Scores on old tests v new tests

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Hollynan

New

Scores on old tests v new tests

Post by Hollynan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Hello! I take the August flex in about 2 weeks, and I'm pretty much done with studying. Early on in my prep, I focused on the new tests (50+) and in my last few months, I've gone all the way back to the early 1990s. I've been scoring better as I've studied more (duh), but I'm not sure if this is bc these are old tests or if it's bc I'm a better test-taker. My average is about a 170 for the 80s, which I finsihed 6 months ago, and 177 for the old tests, which I'm working through now. Should I still expect to get into the 170s on the basis on these old tests? Thanks

IntellectualMode

New

Re: Scores on old tests v new tests

Post by IntellectualMode » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 am

Based on the sound of things, with the consistent scoring within the 170s, you should still be on track for getting a score within that bracket - obviously there's a whole lot of different variables which can affect test-day performance but it sounds like you have been effectively practicing so that's in your favour.

I'm not sure I would've recommended starting with the newer tests first - as the tests are more recent, they can be seen as a better indicator of what questions might come up in your actual LSAT.
The older tests, whilst sharing the vast majority of the same features as other newer tests, can have some features that haven't been seen in recent LSAT administrations - you may be preparing yourself for things that might not even come up in the test.

But it might not be such a bad thing, because arguably the older tests can still prepare you for a situation in which LSAC all of a sudden brings back a rare Logic Game or something along those lines.

I'd recommend having a little review of sorts of the newer tests - call it a refresher.
Best of luck to you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”