LSAT Digital Writing in China

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Post Reply
HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:02 am

I am posting this information so hopefully future students do not encounter this problem.

The LSAT digital writing utilizes PSI proctoring software, which uses Trilio. Trilio is prohibited in China, and so the PSI software cannot function.

There are physical testing centers located throughout China, but you need to call LSAC to unlock your account. This is difficult if you are not aware this approach exists (which I was not).

I know there are not many who will experience this problem, but I sure wish I had known this info before buying non-refundable tickets to Hong Kong.

Dipsychus

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:46 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by Dipsychus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Thank you for this post, its specificity. This is the kind of information that’s really hard to come by. And even if it benefits only a few people who read this forums, the info adds to the sum of actual factual knowledge on TLS.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by QContinuum » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I echo Dipsy in conveying the community's thanks for this info, enz. We do have a number of members here from the PRC and I'm sure this information will be very helpful to them.

Alex.M

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by Alex.M » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 am

Hi, many thanks for the information!

One more question, does it mean that testtakers in China can apply for the digital writing in the designated test center by contacting LSAC and scheduling a date & place to take it? If so, is it through email or through the registration on LSAC.org?

Many thanks for any follow-ups!

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Alex.M wrote:Hi, many thanks for the information!

One more question, does it mean that testtakers in China can apply for the digital writing in the designated test center by contacting LSAC and scheduling a date & place to take it? If so, is it through email or through the registration on LSAC.org?

Many thanks for any follow-ups!
You call LSAC and tell them you would like to take the exam at a test center. Then they unlock your account so that the next time you log in and click "LSAT Digital Writing" there will be a link to register for a testing center.

When you click the link, it takes you to PSI's website. You then need to create a PSI account and provide your LSAC account number (without the "L" at the beginning). Once finished, you can enter your zip code and see local test centers. Click the center you wish to go to, and a list of available times should appear. Just select the most convenient time and finish registration.

Make sure to print your receipt and check the ID requirements also. They say you only need one, but I was asked for two forms of ID, probably because I'm a foreigner in China.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Alex.M

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by Alex.M » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 am

enz2103 wrote:
Alex.M wrote:Hi, many thanks for the information!

One more question, does it mean that testtakers in China can apply for the digital writing in the designated test center by contacting LSAC and scheduling a date & place to take it? If so, is it through email or through the registration on LSAC.org?

Many thanks for any follow-ups!
You call LSAC and tell them you would like to take the exam at a test center. Then they unlock your account so that the next time you log in and click "LSAT Digital Writing" there will be a link to register for a testing center.

When you click the link, it takes you to PSI's website. You then need to create a PSI account and provide your LSAC account number (without the "L" at the beginning). Once finished, you can enter your zip code and see local test centers. Click the center you wish to go to, and a list of available times should appear. Just select the most convenient time and finish registration.

Make sure to print your receipt and check the ID requirements also. They say you only need one, but I was asked for two forms of ID, probably because I'm a foreigner in China.

I have another question — is there a launching link available for a recent exam with test scores not coming out, or the link is only available for a test with test scores coming out?

Thanks for your information! It's super helpful! :)

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:30 am

Alex.M wrote:I have another question — is there a launching link available for a recent exam with test scores not coming out, or the link is only available for a test with test scores coming out?
My apologies, but I am a little confused. What do you mean by "scores not coming out?"

ldai54

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:16 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by ldai54 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:20 am

Absolutely the most helpful post.
Took the July LSAT, thinking about pushing the writing portion off for later.
Now I'm in China, I regret my stupidity.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 pm

ldai54 wrote:Absolutely the most helpful post.
Took the July LSAT, thinking about pushing the writing portion off for later.
Now I'm in China, I regret my stupidity.
Which city are you in?

If you call lsac and tell them you want to change to a testing center, they can walk you through the process of doing so like I said.

If you are in a small city (Foshan, Guilin, etc.), you can likely reach a major city (Guangzhou, Nanning, etc.) by train, so do not worry about that too much. Just remember there is a one-year limit before your writing section expires.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


burqin

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by burqin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:08 pm

enz2103 wrote:I am posting this information so hopefully future students do not encounter this problem.

