When should I take my first LSAT?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
avvvv

New

When should I take my first LSAT?

Post by avvvv » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:07 pm

I'm debating whether I should take the June or the July 2020 LSAT. I am applying this fall, and I began studying in early January (7sage, Mike Kim) with the intention of taking the exam in July. However, a few things have changed, and I'm now going to be moving across the country at the end of June, and the July test is scheduled for less than two weeks after I arrive in a new state and time zone. I'm worried this giant change would have a negative impact on my score, but it's hard to say for sure if this is true or not.

My goal is to get over a 170, and I hope to attend a T14 school with a decent scholarship, as I want to pursue pubic interest law. My GPA is a 3.87. As of now, my RC is usually at a -1 or -2, my LR is around an average of -6 (-3ish each section), and my logic games score is all over the place, from -2 to -10. The Logic Games is what has been making or breaking my score. I ordered the Logic Games Bible and I'm about 200 pages in. I think I should be able to finish the book by the end of the month, as I spend about 5 hours a day studying. The deadline to register for June is April 24th. Would it be foolish for me to try to take the June test? Is it reasonable to think that my LG score could stabilize and improve enough in the next couple of months? The other reason I'm thinking about June is that I could be able to see my score in time to register for August, whereas for July I would have to decide on August before seeing my score. I plan to submit my applications in October.

Let me know what you all think I should do. Thank you!

EnjoyIllinois

New

Re: When should I take my first LSAT?

Post by EnjoyIllinois » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:15 pm

Let me start by crafting a rule. My rule is if a student has a chance of taking an LSAT that qualifies the student to go to an American law school and that chance is over 40%, that student should take the test. Does that make sense? Going to law school can leads to valuable opportunities. Taking the test has minimal costs. If there's something else you have to do at that very same time or for the same amount of money that's radically more valuable, tell me.

Setting that aside, it looks like you're scoring from 168 to 172. You're an in enviable spot by any standard. I would be rather surprised if you took the exam and didn't get at least one substantial scholarship offer. Moving around the same time isn't ideal, but you're moving within the U.S. Do you really think you'll be thrown off your game by different license plates or different time zones? Just set three or four alarms the day of. I'm not really making fun of you. These are great numbers. Also, at this level, your GPA could be a 2.0 and it wouldn't matter much. Law schools will still fight over you just based on the LSAT. I get that you're concerned about blowing the logic games. I'd be worried too. But you're strong elsewhere and a point is a point. But even if you score low relative to your history, that's a 168. You can get a full ride at several schools with that alone. So I think you have to take the next LSAT unless you're having a kid that day, in which case, maybe reschedule.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:42 pm

EnjoyIllinois wrote:My rule is if a student has a chance of taking an LSAT that qualifies the student to go to an American law school and that chance is over 40%, that student should take the test.
That describes literally everyone, so it may be a little too broad of a rule.

I agree that there's little downside to taking the test itself (aside from the time investment for studying). But "an American law school" will accept anybody with a pulse.

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:50 pm

One month should be enough time to stabilize your score in the LG section. I'd recommend repeating all of the games at the end of the LG Bible until you feel you've mastered them fully. If you have a 7Sage package then you should be able to redo games pretty easily. Just use scratch paper. Work through 20-40 PTs' LG sections and make sure you can do them in <35 mins without missing more than 1-3 questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”