Colorado State Public Defender Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Colorado State Public Defender

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 pm

That link seems to be broken.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:08 am

Anyone else *still* waiting on placement? I'm getting nervous, did I somehow miss an email despite haunting my inbox daily? Am I going to get un-hired? Lol this is your brain on d̶r̶u̶g̶s̶ bar prep

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am

Yep! Still waiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:47 am

I contacted the recruiting coordinator at the end of May and I was told it could be a few months, since the hiring is based off either attrition or new FT positions. They did tell me that if we’re finding out later in the process, we can expect about a month’s notice. I’m preparing for the worst and planning on finding a temp job through December or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I contacted the recruiting coordinator at the end of May and I was told it could be a few months, since the hiring is based off either attrition or new FT positions. They did tell me that if we’re finding out later in the process, we can expect about a month’s notice. I’m preparing for the worst and planning on finding a temp job through December or so.
When did you say you could start? I’m trying to determine what is considered “later in the process.” I told them I could start in August, so I thought I’d have my placement by now, but everyone I’ve talked to who said they could start in August is still waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I contacted the recruiting coordinator at the end of May and I was told it could be a few months, since the hiring is based off either attrition or new FT positions. They did tell me that if we’re finding out later in the process, we can expect about a month’s notice. I’m preparing for the worst and planning on finding a temp job through December or so.
When did you say you could start? I’m trying to determine what is considered “later in the process.” I told them I could start in August, so I thought I’d have my placement by now, but everyone I’ve talked to who said they could start in August is still waiting.

I gave them an early August start date.

wickedprickle

New

Post by wickedprickle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I gave them a September 1 start date, so I imagine that's why I'm still waiting. Oooh a month out is rough for finding apartments, depending on where we're placed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 pm

anyone hear anything new? i'm still waiting to hear anything, and i asked to start a month after the bar. doesn't sound like that's when i'll be starting though.

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... ?context=3

I hope that link works! That's what I was trying to post previously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Interesting that some of us gave similar start dates yet we all haven't received a placement. I said I could start right after the bar exam and that's when I start. Maybe it's because of the locations and other preferences?

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Is anybody doing the Professionalism Course on 8/1?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:14 pm

I got my placement! I asked to start in August.

I’m not doing the 8/1 professionalism course though, it was full when I went to check after getting my placement.

wickedprickle

New

Post by wickedprickle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:45 am

For those of you who have already gotten your placement--how did they notify you? By phone or by email? Did you guys largely get your location preferences?

Good luck on the bar to everyone! We all got this :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 am

wickedprickle wrote:For those of you who have already gotten your placement--how did they notify you? By phone or by email? Did you guys largely get your location preferences?

Good luck on the bar to everyone! We all got this :)
I got an email first. Then, I got a phone call from the head of the office a few hours later. I did get my location preference, mostly because I was open about where I went but also specific why I wanted to be closer to a larger area.

I cannot believe the bar is next week! I've started packing for the trip and packing up my apartment. Aaaahhh!

NateSmith800

New

Post by NateSmith800 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:39 pm

What's up future Colorado Defenders. I'm a current public defender in the metro area. Sadly, my last day in the system is this week and I'm trying to sublet my one bedroom apartment through 9/23. The location is good: it's a 15 minute commute to the Golden office, 16 minutes to Denver, 30 minutes to Arapahoe, and 33 minutes to Brighton.

I'd gladly give another PD a below-market rate. If you want it furnished, I'd also be happy to leave my bed, couch, chair, coffee table, and shelves. This would be a good option for a metro-area PD who wants to do something fast and easy for the first month and a half on the job. Then you can view other apartments at your leisure.

Send me a message if you're interested.

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm

I am SO happy to be done with the bar exam. I wish I wasn't sitting through this Professionalism Course, but here we are....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:29 pm

This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know Colorado PD's actual policy on failing the bar? I'm sure everyone worries about this, but I'm so nervous as I wait for results, and worried that if I failed, my offer will be revoked. I know the offers are "conditional" on passing the bar, but a lot of law firms and such give you a second chance even so--anyone know if Colorado PD is likewise forgiving at all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know Colorado PD's actual policy on failing the bar? I'm sure everyone worries about this, but I'm so nervous as I wait for results, and worried that if I failed, my offer will be revoked. I know the offers are "conditional" on passing the bar, but a lot of law firms and such give you a second chance even so--anyone know if Colorado PD is likewise forgiving at all?
When I visited in March, there was a girl still working there who had failed July and just taken Feb, so I think they might give you one more shot, provided they want to keep you.

aclang24

New

Post by aclang24 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Has anyone else received any recent updates regarding placement? My current clerkship is ending at the end of the month. What are people doing while they wait to receive their start dates?

