact "selected" for an interview if that person is not ultimately selected for the position (how to make the latter happen being the operative question and a feat of magic/luck/irrationality/caprice, etc.) Current examiners lurking on this thread--it would be great if any of you knew why you, out of 700+ other qualified attorneys, were hired and could enlighten this group.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:35 am

I got an email for an interview spot next week and confirmed a couple of days later. I have not received the WebEx link to attend the interview. Does anyone know when I should expect that? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:53 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:45 am
It will also say "referred" if the person was selected for an interview. Then it will say "referred, not selected," even if the person was in fact "selected" for an interview if that person is not ultimately selected for the position (how to make the latter happen being the operative question and a feat of magic/luck/irrationality/caprice, etc.) Current examiners lurking on this thread--it would be great if any of you knew why you, out of 700+ other qualified attorneys, were hired and could enlighten this group.
It appears that they prefer to hire those who meet the minimum qualifications and no more. Anything that would be seen as an asset for just about any other legal job is seen as a liability for this one. Know too much? They don't want you--they want a blank slate who may wind up struggling with the concepts. Have a lot of business communication experience? They don't want you; they'd rather hire someone who has never made or taken a business phone call. Have extensive experience with learning curves harder than this one and meeting short deadlines while producing a great volume of high quality work? Nope; they'd rather take a gamble on someone who has never had a permanent job, legal or otherwise, and wait and see if that person can keep up with the pace, volume, and deadlines while working unpaid OT for two years until they pass the learning curve. Have Biglaw experience and have extensively researched what this government job entails, ready to take a 50% paycut and intend to stay with this agency for the rest of your career? Nope--they want someone who gives a good interview but intends to bounce the second training is over for a shot at Biglaw/any law firm they never would have had otherwise. That's why we have this situation in which people are let go during the probation period every year for inability to apply trademark law, inability to meet the production quota, and making too many mistakes, while those who could do this job in their sleep are turned away. It's a great shame the USPTO has a monopoly on entry-level jobs in this field.
PO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:35 am
I got an email for an interview spot next week and confirmed a couple of days later. I have not received the WebEx link to attend the interview. Does anyone know when I should expect that? Thanks!
Same question! I am interviewing next week and still have not received the webex link. Also for those who applied before receiving your bar results, should I inform the hiring manager that I passed the bar in my jurisdiction? Or is that something that might come up in the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:35 am
Same question! I am interviewing next week and still have not received the webex link. Also for those who applied before receiving your bar results, should I inform the hiring manager that I passed the bar in my jurisdiction? Or is that something that might come up in the interview?
They will send it at least two days before the interview, I received mine over the weekend for an interview early this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”