The LSAT digital writing utilizes PSI proctoring software, which uses Trilio. Trilio is prohibited in China, and so the PSI software cannot function.

There are physical testing centers located throughout China, but you need to call LSAC to unlock your account. This is difficult if you are not aware this approach exists (which I was not).

I know there are not many who will experience this problem, but I sure wish I had known this info before buying non-refundable tickets to Hong Kong.
Sounds like I'm lucky. Yesterday I managed to submit a LSAT writing answer. Both IE and Firefox failed, probably out of the reason you mentioned. Finally I used Google Chrome browser, which I had thought not to function. It surprisingly did the trick. You only need to press the red "terminate the Chrome appliction" when such a signal shows up. In my opinion, the process of "acquaintant to (or familiar with) the test" is highly recommended to be conducted COMPLETELY, not for the designed aim of acquaintance, but for ensuring the procedure is entirely functional, lest you have to call LSAC for resetting the test, in case of possible disruption during your test session.

hajime0101

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by hajime0101 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:10 am

Is it that if the "get acquainted" part works when you are in China, then the really thing will work?

Also a “General Error" message keeps showing up for me when I try to get to do LSAT writing. Does anyone know what that is about?

Thanks a lot.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:24 am

hajime0101 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:10 am
Is it that if the "get acquainted" part works when you are in China, then the really thing will work?

Also a “General Error" message keeps showing up for me when I try to get to do LSAT writing. Does anyone know what that is about?

Thanks a lot.
It has been quite some time since I made this post. If you are in China, I recommend signing up for a test center.

"Get acquainted" was not the best test because, IIRC, the bandwidth could fall below the bare minimum without cancelling the test. However, if your bandwidth drops below the minimum during the exam, even for a second, then you will be kicked out. I do not know if they fixed this in the past year, but that is what I remember happening.

As to the "general error" message, I have never seen that. Again, I strongly suggest signing up for a test center because both problems will be solved simultaneously, but if you want to take it at home, then this is something which you may want to contact LSAC about.

hajime0101

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by hajime0101 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:40 pm

HopefulSplitter0000 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:24 am
hajime0101 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:10 am
Is it that if the "get acquainted" part works when you are in China, then the really thing will work?

Also a “General Error" message keeps showing up for me when I try to get to do LSAT writing. Does anyone know what that is about?

Thanks a lot.
It has been quite some time since I made this post. If you are in China, I recommend signing up for a test center.

"Get acquainted" was not the best test because, IIRC, the bandwidth could fall below the bare minimum without cancelling the test. However, if your bandwidth drops below the minimum during the exam, even for a second, then you will be kicked out. I do not know if they fixed this in the past year, but that is what I remember happening.

As to the "general error" message, I have never seen that. Again, I strongly suggest signing up for a test center because both problems will be solved simultaneously, but if you want to take it at home, then this is something which you may want to contact LSAC about.
Thank you very much for your reply. I am in China now and I really do want to get the writing sample done soon. By signing up for a test center, do you mean to take it at a physical location? I am afraid that is not going to work at this point, especially during the pandemic. China currently do not even have test centers available for the LSAT test for October.

I think I may call LSAC tonight just to see why I am getting the general error message sometimes. In addition, in terms of bandwidth, would you say that problem can be solve if I take the test with rather stable internet connection?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am

hajime0101 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:40 pm
Thank you very much for your reply. I am in China now and I really do want to get the writing sample done soon. By signing up for a test center, do you mean to take it at a physical location? I am afraid that is not going to work at this point, especially during the pandemic. China currently do not even have test centers available for the LSAT test for October.

I think I may call LSAC tonight just to see why I am getting the general error message sometimes. In addition, in terms of bandwidth, would you say that problem can be solve if I take the test with rather stable internet connection?
The problem comes from the fact that the server used by lsac is blocked by the great firewall. A better connection will not help you.

Physical test centers are available for other exams, such as the TOEFL. They may also be open for the LSAT.

The virus is under control better than it is in the US. Which city are you in? I am sure that you can find a local test center that will be safe and convenient. Call LSAC and ask :)

hajime0101

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by hajime0101 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am

HopefulSplitter0000 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am
hajime0101 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:40 pm
Thank you very much for your reply. I am in China now and I really do want to get the writing sample done soon. By signing up for a test center, do you mean to take it at a physical location? I am afraid that is not going to work at this point, especially during the pandemic. China currently do not even have test centers available for the LSAT test for October.

