July Withdraw???

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BigSportsGuy32

New

July Withdraw???

Post by BigSportsGuy32 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi TLS,

I am an AA male who has taken the LSAT 5 times and has a high of 150 (October 2019). Since that test date, I have discovered this site and have made great use of the different threads for LSAT preparation. After taking a break from studying, I have prepped on and off for 4 months for the upcoming July exam averaging 159/160.

While my PT average would obviously be a significant increase for my high score, I really need a 165+ to feel competitive at the schools I am looking to apply to this fall. I touched 165 a couple of times during my PTs, but I know going into a test hoping to test above your average is not ideal.

With all of that being said, and further considering the number of takes I currently have on record, would it be best to withdraw from this July exam and register for August/October or go through with this July exam?

Thank you all for your help!

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: July Withdraw???

Post by dvlthndr » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:54 am

Two issues come to mind. First is how it looks to have a bunch of extra scores from taking the test multiple times. The second are the hard limits on how often you can take the LSAT.

In terms of the first issue, I think you've already passed the point of no return. If you've taken the test 5 times, taking it a 6th time or a 7th time isn't going to make much of a difference. You are already going to stand out as an outlier, and I don't think you can make it that much worse. Any school that will fault you for having six bad scores is already going to write you off for having "only" five bad scores.

In terms of second issue, the rules can be found on the LSAC website:
https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/lsat-faqs wrote:
Starting with the September 2019 test administration, test takers will be permitted to take the LSAT:

• Three times in a single testing year (the testing year goes from June 1 to May 31).
  • Five times within the current and five past testing years (the period in which LSAC reports scores to law schools).
  • A total of seven times over a lifetime.
Please note: The online, remotely proctored LSAT-Flex tests do not count toward this total as they were administered as an emergency response to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic. This policy is forward-looking, not retroactive. Tests taken prior to September 2019 will not count against these numerical limits.

It looks like you avoided the worst of it because some of your tests were pre-Sept 2019, and the upcoming LSAT-Flex is a "freebie." Because you aren't eating away at your annual/lifetime limits, I think you can just go ahead and take it. You're in a weird situation, but I don't see a lot of downside to just rolling the dice and taking the upcoming test (even if your chances of doing well are slim). This would be different if you only had one or two scores under your belt, or if you were pushing up on the lifetime limit.

BigSportsGuy32

New

Re: July Withdraw???

Post by BigSportsGuy32 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:22 pm

I appreciate the reply. I did end up withdrawing from this July exam, and I have registered for August. In hindsight, since I am past the point of no return in terms of taking the LSAT a lot, it would have been nice to have sat down for July (and seen a marginal increase) and then take August to see an increase from the July score.

I plan to write a LSAT addendum, but I am already worried that my August score could come off as a fluke (PTing 10 points above highest score as of last week, goal score is 15 points above current high).

If anyone has any advice on how they have dealt with a large increase in their score, I would really appreciate the help.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”