Does BigLaw litigation care more about school or clerkships? Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)
Anonymous User

Does BigLaw litigation care more about school or clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm

Hi all,

I just graduated from a law school that's ranked in the 80s or so on US News. I spent the last two summers at a large firm, but am interested in putting myself back on the D.C. BigLaw market after I complete two clerkships, one district court and COA. I've noticed that most litigators at the prominent, large firms have clerked--oftentimes at both the district and circuit level. But, then again, nearly all of them graduated from far better law schools. Will these firms still give me a chance because they value the clerkships, or does not graduating from a top law school carry the day?

I sincerely appreciate any insight!

Anonymous User

Re: Does BigLaw litigation care more about school or clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Were you at the tippy top of your law school class rankings wise? (Like, top three people?) If so, then probably. If no, then probably not unless you're able to capitalize on one of your judge's professional networks to make a connection to a hiring partner or something like that.

Anonymous User

Re: Does BigLaw litigation care more about school or clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:50 pm
Were you at the tippy top of your law school class rankings wise? (Like, top three people?) If so, then probably. If no, then probably not unless you're able to capitalize on one of your judge's professional networks to make a connection to a hiring partner or something like that.
I was, fortunately (2). Thank you, that gives me hope!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”