Skipping a RC section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NigeranOU

Bronze

Skipping a RC section

Post by NigeranOU » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:50 am

I am taking the september test no matter what. My goal is a high 160 but I say 180 just to push myself. I am drilling RC right now and find myself missing -1 on each section and then just never making it to the third. I feel like I could perfect my accuracy instead of worrying about the section with the smallest number of questions. What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind missing just 6 in a RC section bc I can still get a great score with that and it will give me more time to focus on LR / LG which I need to allocate more time to. I've personally weighed the consequences and benefits and I don't think it is a bad strategy.

HOWEVER--

is there always going to be RC passage within a section with 5 questions though??

galadriel3019

New

Re: Skipping a RC section

Post by galadriel3019 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:31 am

I think you are only going to set yourself up for a major let down if you look at it this way. Don't give yourself an out for not studying and getting better at something. You cannot just bank on the other section types to get you where you want. What if there are really tough games? What if you start feeling lightheaded during LR? To willingly throw away a section type (or a large part of a section type) can only hurt you. What is it about RC that is so tripping you up? Have you looked for additional resources to help you hone in on your issues? With weeks before the test, I'd encourage you to re-evaluate how you are studying RC first.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:10 am

NigeranOU wrote:My goal is a high 160
right off the bat i'm not a fan. check out the c/o 2018 medians spreadsheet - high 160s likely makes you average everywhere from Penn through Cornell. you don't want to be average. make 170+ your goal.

now that you've set your bar so high, I don't think your plan is feasible. to score 170 you need to be in the -12 to -14 range, and spotting a -6 before you even start would be tough to overcome

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:30 am

NigeranOU wrote:I am taking the september test no matter what. My goal is a high 160 but I say 180 just to push myself. I am drilling RC right now and find myself missing -1 on each section and then just never making it to the third. I feel like I could perfect my accuracy instead of worrying about the section with the smallest number of questions. What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind missing just 6 in a RC section bc I can still get a great score with that and it will give me more time to focus on LR / LG which I need to allocate more time to. I've personally weighed the consequences and benefits and I don't think it is a bad strategy.

HOWEVER--

is there always going to be RC passage within a section with 5 questions though??
I assume you mean in your studies?

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:40 am

Realistically, you are better off skipping the 5 question (or shortest) passage *if* doing so can guarantee that you will finish the other three with 100% accuracy.

Currently, I am in a weird spot. I can get -0 on pretty much any passage if I take 10-11 minutes per passage. Some passages click super easily and I finish them in 5-6 minutes. Obviously, this is an issue, as it is good accuracy but leaves me with insufficient time to get to the last passage. I'm going to try to work on my speed, but, if a week before the test I have to decide between all four passages and 95% accuracy on three with guesses on the last versus 80% on all four, I'll go with the former.

All that said, I wouldn't adopt the attitude that you can skip them now. Leaving points on the table is generally a bad idea.

kindofcanuck

Bronze

Post by kindofcanuck » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:51 am

NigeranOU wrote:I am taking the september test no matter what. My goal is a high 160 but I say 180 just to push myself. I am drilling RC right now and find myself missing -1 on each section and then just never making it to the third. I feel like I could perfect my accuracy instead of worrying about the section with the smallest number of questions. What do you guys think? I wouldn't mind missing just 6 in a RC section bc I can still get a great score with that and it will give me more time to focus on LR / LG which I need to allocate more time to. I've personally weighed the consequences and benefits and I don't think it is a bad strategy.

HOWEVER--

This is a weird (and bad) premise for two reasons.

1) You'd be voluntarily leaving 5 points or more on the table. As a fellow Sept taker, I thank you. As a fellow human, that's five points (or more) that you can't get back anywhere else. The only time it would be logical would be if giving them up increases your chances of improving at least five points elsewhere. Which leads onto....

2) It will give you no more time to focus on LR/LG. You get 35 minutes per section, and can only use time in each section for that section. Abandoning a reading passage does not give you extra time on games (trying to do so is cheating). Unless you mean for your prep, in which case it's up to you how you divide your time, but abandoning a single passage rather than a section would seem a strange way to do it. Go to bed 8 minutes later if things are that pressed in your day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”