Best Year ti go to Boutique Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Best Year ti go to Boutique

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm

Hi everyone - for those that are at a lit boutique or have gone from big law to a lit boutique, have you found there’s and ideal year to go? I’m 3rd year and had planned on waiting until 4th to move over, but really want to move now. I’ve had some interactions and work with some, and can tell the work will align significantly more with what I’m interested in. I’m worried about leaving “too soon” and feel like I “owe” my firm another year (relatively to the typical biglaw experience, I’ve had a great experience with my firm - awesome opportunities). I clerked first so have only been at my firm about 1.5 years. I am leaning towards jumping now (assuming I get a boutique I want obviously) but would appreciate any insight/advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Best Year ti go to Boutique

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:58 am

The best time is probably immediately after a clerkship, but that ship has sailed for you. So just apply now since you want to move now. If it doesn't work out on this round, you can try again later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm

I have the same question. It seems varied. On one hand, some elite boutiques seem to prefer a couple years at a big shop to cut your teeth. On the other, some like to train you themselves. Any insight there?

Cloture19

New

Post by Cloture19 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm
Hi everyone - for those that are at a lit boutique or have gone from big law to a lit boutique, have you found there’s and ideal year to go? I’m 3rd year and had planned on waiting until 4th to move over, but really want to move now. I’ve had some interactions and work with some, and can tell the work will align significantly more with what I’m interested in. I’m worried about leaving “too soon” and feel like I “owe” my firm another year (relatively to the typical big law experience, I’ve had a great experience with my firm - awesome opportunities). I clerked first so have only been at my firm about 1.5 years. I am leaning towards jumping now (assuming I get a boutique I want obviously) but would appreciate any insight/advice.
Was in a similar situation. Clerked right after law school and was getting substantive work at my big law firm but working too much. Left after 2.5 years and felt that was the ideal length for me personally. Different boutiques are going to have different hiring preferences but I think some would find someone 2.5 years out (clerkship + big law) to be slightly too junior to hit the ground running at a boutique. Have you taken/defended depositions at your big law firm yet? Principally drafted briefs? Again speaking solely from my experience, that was the type of prior experience the boutiques I interviewed with were looking for.

That being said, if you are actively unhappy at your big law firm, or you land a boutique you want, whether you stayed at your big law firm for 1.5 years vs 2.5 years vs 3 years will not matter in the long run so I would not stress about it too much.

Lawclerk2022

New

Post by Lawclerk2022 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:40 pm

Cloture19 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm
Hi everyone - for those that are at a lit boutique or have gone from big law to a lit boutique, have you found there’s and ideal year to go? I’m 3rd year and had planned on waiting until 4th to move over, but really want to move now. I’ve had some interactions and work with some, and can tell the work will align significantly more with what I’m interested in. I’m worried about leaving “too soon” and feel like I “owe” my firm another year (relatively to the typical big law experience, I’ve had a great experience with my firm - awesome opportunities). I clerked first so have only been at my firm about 1.5 years. I am leaning towards jumping now (assuming I get a boutique I want obviously) but would appreciate any insight/advice.
Was in a similar situation. Clerked right after law school and was getting substantive work at my big law firm but working too much. Left after 2.5 years and felt that was the ideal length for me personally. Different boutiques are going to have different hiring preferences but I think some would find someone 2.5 years out (clerkship + big law) to be slightly too junior to hit the ground running at a boutique. Have you taken/defended depositions at your big law firm yet? Principally drafted briefs? Again speaking solely from my experience, that was the type of prior experience the boutiques I interviewed with were looking for.

That being said, if you are actively unhappy at your big law firm, or you land a boutique you want, whether you stayed at your big law firm for 1.5 years vs 2.5 years vs 3 years will not matter in the long run so I would not stress about it too much.
Thanks for the responses! Cloture19 - I have taken a few depos, some in court examinations, and drafted so many briefs I honestly couldn’t tell you the number. A really unusual amount of substantive experience. Which is why I’m slightly hesitant to leave that.

Are you happier at your boutique? Would love to hear some about your experience if you don’t mind sharing, especially given it sounds like you left a similarly decent spot at a big law firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”