LSAT Class - Testmasters, Kaplan, or Princeton REview Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSUTigirl

New

LSAT Class - Testmasters, Kaplan, or Princeton REview

Post by LSUTigirl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Which class is best? Trying to decide which one to take prior to the June test.

My only options are the traditional Kaplan and Princeton Review classes, the testmasters class that runs on the weekends for 4 weekends, and the Powerscore weekend (16 hour total) class. Which do you recommend for raising my score by a lot. (My biggest problem is RC and LR...I can ace LG without a problem).

M20009

Bronze

Testmasters vs. Powerscore

Post by M20009 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:40 pm

Tough question: I think TestMasters and PowerScore are great for Logic Games and Logical Reasoning sections, but lack a strong RC focus. I'm not sure any of the prep course do.

I am taking TestMasters right now and can say that it is helping me a lot, but I don't have any scores to back that up. I learn better from classroom instruction than reading.

For me it came down to PowerScore or TestMasters; I choose TM because the location was close to where I work. I also own the PowerScore books and will be able to work through those while taking the TM course.

To get better at the RC, I'm not you can do anything other than read a lot of dense passages and do every RC section the LSAT has released.

So far the only negative comment I have about TM is the books are sparse. A lot of LSAT questions, which you could buy for about 200 bucks, and few explanations of the TM system. Most of the material is conveyed orally. If you don't take good notes or have a poor memory, TestMasters is probably not for you.

I would take the TestMasters and really work hard on the RC sections, on your own and in the homework. Do some logic games to stay sharp and really focus on the other two sections.

LSUTigirl

New

Powerscore vs. Testmasters

Post by LSUTigirl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 pm

So I basically have decided to narrow it down to Testmasters and PowerScore. I've heard bad things about Kaplan and Princeton Review.

Now my choice. Do I take the longer Testmasters class (4 weekends in a row) or take the PowerScore short class (1 weekend)? That's my choice. Which do you think will raise my score the most? Which provides better LR preparation?

M20009

Bronze

Post by M20009 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:08 pm

I don't think one weekend is enough.

in my eyes

New

Post by in my eyes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:53 pm

LSU

All full length Testmasters and Powerscore courses for the June exam started a min of 2 weeks ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSUTigirl

New

Post by LSUTigirl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Well I know there is no full length classes left of PowerScore, I was asking about the weekend class. Also, there is a full length TestMasters class....it's just not the good TestMasters 180....it's the rip off. Just found that out.

lawschoolnobigdeal

New

Re: LSAT Class - Testmasters, Kaplan, or Princeton REview

Post by lawschoolnobigdeal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:53 pm

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:13 pm

i took testmasters and found it to be very helpful...to debunk some of the above posters remarks

-the only thing you know about/hear from robin singh is that he is the founder of the course and its methodology...i'm not sure how the above poster knew so much about him/had so much interaction
-the study materials were more than ample...you get more sample questions with these materials than you do with any other course
-my instructor was a dartmouth grad/perfect SAT/perfect LSAT/master's from columbia/on his way to CLS

i should note tho, if i could do it all over again, i would only do the weekend course and just get the strategy down, and do as many problems/practice tests as possible...a full 8-wk or how ever long it was is overkill...you need the methodology, and then just as much practice with it as possible

bullbuster

New

Post by bullbuster » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:31 pm

bullbuster wrote:.
:roll:

jgg1974

New

Post by jgg1974 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 pm

You left out the option for none of the above. I would have chosen that. I learned LR and RC on my own and I'm not doing to shabby if I say so myself.. -2 to -3 average per section.

DGLitcH

New

Post by DGLitcH » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:30 pm

I thought Powerscore is good too, why didn't include that?

UandIaresplittsville

New

Post by UandIaresplittsville » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:37 pm

bullbuster wrote:.
Yeah nice one(1) post. I took TM and raised my score a bunch. The teacher training is intense. Took one class with Robin himself and that dude loves the LSAT. Say what you will about his business; he knows his stuff and my teacher did too.