btmhalf29

New

Post by btmhalf29 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:45 pm

aclang24 wrote:Has anyone else received any recent updates regarding placement? My current clerkship is ending at the end of the month. What are people doing while they wait to receive their start dates?
I was told I wouldn't hear anything until after bar results or maybe even later. I'm not sure what "later" means, but in the meantime I'm living at my parent's house and working for a local firm. I'm lucky to have family that's willing to help me out. I had no idea I'd be waiting this long.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:02 pm

btmhalf29 wrote:
aclang24 wrote:Has anyone else received any recent updates regarding placement? My current clerkship is ending at the end of the month. What are people doing while they wait to receive their start dates?
I was told I wouldn't hear anything until after bar results or maybe even later. I'm not sure what "later" means, but in the meantime I'm living at my parent's house and working for a local firm. I'm lucky to have family that's willing to help me out. I had no idea I'd be waiting this long.
Thanks for the info! I sent you a PM with a question about this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rsm0117

New

Post by rsm0117 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:18 am

Hey everyone,

Congratulations on getting an offer to become a future PD! I know that this is not the right thread for this, but I can't find anything specific regarding the interview process and such of the CO State PD. I applied about 3 weeks ago, and have a skype interview with them next week (I am taking the Feb 2020 bar), so I assume that's why they're interviewing me earlier. I am from CA but go to law school in Ohio and have been itching for an opportunity to move back west.

Since you all went through the process not long ago, can you guys shed light on the structure of the interviews and any tips you might have? This is my first "real" PD interview so I am trying to prepare myself the best that I can. Are their any questions about substantive law that I should be aware of and brush up on?

Additionally, how many rounds did you go through before getting hired, and how long did that process take? Days, weeks, months?

Also, if any of you is comfortable with sharing, I would love to hear:
a) Do you like your placement
b) Were you allowed to have preferences? If so, did you get your preference or close second?
c) In all honesty, what is the likelihood of being placed somewhere like La Junta and being stuck for 2 years before being able to move? I'm married, and worried that my wife will not be able to find work.

Thanks!!

crownjd

New

Post by crownjd » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:43 pm

rsm0117 wrote:Hey everyone,

Congratulations on getting an offer to become a future PD! I know that this is not the right thread for this, but I can't find anything specific regarding the interview process and such of the CO State PD. I applied about 3 weeks ago, and have a skype interview with them next week (I am taking the Feb 2020 bar), so I assume that's why they're interviewing me earlier. I am from CA but go to law school in Ohio and have been itching for an opportunity to move back west.

Since you all went through the process not long ago, can you guys shed light on the structure of the interviews and any tips you might have? This is my first "real" PD interview so I am trying to prepare myself the best that I can. Are their any questions about substantive law that I should be aware of and brush up on?

Additionally, how many rounds did you go through before getting hired, and how long did that process take? Days, weeks, months?

Also, if any of you is comfortable with sharing, I would love to hear:
a) Do you like your placement
b) Were you allowed to have preferences? If so, did you get your preference or close second?
c) In all honesty, what is the likelihood of being placed somewhere like La Junta and being stuck for 2 years before being able to move? I'm married, and worried that my wife will not be able to find work.

Thanks!!
Can only speak quickly to the interview process via EJW In October. That's where I applied and was interviewed. It was generic but I really connected w/ my interviewer. Why Colorado, Why PD work, talking about my trial experience. The second interview was a little less than a month later via phone and it was more in-depth. Even asked me about what my parents did and how they support me doing this work. They also asked where else I had applied and when I needed an offer to beat those guys (hahaha). Never once was there substantive stuff like Miami or NJ or Brooklyn or Bronx.

a. I LOVE my placement. It's a big office but we are a tight family. I could not do this work without them.
b. You can definitely have preferences within reason and as long as you articulate a good, compelling reason, you'll probably be placed according to your preferences.
c. If you use that as your reason, then you'll probably get placed in one of the larger areas. That makes sense.

rsm0117

New

Post by rsm0117 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks Crownjd,

That is super helpful. It's comforting to hear that they will at least take into account my wife and her needs before placing me in a location she couldn't find work, if I end up getting an offer.

Also, thanks for the insight into the interview process. I'm curious, as someone who is not from CO either, what was your response when they asked you the "why CO" question?

futurePD24

New

Post by futurePD24 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:35 pm

I accepted an offer to work as a PD in Colorado back in 2016.

As far as "why CO?" it doesn't matter that you are not from CO. Very few people that I met in the system were from Colorado. When they ask that question, tell them that you want to come to Colorado because you believe that they have the best public defender system, and that you want to be in a system where you can get the kind of trial experience and training that CO can provide.

I did an initial interview through the EJW career fair in DC and then did a second interview in CO, when I went out there to take a tour of several offices. Both interviews were extremely laid back. They were far, far different from the interviews that I did with LAS and Bronx Defenders, which were much more substantive and challenging. The primary interview that I did with LAS lasted over an hour, and involved substantive questions about ethical issues and law, with a lot of pushback from the interviewers. That interview ended with my having to perform a mock closing argument. The Colorado interviews were nothing like that. They were essentially friendly small talk.

I never expressed a preference for where I'd like to be placed, because I felt that that would be frowed upon and that it would have a negative effect on my chances of getting hired. I was ultimately placed in an area that I did not really care for, and for a variety of reasons, I didn't make it very long, before I left to go elsewhere.

good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”