PT 57, S3, Q25 (most strongly supported) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WiltyMIZ

New

PT 57, S3, Q25 (most strongly supported)

Post by WiltyMIZ » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:51 pm

So usually this type of question isn't too bad for me, but this one seemed like a straight cheap shot from the LSAC. I bubbled B vs the correct answer E, but could anyone explain why E is any more supported than B is? I guess B isn't really given anything in hindsight, but E also seems to base its support on something I thought one wasn't supposed to in context of the question type and stimulus (He says OTHER companies do something, how does that support something that has to do with HIS company?)

Any input would be appreciated. This guy was one of 2 I missed, the first one I recognize as a personal error. This one I just don't see wtf is going on.

TAD

Bronze

Re: PT 57, S3, Q25 (most strongly supported)

Post by TAD » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:07 pm

WiltyMIZ wrote:So usually this type of question isn't too bad for me, but this one seemed like a straight cheap shot from the LSAC. I bubbled B vs the correct answer E, but could anyone explain why E is any more supported than B is? I guess B isn't really given anything in hindsight, but E also seems to base its support on something I thought one wasn't supposed to in context of the question type and stimulus (He says OTHER companies do something, how does that support something that has to do with HIS company?)

Any input would be appreciated. This guy was one of 2 I missed, the first one I recognize as a personal error. This one I just don't see wtf is going on.

The manager concludes that the company should not abandon their old software because other employees in other companies still use the old software as much as possible. So the manager is assuming that the frequency in which the employees use a particular software is an important consideration in deciding which software should be used as it possibly indicates the employees' preference for it. So, since the manager is advocating sticking with the old software, he or she must assume that their employees will, just as employees of other companies, use the old software more frequently, indicating their preference for it over the newer software.

Like you said, in the stimulus he said other employees in other companies do something Yes, thats true, but then the answer choice links the employees in his company to the same behavior as the employees in the other company. We already know in the stimulus that employees in the other company may have preferred the former software by their frequency of its use. If the manager is using this as support then the answer choice should show that his employees would similarly behave the same way and use the former one more frequently, and thus more preferentially.

Hope that helps

WiltyMIZ

New

Post by WiltyMIZ » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:35 pm

Sure does. thanks for the help!

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:46 pm

WiltyMIZ wrote:So usually this type of question isn't too bad for me, but this one seemed like a straight cheap shot from the LSAC. I bubbled B vs the correct answer E, but could anyone explain why E is any more supported than B is? I guess B isn't really given anything in hindsight, but E also seems to base its support on something I thought one wasn't supposed to in context of the question type and stimulus (He says OTHER companies do something, how does that support something that has to do with HIS company?)

Since you've already got a good explanation for why E is right, here was my thought process regarding B.

In order for B to work, the author would have to establish 2 things:

1. the reason the other company's employees keep using the old software is that they're familiar with it (rather than cause they just like it better for reasons having nothing to do with familiarity; note the author never says anything about familiarity being a factor)
2. the new software is more flexible and easier to use than the old software (note the author just says that the new software is "advertised" as such and the old software is only "allegedly" difficult to use, not that the new software is def more flexible and easier)

If the author did establish these premises and then went on to conclude "Thus, we should not switch to the new software", that would imply the author thinks familiarity is more important than flexibility and ease in determining which software to use.

WiltyMIZ

New

Post by WiltyMIZ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:21 am

tskela wrote:

Since you've already got a good explanation for why E is right, here was my thought process regarding B.

In order for B to work, the author would have to establish 2 things:

1. the reason the other company's employees keep using the old software is that they're familiar with it (rather than cause they just like it better for reasons having nothing to do with familiarity; note the author never says anything about familiarity being a factor)
2. the new software is more flexible and easier to use than the old software (note the author just says that the new software is "advertised" as such and the old software is only "allegedly" difficult to use, not that the new software is def more flexible and easier)

If the author did establish these premises and then went on to conclude "Thus, we should not switch to the new software", that would imply the author thinks familiarity is more important than flexibility and ease in determining which software to use.
And this is why is love this forum. That makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton y'all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”