<3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adgilbert81

New

Post by adgilbert81 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:01 pm

I took a Princeton Review class two years ago and thought it was atrocious. I don't think this has anything to do with the curriculum of the class itself (they are all pretty uniform), I think it had everything to do with the quality of the instructor. I wrote PR and informed them that I wasn't happy with my experience, but I didn't get my money back, which is what I wanted. I did get offered some free tutoring out of the deal, however, they paired me up with the same instructor of the course, who was somewhat hostile since I had complained. And, when I requested a different tutor, they refused. So, based on my experience, getting a "guarantee" on the money you spend with PR is not an actual "guarantee."

I am now taking the LSAT again in December and am going to go the risky route and take the TM course. I hear a lot of grumbling about that course because of the LSAC settlement and because of the no-guarantee policy. But, I hear far more good things about the quality of the course and the materials that you receive. I'll keep you posted of my progress in this class! I wish I had known about this forum prior to my PR extravaganza...

Of course, any constructive advice on or tales of experiences with TM is appreciated.

mcdad

New

Post by mcdad » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:01 pm

My daughter took TM. My observations are based on watching her.

1. She scored 176 on the diagnostic LSAT and eventually 176 on the real LSAT. The diagnostic was given in an evening class when she is at her peak. The real LSAT was given in the morning when she is not. She had not adjusted her time schedule as they recommend, so I think that she actually did better than she would have without the TM.

2. TM gave names and structure to what she was doing naturally, which gives you something to fall back on when you can't intuit the answer.

3. I compare the LSAT score to Ice Skating: getting into the high 160s involves "technical merit points", I.e. how the questions are structured, test taking technique etc; getting from there to the 170s involves "artistic merit points" or mistake avoidance. Every question my daughter missed on the PTs she should have gotten: she misread the question, worked too fast, finished each section with minutes to spare etc.
a. Robin and his crowd can teach you technical merit points
b. Artistic merit will require some practice:
1. practice tests for timing: not too fast not too slow If you are a speed reader try reading the questions outloud so
you go about 250 to 300 wds/ min
2. adjust your sleep-wake schedule so that you are at your peak at 900 AM
3. Take some PTs in a crowded cafeteria or library on campus so you can learn to ignore distraction

4. If you are in the high 170s there is no room for TM to raise your score. At that point taking the course is like going to a dietician: you know you should eat less but you lack the discipline, so you hire a dietician because you know you have to report to her each week what you ate. It's renting a conscience.

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:24 pm

TM, PS, or self-study

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Be aware that anybody's TPR experience from 2+ years ago is not representative of TPR today. We changed course formats about two years ago, so anybody who took it then either took the old format or took it from a teacher going through the new course for the first time. (Bad customer service stories are rather haunting, though. Not sure what's up with that, but as far as I know, it's unusual. I think in smaller markets we only have one instructor, so that may have factored into the above experience.)

I worry about trying to learn the LSAT in a weekend or even in four weeks. I always recommend the 80+ hour courses, though I don't know what's available in your area. I don't think anything less than TPR Hyperlearning, Kaplan Extreme, whatever Testmasters calls their 80-hour course, or something like that is a very good idea, except the once a week TPR Accelerated or the equivalent at any other company.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

m75ben

New

Post by m75ben » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Took Testmasters. 154 diagnostic to 175 on test day.

contrapositive

New

Post by contrapositive » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 am

Last edited by contrapositive on Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

soccersmo

New

Post by soccersmo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:31 am

testmasters, full course 153 to 167
i was very happy with it

superflush

Silver

Re:

Post by superflush » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:40 am

M20009 wrote:I don't think one weekend is enough.
+1
PowerScore or TestMasters. Full course.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:15 pm

powerscore weekend course is basically half LG half LR.
I don't think it would benefit you according to what you described.
(I think TM has a similar more expensive weekend class which I would similarly not reccomend).

Maybe you can try Blueprint? or a virtual course?

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Full course > Condensed course

And don't pick on brand name. Do the leg work to find out who is teaching and if they know what the f*ck they're talking about.

inmans

New

Post by inmans » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Save yourself the $ and buy the powerscore books. read and learn

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:19 pm

If you have time try self study first with powerscore bibles and practice tests. If that fails to get you over 160, then I'd strongly consider one of the full-length courses by Kaplan or Princeton Review. Those courses arent great, but if you work hard at them they might get you over the 160 hurdle.

Many people can get over 160 by self study, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”