Thoughts on PowerScore's Study Plans?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
IAmtheLaw72

New

Thoughts on PowerScore's Study Plans?

Post by IAmtheLaw72 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:40 pm

I did a quick search and couldn't find any super satisfactory threads. I know there are several study plans floating around here, but PowerScore's seemed very explicit/easy to follow. I have just under 5 months and was thinking I'd do theirs for 3 months and then do 2 months of more tailored study based on my weak areas. I'm aiming for a 177 (talk is cheap before you've started studying I know...). Has anyone used this study plan / do you have thoughts / did it enable you to get a top score? Do you think I'd need all the materials (listed below) or are they just trying to make a buck? Also feel free to mention / link if you used another specific study plan and it worked very well for you. I'm pretty new to all of this admittedly.

Thanks in advance!

Real LSATs from LSAC
• June 2007 LSAT, a free exam available through our LSAT Digital Exam Platform
• February 1996, 1999, and 2000 LSATs, and PrepTests 75-86, all found in our LSAT
Digital Exam Platform
• The Official LSAT SuperPrep

PowerScore Publications
• LSAT Bibles: Logic Games Bible, Logical Reasoning Bible, and Reading
Comprehension Bible
• LSAT Training Type Collections: Game Type Training, Logical Reasoning
Question Type Training, and Reading Comprehension Passage Type Training
• LSAT Workbooks: Logic Games Bible Workbook, Logical Reasoning Bible
Workbook, and Reading Comprehension Bible Workbook

IntellectualMode

New

Re: Thoughts on PowerScore's Study Plans?

Post by IntellectualMode » Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 am

Hey fella, I can't speak on Powerscore's actual studying plan (so if any other TLS member wants to chip in, do feel free).

In the big scheme of things it sounds like you've got a lot to learn in not a lot of time but seriously, don't let that discourage you.

A lot of members on this forum have different views on study plans - some of us think they're beneficial, some of us don't, some of us use them as just a general guidance, some of us stick by them strictly etc.

For me, in my studying, I've stuck by Pithypike's 3 month guide (You may've seen it but if not, its on the compendium thread) but I chose to place a lot more emphasis on LG + LR because those were my weakest areas after doing a practice test.

It may be helpful to go and take a free LSAT first, identify where your main shortcomings lie, and try and tailor your studying to address your weaknesses early on - make sure you properly drill them and if you do get a question wrong, take the time to understand why it is wrong, why the correct answer is correct and what you're going to do to ensure you don't make the same or a similar mistake again.

I can imagine a lot of TLS members would get mad if I didn't mention this - PrepTests.
Drilling PTs under timed conditions, and drilling them often, is really fundamental in preparing you for your actual LSAT.
Don't burn yourself out with these, but after training up your skills a bit, try and get as many of these done as you can and setup a spreadsheet to document your scores and how well you did in each section.
After each PT, you should review the questions that you got wrong or you were unsure of and try to think what you can do to avoid making the same mistake again - similar to how you would do when initially preparing.

And speaking of preparing, resources.

Naturally you can buy the LSAT PT books, I've got the last 7 of the "10 PTs" series, but if you're doing the digital LSAT, you may want to consider the Official LSAT Prep Plus.
From my understanding, this is an online subscription service by which you have access to over 60 PTs and can simulate test conditions (although without the 5th section experimental).

I've personally used the LG + LR + RC Bibles, and of those, I've found the LG + LR ones most useful.
The LG bible in particular was all I needed to start scoring -0's on LG.
The LR bible is also helpful, but you may need to supplement your knowledge in this area with a bit of PT experience and some of the PT explanations which you can find online.
The RC bible isn't for me - I found Powerscore's approach to RC a bit lengthy and quite time-consuming. You may want to search for yourself about a proper, formulaic RC approach that works for you.

Now Powerscore's LR Workbook - definitely a no from me.
I was expecting a book that was going to contain a whole bunch of different Question Types for me to practice but I was severely disappointed to find that it's really limited in that regard.
I can't speak on the others but I really felt a bit misguided with this one.

I'll let other TLS members advise on the other resources.

I hope this helps in at least some way.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:04 am

atterburyh wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:49 am
I've personally used the LG + LR + RC Bibles, and of those, I've found the LG + LR ones most useful.

Now Powerscore's LR Workbook - definitely a no from me.

I'll let other TLS members advise on the other resources.
I second all of this.

I used PowerScore's Bibles, and I strongly recommend them. I also agree with the above that the LG and LR Bibles are more useful than the RC Bible. To be clear, it was very good, but RC is not as formulaic as the other two sections.

I also agree that the workbooks did not help me personally, but I have heard great things about the question type books, so those might be a worthwhile investment.

IAmtheLaw72

New

Post by IAmtheLaw72 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:29 am

Replying here in the hopes people will see this and bc I feel like it's too annoying to make another post. You were so right, and taking a PTest really helped me figure out a lot about the LSAT quickly. I just took the free June 2007 - got a 168. I got a 24/25 on both LR sections, 20/23 on LG, and 22/27 on RC.

The RC was definitely harder than I expected - I was least concerned about that because I breezed through CR on the SAT and GRE. I hate to over-index to this - could've easily gotten lucky on any of the sections and since RC was the last one I was most tired for it - but I'll definitely at least do some focused RC work first. Anyway, do you think 168 -> 176 is do-able in 5 months? Any suggestions based on that?

IntellectualMode

New

Post by IntellectualMode » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

IAmtheLaw72 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:29 am
Replying here in the hopes people will see this and bc I feel like it's too annoying to make another post. You were so right, and taking a PTest really helped me figure out a lot about the LSAT quickly. I just took the free June 2007 - got a 168. I got a 24/25 on both LR sections, 20/23 on LG, and 22/27 on RC.

The RC was definitely harder than I expected - I was least concerned about that because I breezed through CR on the SAT and GRE. I hate to over-index to this - could've easily gotten lucky on any of the sections and since RC was the last one I was most tired for it - but I'll definitely at least do some focused RC work first. Anyway, do you think 168 -> 176 is do-able in 5 months? Any suggestions based on that?
That's a really strong starting point for anyone taking the LSAT so well done to you!

Your goal is very possible - if you stick to a plan that you're comfortable with, review your knowledge using some prep materials and go through more PrepTests properly, you should be possible to pick up those lost marks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”