How long does test day actually take? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
speedwagon

New

How long does test day actually take?

Post by speedwagon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi folks,
I am curious abt this part of the LSAC test prep page. They say 7 hours - has that been most people's experiences?

There are 3.5 hours of test time, 15 minutes of break time, and (per the 7sage proctor thing) another 10+ minutes of proctoring = let's say 4 hours of actual action. What else happens? How much time has your test day actually taken?

meeseeks

Silver

Re: How long does test day actually take?

Post by meeseeks » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 pm

I took the test in June and it was over 6 hours total. The biggest hold up it seemed was getting everybody checked in at the beginning. I would also say that total proctoring time was closer to 30 min rather than 10.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 pm

It's wildly different for everyone; a lot of this will depend on how big the metro area is of where you're taking the test. I took the test in June (3 million pop. metro area, there were several other testing centers), and it only took my center 4.5 hours to get through the test. Took an hour to get started though.
Last edited by RamTitan on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 pm

God, FOREVERRRRRRR. Mainly because they didn't even start on time. Sometimes the proctor would just talk and talk and talk too. I took it in June and by the time it was over, it was a good time to call my friend to go out for dinner and drinks.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm

So what you are all saying is the test doesn't start until at least 9:00am?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:35 pm

MAPP wrote:So what you are all saying is the test doesn't start until at least 9:00am?
I'm sure it varies depending on the test center but I wouldn't count on it starting on time.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:37 pm

For me, check-in and rule reading was all about 30 mins. Got there at 12ish and they started to check people in at 12:30. I was in my assigned room by 1 and a few mins later we started.

It's different across test centers I guess

LegallyBlackJD

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlackJD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:50 pm

My test didn't start until 1.5 hours in because people started to initiate a boycott. Why? They weren't pleased with their desk size. The proctors were flustered and didn't know how to handle the situation. I don't even think they've ever administered the test because I was drinking juice during the test at one point - and no one said anything to me (it's not allowed).

Anyways, long story short.....it doesn't start on time.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:04 pm

I will say this; I have a strong suspicion that most test centers are okay, but that you'll mostly read horror stories on the Internet. Last time I really let that get to me and freaked out. The last thing you should worry about is the test center. Just focus on the test and follow all of the test day rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:06 am

speedwagon wrote:Hi folks,
I am curious abt this part of the LSAC test prep page. They say 7 hours - has that been most people's experiences?

There are 3.5 hours of test time, 15 minutes of break time, and (per the 7sage proctor thing) another 10+ minutes of proctoring = let's say 4 hours of actual action. What else happens? How much time has your test day actually taken?

Took around 5 hours for me - I remember getting there a little before 8, and being let out a little before 1. Definitely depends on the site and how many people are taking the test that specific day. I was in a group of barely 10 people, so the whole thing was very low key and smooth.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:38 am

Like everyone said, completely depends on your test center. I took it twice. The first time was around 8 hours total from the time I arrived to when I left. We started the test almost an hour and a half after the scheduled start time.

The second time it was only about 5 hours.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 am

Really depends on the test location, but I took it three times and they were all around 6-7 hours.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”