What’s the current gold standard for LSAT prep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Br3v

Gold

What’s the current gold standard for LSAT prep?

Post by Br3v » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:20 am

Family friend has asked me for help studying for the LSAT. When I studied about 5-10 years ago I did Pithypike and was going to recommend that the friend purchase those study books and abide by that study plan. But I gather that the LSAT is changing (e.g., no Logic Games anymore?) and so Pithypike might be outdated?

What is the TLS consensus for LSAT prep these days?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: What’s the current gold standard for LSAT prep?

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 am

LSAT Trainer, I think?

....theres no LG anymore? Really?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:07 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:LSAT Trainer, I think?

....theres no LG anymore? Really?
Idk if it’s been implemented yet but seems to be the case soon at least:
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/10/ ... s-section/

DKilloranPowerScore

Bronze

Post by DKilloranPowerScore » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm

LG won't be phased out any time soon (if ever—there's some debate about exactly what they are required to do), and if you are taking the LSAT any time in the next two years at least, you'll be facing Logic Games.

My vote here would still be for PowerScore, of course :)

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:15 pm

DKilloranPowerScore wrote:LG won't be phased out any time soon (if ever—there's some debate about exactly what they are required to do), and if you are taking the LSAT any time in the next two years at least, you'll be facing Logic Games.

Thanks, that’s what I’m used to so makes it easier. I gather schools are taking GRE now in addition to LSAT too? Have people been taking both or is LSAT still pretty much the ballgame?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DKilloranPowerScore

Bronze

Post by DKilloranPowerScore » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Br3v wrote:Thanks, that’s what I’m used to so makes it easier. I gather schools are taking GRE now in addition to LSAT too? Have people been taking both or is LSAT still pretty much the ballgame?
Currently, if you have an LSAT score on record, the law schools ignore the GRE, so taking both tests hasn't been a thing. I suspect it will be in the future, but right now apps using only the GRE are a very small percentage and law schools are still unused to it. Time will change that but for now the LSAT is still king!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:01 pm

DKilloranPowerScore wrote:LG won't be phased out any time soon (if ever—there's some debate about exactly what they are required to do), and if you are taking the LSAT any time in the next two years at least, you'll be facing Logic Games.

Thanks - Dave's the authority on this.

And just to point out, from the YDN article itself:
Yale Daily News wrote:The settlement entails plans for cooperation over the next four years between Binno, his co-plaintiff Shelesha Taylor and LSAC to make the LSAT more accessible. ...
“Because analytical reasoning is a critical skill, it is important to recognize that we will continue to assess the analytical reasoning abilities of prospective law students,” read the statement from [LSAC representative Kristin] Marcell. “We are simply redesigning the way in which that skill is assessed.”
So, logic games will be changing, but not immediately, and they won't be gone, they will just be different.

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Go with 7Sage or Powerscore. The Loophole in LSAT Logical Reasoning by Ellen Cassidy has also become very popular (I think that's the main section she focuses on - it is half of the test).

Blueprint LSAT

Post by Blueprint LSAT » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm

Unless you are aiming for a very specific few schools you are probably going to have to take the LSAT.

While there are changes on the horizon, LSAT prep today and for the near and probably mid-term future looks pretty much like it has. If you plan on going to law school in the next few years you need to learn logic games.

As for how to prep, if you are shooting for the high-percentile scores you need to learn the logic the LSAT is testing for and get pretty familiar with the way they test for it. The process can be pretty intense and time consuming, but remember that only about 2/100 people that take the test score over 170.

There are a lot of materials out there and everyone learns differently. What you want to look for is a solid question-type based approach for LR, an RC method that focuses on argument structure, and a logic games method that gives you a consistent method/notation to build from.

If you are looking for a course, either online or in person, you want one with good supporting tools. Studying for the LSAT is like learning a new skill and a new dialect. Even with all the support in the world you are going to spend a lot of time grinding on your own and you will probably need to make several adjustments to how you study before you get to the test.

Full disclosure, I'm a teacher and instructor for Blueprint, but I made an effort to keep this answer neutral til the end :) I do feel our program offers all the things I mentioned, and our online-anytime course gives you a lot of flexible options for a pretty reasonable subscription-cost. Feel free to check us out or send me any questions you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”