PT's from 60's, raw to scaled, and question about inference questions on RC Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

PT's from 60's, raw to scaled, and question about inference questions on RC

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:31 am

When scoring performance on a PT in the 60's, should I use the raw to scaled conversion on the sheet in the back, or should I use my raw score and convert it to a more recent (70 something PT)? For example, a 79 on PT 65 (2011) is a 164, but is a lower scaled score on recent 70 PT's.

Also, an explanation for an inference question, https://lsathacks.com/explanations/lsat ... sion/q-12/, states that A is incorrect because theft is never discussed. I answered this question correctly, but I have more of a general question about inference questions.

Can inference questions only mention things that are explicitly mentioned in the text, or can it be like the RC questions that ask "what is most strongly supported", or "what view would the author most likely agree with"? In at least the latter case, some correct answer choices are not mentioned in the passage.

For example, in the link I provided, theft is never discussed, but if the passage included details that would support the idea that information stored electronically is more vulnerable to theft than information stored on paper, then could this be the correct answer? For example, if the passage mentioned that electronic data is easily accessible by anyone, almost anywhere, beyond the people who it belongs to, and that non electronic information is generally not, would that provide enough support for a correct answer choice supporting theft, on an inference question?

galeatus

Silver

Re: PT's from 60's, raw to scaled, and question about inference questions on RC

Post by galeatus » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:49 am

The conversion is tailored to each PT so using a conversion table from a different PT doesn't really make much sense, if your score is lower using the conversion table from one of the newer PTs it's likely that the new PT is easier than the one that you did and the curve is harsher as a result.

I tend to treat RC inference questions just like LR MSS questions - the correct answer is always the one that's the most provable, and in RC that tend to mean that the answer choice is mentioned in the passage somewhere. The Manhattan RC guide says that every correct answer in RC Inference can be traced back to something in the passage and in the PTs that I've done I haven't really found anything to the contrary.

I don't really know how an answer choice can be correct if it's not mentioned in the passage tho - the other 4 answer choices must have to be even more ridiculous, like explicitly to the contrary of what the passage states to make the unsupported answer the most strongly supported answer.

dontsaywhatyoumean

Bronze

Re: PT's from 60's, raw to scaled, and question about inference questions on RC

Post by dontsaywhatyoumean » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:55 am

Thank you for the answers to both of my questions.

Second one especially.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”