I think I may call LSAC tonight just to see why I am getting the general error message sometimes. In addition, in terms of bandwidth, would you say that problem can be solve if I take the test with rather stable internet connection?
The problem comes from the fact that the server used by lsac is blocked by the great firewall. A better connection will not help you.

Physical test centers are available for other exams, such as the TOEFL. They may also be open for the LSAT.

The virus is under control better than it is in the US. Which city are you in? I am sure that you can find a local test center that will be safe and convenient. Call LSAC and ask :)
That makes sense, I hope that LSAC would consider doing physical test locations here. Wuhan is my hometown actually :) I will give them a call and perhaps use a vpn to write the real essay if it has to be remote.

Thanks again!

geoffreylee

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:04 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by geoffreylee » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 am

hajime0101 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am
HopefulSplitter0000 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am
hajime0101 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:40 pm
Thank you very much for your reply. I am in China now and I really do want to get the writing sample done soon. By signing up for a test center, do you mean to take it at a physical location? I am afraid that is not going to work at this point, especially during the pandemic. China currently do not even have test centers available for the LSAT test for October.

I think I may call LSAC tonight just to see why I am getting the general error message sometimes. In addition, in terms of bandwidth, would you say that problem can be solve if I take the test with rather stable internet connection?
The problem comes from the fact that the server used by lsac is blocked by the great firewall. A better connection will not help you.

Physical test centers are available for other exams, such as the TOEFL. They may also be open for the LSAT.

The virus is under control better than it is in the US. Which city are you in? I am sure that you can find a local test center that will be safe and convenient. Call LSAC and ask :)
That makes sense, I hope that LSAC would consider doing physical test locations here. Wuhan is my hometown actually :) I will give them a call and perhaps use a vpn to write the real essay if it has to be remote.

Thanks again!
hi! have you successfully ask LSAC for a local test center?
I have the same problem too and I cannot use PSI on my computer, I am not sure whether LSAC will find me a test center in Shanghai.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:51 am

geoffreylee wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 am
hi! have you successfully ask LSAC for a local test center?
I have the same problem too and I cannot use PSI on my computer, I am not sure whether LSAC will find me a test center in Shanghai.
Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Xi An, and the other major cities here should have no problems finding physical testing centers. Since you are in Shanghai, you should be fine. Just call them and ask them to help you sign up, and PM me if you have more specific questions or have trouble with the whole process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


geoffreylee

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:04 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by geoffreylee » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:48 am

HopefulSplitter0000 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:51 am
geoffreylee wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 am
hi! have you successfully ask LSAC for a local test center?
I have the same problem too and I cannot use PSI on my computer, I am not sure whether LSAC will find me a test center in Shanghai.
Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Xi An, and the other major cities here should have no problems finding physical testing centers. Since you are in Shanghai, you should be fine. Just call them and ask them to help you sign up, and PM me if you have more specific questions or have trouble with the whole process.
Hi!thanks for your reminding.
however, I have contacted LSAC and PSI, currently they cannot provide physical test center in China. so we still have to do this writing remotely and I am preparing to fly to Macau to finish this writing.
what's everything going on your side? I think VPN wont help you to finish the writing because my computer has a VPN too, but it seems that VPN just stop working when the PSI is running. So if you haven't take the writing sample test, I also recommend you fly to macau.
hope to hear from you! :D :D

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: LSAT Digital Writing in China

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:15 pm

geoffreylee wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:48 am
Hi!thanks for your reminding. However, I have contacted LSAC and PSI, currently they cannot provide physical test center in China. so we still have to do this writing remotely and I am preparing to fly to Macau to finish this writing.
what's everything going on your side? I think VPN wont help you to finish the writing because my computer has a VPN too, but it seems that VPN just stop working when the PSI is running. So if you haven't take the writing sample test, I also recommend you fly to macau.
I did the writing at a physical testing center in Guangzhou. However, I took the test before the virus outbreak, so maybe that's why they are no longer offering physical centers.

Be aware that you have to quarantine 14 days in Macau and then 14 days upon return to China IIRC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”