Anxiety about first Diagnostic

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
acasey44011

New

Anxiety about first Diagnostic

Post by acasey44011 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:55 pm

So I'm trying to take the LSAT in November, and I'm rather scared that I'll do absolutely piss poor on my first diagnostic.

This isn't a cold diagnostic, as I've been studying for about a month and a half now (mostly using LSATmax and a Powerscore Logic Games bible). However, I'm concerned that I'll end up getting a dogshit score (135 or below).

When practicing Logic Games (only Linear and Group, as that is what I have learned how to do with LSATmax), I generally get 80% of a particular game right (this can drop down to 20-30%, or go all the way up to 100% of questions right in a particular game). This doesn't sound particularly bad, but I was getting a flat zero percent on logic games up until a little while ago.

On reading comprehension, I generally get about 85-100% of questions correct (at least solitary)

On LR, I usually get those right, but sometimes I just miss questions left and right. For example, I took part of the June 2007 LSAT today, just to see how I'd do, and I got pretty much every LR question wrong (granted, I only did about 4 or 5, but that's still 4 or 5 in a row).

I take this diagnostic on Wednesday (originally was Tuesday, but I wanted to practice group games a bit more).

I am seriously wondering how I'll do, and what I should do if I do absolutely bomb this diag.

P.S. I currently am a rising Senior in uni with a 4.0 (don't think this matters a whole lot LSATwise, but still)

zeglo

Silver

Re: Anxiety about first Diagnostic

Post by zeglo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:21 am

It'll be okay.

I got a diagnostic without studying of a 153. Then I studied a bit. Then I got a 149 on my next one. I dropped four points! I was miserable.

Perhaps those scores are decent to you. I do not know. But the point is I dropped. But then I kept studying and improved significantly after many months. I went on to Duke. The point is, however you do, it might hurt. It might not. But you can succeed. Try your best and go from there.

My general advice is always practice timed. And also that logic games, while ridiculously hard at first, are the most predictable and learnable. So I would focus on logic games and LR, rather than on reading. Also, I would definitely take a ton of time reviewing LR questions you got wrong. Then, put them away and re-do them a month later. You might remember some of them, or not. But in theory you should do better. The LSAT is all about pattern recognition. So, redoing old sections is good practice. Eventually, you should recognize patterns. After enough practice, you should be at a point where you read a new LR question and recognize what it is getting at, perhaps because you have seen old ones like it. Doing well on the LSAT may take months and multiple takes, but that is okay. You have time. I graduated and worked before attending law school. I did not feel rushed, and I had money to pay for a class (which helped a lot but by no means got me to where I needed to be for my goals) and practice materials.

It will take a while, but you have time. Your GPA is set in stone. Your LSAT, however, is not. You're doing fine! It'll be okay.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”