Jones Day Compensation Data Points Forum

(Advantages vs Disadvantages, Big Law, Work-Life Balance, Hiring Practices, Company Culture, Hours and Compensation, Private Sector Firm Reviews & Experiences)

Silver

Re: Jones Day Compensation Data Points

Post by 2013 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:57 pm
ChairmanKaga wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Not wishing to move discussion away from the potential discrimination issues (which are serious and ought to be fully explored), but on the flip side are there associates who earn more under the JD black box than what they would under the Cravath/Milbank (whatever it is now called) scale?

I recall an article some years ago about a federal official whose disclosure indicated he pulled 800k (or a similarly unusual figure) as a JD associate.
Lol the guy making 800k was not getting that as a base salary. He was paid a one-time departure bonus of something like 300k when he left to work for the Trump administration. This is disclosed somewhere in the gender discrimination lawsuit papers, but I can’t remember which filing (something by Jones Day, because they were rebutting that his base salary was that high by saying he got a one-time bonus). Super sketchy that the only bonuses going out at Jones Day are to attorneys heading to the Trump administration.

Also - I’m a current JD mid level in major market that did not get a raise this year. This means we didn’t get 2019 bonuses either because those should have been “baked in” to this new salary. Feeling very under appreciated.
Also, that guy’s father-in-law was the managing partner of Jones Day’s SF office or something.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 am

2013 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:30 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:57 pm
ChairmanKaga wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Not wishing to move discussion away from the potential discrimination issues (which are serious and ought to be fully explored), but on the flip side are there associates who earn more under the JD black box than what they would under the Cravath/Milbank (whatever it is now called) scale?

I recall an article some years ago about a federal official whose disclosure indicated he pulled 800k (or a similarly unusual figure) as a JD associate.
Lol the guy making 800k was not getting that as a base salary. He was paid a one-time departure bonus of something like 300k when he left to work for the Trump administration. This is disclosed somewhere in the gender discrimination lawsuit papers, but I can’t remember which filing (something by Jones Day, because they were rebutting that his base salary was that high by saying he got a one-time bonus). Super sketchy that the only bonuses going out at Jones Day are to attorneys heading to the Trump administration.

Also - I’m a current JD mid level in major market that did not get a raise this year. This means we didn’t get 2019 bonuses either because those should have been “baked in” to this new salary. Feeling very under appreciated.

Also, that guy’s father-in-law was the managing partner of Jones Day’s SF office or something.
You are discussing James Burnham, and he is hardly emblematic of anything. He's extremely well connected, was in the running for a 9th Circuit judge spot, and Gorsuch just hired him to be a SCOTUS clerk.

ChairmanKaga

New

Post by ChairmanKaga » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm

jackshunger wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 am
You are discussing James Burnham, and he is hardly emblematic of anything. He's extremely well connected, was in the running for a 9th Circuit judge spot, and Gorsuch just hired him to be a SCOTUS clerk.
He's at least emblematic of the possible benefits of Jones Day's black box system in rare cases, isn't he? The point being almost no other firm would pay a sixth year associate $810,000 bonus-inclusive.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:37 pm

ChairmanKaga wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm
jackshunger wrote:
He's at least emblematic of the possible benefits of Jones Day's black box system in rare cases, isn't he? The point being almost no other firm would pay a sixth year associate $810,000 bonus-inclusive.
I think black box sucks and would never work at Jones Day, but if you're gonna paint their compensation system as unfair, "the guy who was in the running for a CA9 judgeship got paid a lot" is an odd example.
Last edited by LBJ's Hair on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:37 pm

ChairmanKaga wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 pm
jackshunger wrote:
I'm not a fan of the black box system, but pointing to him as an example of anything replicable or ordinary at JD isn't a good idea. He's a SCOTUS clerk and superstar on the rainmaker partner track, who I assume could pull high figures at other firms that have 6-year partnership tracks. Presumably, they paid him to keep him from jumping ship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Bump to say that with other firms getting fall bonuses, associates who are friends of mine are squirming. No raise for most this year. Already below market. No bonus. And now no fall bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Bump to say that with other firms getting fall bonuses, associates who are friends of mine are squirming. No raise for most this year. Already below market. No bonus. And now no fall bonus.
Is there a chance we’re made whole (at least kind of)? I know that people have gotten raises effective January 1 in the past...

