Chances for Wachtell? Forum

(Discuss and share Interview tips, questions, dress code, resume/ cover letter/ LinkedIn suggestions, pre/ follow up procedures)
onelawstudent95

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:05 pm

Chances for Wachtell?

Post by onelawstudent95 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:34 pm

I'm slightly above median at MVPB, leaning corporate/transactional. Have a pre-OCI offer from a V10 firm. Is it worth shooting my shots at Wachtell NYC during OCI or better to just cancel my screener to focus on other V10 firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:54 pm

Cancel.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:12 pm

Agree with the previous poster that you probably don't have a great shot. But if you're happy with the offer you've already got, I see no reason not to take a swing. Better than wondering "what if."

Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:31 pm

between 0-5% chance but why not take the shot if you have an offer? Maybe your run into a screener that loves you and you go from there?

Joachim2017

Bronze
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Joachim2017 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:12 am

Take the chance. It'll prevent you from wondering "what if" later on (especially when, as will happen, there are times you're miserable at your other firm and daydreaming about alternative pathways). And there are a good number of "just" cum laude grads at WLRK, if you take a look at their attorney profiles. It's not as mythical as some make it out to be (just be prepared for the hours -- those ARE as long as some make it out to be...)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:28 pm

Unless you are URM or there are truly extraordinary extenuating circumstances, 0% chance you get a callback. Not 5% -- 0%.

WLRK cares about softs, but it doesn't matter how well you do in the interview if you don't meet the grade cutoff (which is to some rough approximation top 10%, higher outside T6). Yes there are cum laude grads on the website, but they (a) were not cum laude-track as 1Ls and cruised post-offer, or (b) are laterals.

That said, it's 30 minutes, and it sounds like you're interested in WLRK. So I don't see the harm in interviewing for the sake of interviewing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm

Not an answer to the question, but I am curious looking at the replies; if they give someone a screener, why would their callback odds be so low? I understand that they are a selective firm and OP's stats are lower than what they generally take, but doesn't a screener indicate you are in the running? Or do they simply give out so many screeners that this wouldn't be the case? I can't imagine that's what is going on.

Plz correct me if I am wrong, just trying to understand these firms' processes

Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm
Not an answer to the question, but I am curious looking at the replies; if they give someone a screener, why would their callback odds be so low? I understand that they are a selective firm and OP's stats are lower than what they generally take, but doesn't a screener indicate you are in the running? Or do they simply give out so many screeners that this wouldn't be the case? I can't imagine that's what is going on.

Plz correct me if I am wrong, just trying to understand these firms' processes
Many screeners are by lottery-- i.e., firm didn't want to interview you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm
Not an answer to the question, but I am curious looking at the replies; if they give someone a screener, why would their callback odds be so low? I understand that they are a selective firm and OP's stats are lower than what they generally take, but doesn't a screener indicate you are in the running? Or do they simply give out so many screeners that this wouldn't be the case? I can't imagine that's what is going on.

Plz correct me if I am wrong, just trying to understand these firms' processes
There is no pre-screening bids at the top half (? I dunno what T14s have grade-based bidding) of the T14 - where WLRK participates in OCI. You could literally have all B-s at NYU and bid WLRK and they'll spend the 30 minutes with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 408503
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm
Not an answer to the question, but I am curious looking at the replies; if they give someone a screener, why would their callback odds be so low? I understand that they are a selective firm and OP's stats are lower than what they generally take, but doesn't a screener indicate you are in the running? Or do they simply give out so many screeners that this wouldn't be the case? I can't imagine that's what is going on.

Plz correct me if I am wrong, just trying to understand these firms' processes
There is no pre-screening bids at the top half (? I dunno what T14s have grade-based bidding) of the T14 - where WLRK participates in OCI. You could literally have all B-s at NYU and bid WLRK and they'll spend the 30 minutes with you.

Yup, can verify. I was in this position back in the day. I bid WLRK not appreciating beforehand just how grade-sensitive they are. The interview was awkward for both of us because the partner interviewing me was a nice guy, and I was like, generally kind of smart/knowledge/good talk about law and had *decent* grades, but we both knew sitting across the table from one another that they just didn't cut it for WLRK on paper. Dunno if he was pissed I wasted his time or not, but he was at least polite!

jdoeman1234567

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 11:29 am

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:52 pm

onelawstudent95 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:34 pm
I'm slightly above median at MVPB, leaning corporate/transactional. Have a pre-OCI offer from a V10 firm. Is it worth shooting my shots at Wachtell NYC during OCI or better to just cancel my screener to focus on other V10 firms?
Chances are close to zero, but I don't see any reason not to bid them if you are happy with your current V10 offer. Wachtell is ridiculously selective, but it's not like every lawyer there graduated summa.

User avatar
Wild Card

Silver
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Chances for Wachtell?

Post by Wild Card » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:09 pm

They're extremely professional people and conduct themselves accordingly.

I dropped off my resume and transcript at their suite, and without even looking at them HR offered me a screener. I had no chance in hell and was just messing around, and they called my bluff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “OCI”