The LSAT in Japan/Foreign Country Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ShibaDan

Bronze

The LSAT in Japan/Foreign Country

Post by ShibaDan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:28 am

Hey All,

Did any of you take the LSAT in Japan (Tokyo at Temple U)? If so, was it easy to find? What were the conditions/proctors like? Did you end up applying to LS from there? Was the process much more difficult? Any information you have would be very helpful! Thanks!

GaiijinLawyer

New

Re: The LSAT in Japan/Foreign Country

Post by GaiijinLawyer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:34 pm

I would really like some info on this if anyone can help me out...thanks!

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:43 pm

I wasn't in Japan, but I took last Sept's in Paris, ten days after arriving there for 8 months.

I'd never do it that way again. I was still freaked out from the language (I studied Spanish, go me!), the traveling from the little town where I worked, and generally being stressed about just moving to a different country. I think it would have been much better if I'd waited until December, but I wanted to get it done ASAP to get the applications in, and I paid for it with a lower score.

GaiijinLawyer

New

Post by GaiijinLawyer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:44 am

I'm moving there in about a month so I will have time to adjust. I just don't exactly know what to expect...I know I've seen people on here who have taken it in Japan...come out of the woodwork people! Please!

OldManStan

New

Post by OldManStan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 am

I took the test this last June 08 in Tokyo (pretty much the only location in Japan). I lived in Tokyo for a few months before moving to work in Osaka, so I was familiar with the area. I took it at the Molino Hotel west of Shinjuku (Not the University location). The room was nice and quiet. There were about 19 other test takers there with about 5-6 being native Japanese. The test administrator lady I had was total rock and roll and a lot of how you experience your day will be your response to your administrator. She talked slow enough between sections to allow us to reset our watches and she allowed us to keep water/tea bottles on our desk in case we needed to drink during the test. She was Hitler nazi about noises (tapping, excessive coughing, etc) and all in all it went really smoothly.

If you're taking it at the Temple U, you shouldn't have a problem, if you take it at Shinjuku, just be sure to have the Odayaku (spelling) line on lock down as it can be tricky...lucky for me the stop was a main stop so you sorta have to try to miss it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GaiijinLawyer

New

Post by GaiijinLawyer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:09 am

I am taking it at the University location (Temple I think it is) Do you know how easy it is to get to by train? Thanks for your input so far! I have great anxiety about taking it in Tokyo especially since I have to commute from kyoto/nara

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 am

Getting there shouldn't be a problem. Find out what the station is called and use hyperdia.com to find a route. Plan it out in advance and try to arrive really early just in case you get lost. Depending on the starting time for the LSAT, you might want to take the Shinkansen out to Tokyo a day early and stay overnight in a hotel. You'll probably be fine if you plan ahead.
Do you speak Japanese? If so, you can always ask the staff at stations. I found the Tokyo train staff to be some of the friendliest in Japan, when I was there (the inaka guys are usually friendly too, but generally don't actually know anything about train schedules or routes).

themoffman

New

Post by themoffman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 am

OldManStan wrote:I took the test this last June 08 in Tokyo (pretty much the only location in Japan). I lived in Tokyo for a few months before moving to work in Osaka, so I was familiar with the area.
How do you like Osaka? I lived and worked there and in Tokyo for awhile, in Fukushima near Noda/Nodahanshin station.. It was awesome, I would seriously consider working there again someday

OldManStan

New

Post by OldManStan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:54 pm

themoffman wrote:
OldManStan wrote:I took the test this last June 08 in Tokyo (pretty much the only location in Japan). I lived in Tokyo for a few months before moving to work in Osaka, so I was familiar with the area.
How do you like Osaka? I lived and worked there and in Tokyo for awhile, in Fukushima near Noda/Nodahanshin station.. It was awesome, I would seriously consider working there again someday

Oh I love it. I live near Shukugawa (actually I live up on the mountain, Megamiyama, but Shukugawa is the easiest reference place. The Osaka vibe in general is just really nice, as the people are way more relaxed, friendly, and outgoing. I really like this area a lot.

As far as people getting there from Kyoto/Nara, here's what I did. I took a $45 over night bus, got to Tokyo in the morning, had some breakfast, hung out at Marounochi (technically Oazo Center) and read some magazines/books while I waited. Then I took the train to the hotel the LSAT was being administered in and checked into my room. I took a sleeping pill at 7:00 pm, woke up comfortably at 5:00 am, and just did normal prep stuff until 8:00 am, when the test started.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blair80

New

Post by blair80 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:16 am

Hey everyone,
Does anyone have any good advice or has anyone had any good experiences with LSAT prep in Japan? Domo!
~Blair

jet

New

Post by jet » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:51 am

Hello!

I took the LSAT at Temple University in Tokyo this morning and it was great! It was held in two comfortable classrooms on the 2nd floor of Azabu Hall with about 20-30 people in each room.

I arrived at 8:20am and the sign in took less than a minute. Everyone was in their seats and the instructions started at 8:40am. After filling in all the information on our booklet and answer sheet, the first section began at 9:10am. The first three sections were back-to-back for 1:45 minutes, and then we had a 15 minute break, and the next two sections and the writing sample back-to-back for another 1:45. After the writing sample was finished, it didn't take more than 5 minutes before we were all on our way, at approximately 1pm. 'Twas a long morning, but it sure goes fast!

I was worried about bringing prohibited items to the test, so I left my cell phone at home and carried my ziploc bag in a plastic bag. It turns out this probably wasn't necessary. I encourage you to use your own discretion, as things can always change, but there was definitely space outside the classrooms to leave your things, and it even looked like there were some lockers.

Hope that helps some, and good luck!

smcava

New

Post by smcava » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:16 am

To all those who have taken the LSAT in Japan or are studying here:

How was/is studying while you were/are in Japan? Did you ever find it hard to study because your English was getting worse? Any tips on studying in Japan? What resources did you use?

Did you begin studying for the LSAT while in Japan or before?

How is taking the LSAT in Tokyo? Especially if you don't live in Tokyo, did you give yourself a couple days in Tokyo before you took the test?

Honestly any advice would be good. Thanks so much!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”