I’m sure that’s very unlikely but apparently the firm is doing even better this year than last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Is there a chance we’re made whole (at least kind of)? I know that people have gotten raises effective January 1 in the past...

I’m sure that’s very unlikely but apparently the firm is doing even better this year than last year.
Seems unlikely. Nothing from firm leadership so far. The fact that the firm is having a good year just makes it worse I think. It’ll be interesting to watch morale when other firms start announcing bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:34 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Seems unlikely. Nothing from firm leadership so far. The fact that the firm is having a good year just makes it worse I think. It’ll be interesting to watch morale when other firms start announcing bonuses.
The lack of transparency is just staggering. I’m sure you’re right and we won’t hear a thing on pay. I don’t know a single associate happy with the system/their pay, and it will only get worse as “peer firms” hand out massive bonuses again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:20 am

Would not be surprised at all if associates are not made whole—and not really even told anything—in the firm’s offices in secondary markets. Even without raises this year, those associates are still ahead of most peers in those cities. But I can’t imagine this sits particularly well with any associates in $190K cities. As other firms in those cities do away with cuts and some give fall bonuses, the gap is just getting bigger and bigger.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:17 pm

For people considering firms in secondary cities. Can anyone provide salary data points? For non-190k cities?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:17 pm
For people considering firms in secondary cities. Can anyone provide salary data points? For non-190k cities?
1st - 170; 2nd - 180; 3rd - 200; 4th - 215. No raises this year for most associates, some cuts, very few raises. Would be curious if others have data points for more mid- to senior-level associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
1st - 170; 2nd - 180; 3rd - 200; 4th - 215. No raises this year for most associates, some cuts, very few raises. Would be curious if others have data points for more mid- to senior-level associates.
Don’t have much other than my friend who is a third year. She was at 180 with no raise this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lestersandy

New

Post by Lestersandy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Whoa. You’ve heard of cuts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:55 pm

Reminder that not only does Jones Day glaringly underpay its associates and discriminate against women and minorities, but on top of that they are now actively seeking to undermine this country's faith in the democratic process.

jackshunger

Bronze

Post by jackshunger » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:55 pm
Reminder that not only does Jones Day glaringly underpay its associates and discriminate against women and minorities, but on top of that they are now actively seeking to undermine this country's faith in the democratic process.
Glad to see the Lincoln Project has moved from grifting people on Twitter to anon posting on TLS

lawlo

New

Post by lawlo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
One of the first things you learn in law school is not to make conclusory statements. None of this has been proven, and investigating election fraud contributes to the integrity of the democratic process. Regardless, the no bonus thing sounds shitty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:45 pm

I have a close friend at a secondary $190K market and they said morale is terrible right now and will only get worse once other firms start announcing bonuses. They seem extremely unhappy with firm leadership.

lolwutpar

Bronze

Post by lolwutpar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 pm

lawlo wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
One of the first things you learn in law school is not to make conclusory statements. None of this has been proven, and investigating election fraud contributes to the integrity of the democratic process. Regardless, the no bonus thing sounds shitty.
lol is this the account of Mr. Jones or Mr. Day?

lawlo

New

Post by lawlo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:13 pm

M. Jones-Day, thank you very much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am

My friend at JD in secondary city received a 5k raise. He blamed himself: always entering time late despite constant warnings from partners, missing deadlines, and barely making his target hours.

Not a very useful DP but figured I'd throw it out there.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

da.goat

New

Post by da.goat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am
My friend at JD in (secondary city) received a 5k raise last year. He blamed himself: always entering time late despite constant warnings from partners, missing deadlines, and barely making his target hours.

Not a very useful DP but figured I'd throw it out there.
Maybe edit your post so that your friend is not outed.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:56 pm

da.goat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm
*complains that a post might out someone*

*quotes it in its entirety*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:21 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:56 pm
da.goat wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:28 pm
*complains that a post might out someone*

*quotes it in its entirety*
And then re-mentions the office and the person's class year in their post.

da.goat

New

Post by da.goat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:49 pm

Major idiot moment on my part, sorry for that. This is what Friday biglaw brain looks like. It won't let me edit, but if there's an admin reading, please delete/edit my previous post

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Big Law/Private Practice Jobs”