MD/Phd lateral or joining biglaw Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
smiler

New

MD/Phd lateral or joining biglaw

Post by smiler » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:03 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows of MD/JDs or JD/Phd (more common due to patent angle) who work in biglaw? Do these advanced degree holders start as 1st year associates or do they get "credit" for having a 2nd sought after degree. Very curious what the career trajectory would look like in big law. Thanks!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: MD/Phd lateral or joining biglaw

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:54 pm

I’m a 2014 law school grad and have a PhD. I’ve been in big law the whole time and I didn’t try and negotiate a raise in class year. Maybe that is possible but in my opinion the first year is a huge learning curve and even with a PhD (or MD) you don’t know how to practice law until you do it.

Anonymous User

Re: MD/Phd lateral or joining biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:42 am

Not an expert in this, but the only people I've heard of being able to negotiate coming in as a second year have been JD/MBAs. If you're looking at a patent-type practice where that kind of technical ability is required, I'm not sure you'd get a class bump as everyone will be expected to have that kind of background. Anecdotally, I have the impression a big benefit from having that background is being more competitive at the hiring level (that is, the degree can make up for lower law school grades or a more ordinary law school) rather than a bonus once you start.

But I don't have personal experience so hopefully someone with more knowledge will weigh in.

Not sure what you mean by career trajectory in biglaw. Are you asking if people with MD/PhDs are more/less likely to make partner? I'd imagine as for anyone, it depends a lot on the firm (especially the role that your practice area plays overall) and your performance. If IP/patent/whatever makes up a tiny part of the firm's work it will be harder to make partner than if it's a big money-maker, that kind of thing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”