162 on second Prep Test: Fluke? Is a 172+ by June doable? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
naht

New

162 on second Prep Test: Fluke? Is a 172+ by June doable?

Post by naht » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:17 am

Hey all, this is my second post on here, but I just wanted feedback on whether a jump from a 148 diagnostic to a 162 on SuperPrep Test A was realistic. I timed both of these and didn't give myself any breaks in between. I was also at the school library for the 162. I finished the Powerscore Logical Reasoning and Logic Games books in that intervening time period. I'm obviously thrilled to see that big of a jump, but I was wanting to know if I should take it at face value? It seems pretty large, no? Also, since I'm planning on taking the June test, how realistic is a 170+ by that time, given I'm studying roughly 20 hours a week? Thanks for any feedback, and I welcome anyone who has been in a similar situation to chime in.

GMasters5

Bronze

Re: 162 on second Prep Test: Fluke? Is a 172+ by June doable?

Post by GMasters5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:22 am

I feel like it is not a fluke. You have obviously came a long way from your diagnostic. Your score is improving drastically, but going from a 162 to a 172 is going to much harder than going from a 148 to a 162. However, it is doable, especially since you have until June.The only advice I have to give you is keep drilling and taking full length PTs. You also need to make sure you take a lot of the more recent PTs and practice odd logic games. Anyways, good luck!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:31 am

GMasters5 wrote:I feel like it is not a fluke. You have obviously came a long way from your diagnostic. Your score is improving drastically, but going from a 162 to a 172 is going to much harder than going from a 148 to a 162. However, it is doable, especially since you have until June.The only advice I have to give you is keep drilling and taking full length PTs. You also need to make sure you take a lot of the more recent PTs and practice odd logic games. Anyways, good luck!
Agreed 100%. Not all 148 diagnostics are created equal. If you missed like 20 games questions, then a rapid increase would be expected once you learned some basic diagramming strategies and practiced some games. Arguments aren't usually as springy with improvement, but even if you did have a ton of struggles in arguments in your diagnostic, that's no reason to conclude the 162 is a fluke. The only way to see if the 162 is a fluke is to take another several PTs. Once you start scoring consistently +/- 3 points of a given score, you'll know your current rough proficiency level.

Getting to 172 from the low 160s requires a lot of study for most folks because to get to 162 you're going to have to get harder questions in each section right and perhaps as importantly, get more of the questions that are hardest for you correct. Can't get 170+ and have any major gaps in your proficiency. Keep up the hard work..a 172 is definitely possible in June.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Post by Blueprint Mithun » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:41 pm

naht wrote:Hey all, this is my second post on here, but I just wanted feedback on whether a jump from a 148 diagnostic to a 162 on SuperPrep Test A was realistic. I timed both of these and didn't give myself any breaks in between. I was also at the school library for the 162. I finished the Powerscore Logical Reasoning and Logic Games books in that intervening time period. I'm obviously thrilled to see that big of a jump, but I was wanting to know if I should take it at face value? It seems pretty large, no? Also, since I'm planning on taking the June test, how realistic is a 170+ by that time, given I'm studying roughly 20 hours a week? Thanks for any feedback, and I welcome anyone who has been in a similar situation to chime in.
A 172 is definitely doable by June. As for how much time you'll have to put in, 20 hours a week sounds good, but it's different for everyone, so I can't give you a definitive answer.

The first thing to keep in mind is that progress will come more slowly here on out. For one, you have less room for error, so you'll want to work on avoiding making any careless mistakes. Getting a 172 means you can only miss around 8-10 questions, so that means you'll have to get all of the easy and medium questions correct, and some of the hard ones as well. So when you review, don't leave any stones unturned, so to speak. Analyze each question you got wrong and study it closely.

You may have stretches where you plateau at one score for a couple of weeks, or even a month. A lot of students assume they've peaked at this point. The truth is, sometimes it's really hard to measure how far you are from another breakthrough, be it with a specific section or question type. Always be aware of where your weaknesses lie, and work on those, since that's where you have the most potential to gain more points.

Getting a 170 all but requires that you're able to complete the sections within the time limit, so try to work towards that if you're not there yet. There are various timing strategies out there. One basic one is to set benchmarks for the LR sections. Aim to complete the first 10 questions in 10-12 minutes, for example.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”