LR in PT 70+ is destroying me. Should I even write this Sat? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Onus

New

LR in PT 70+ is destroying me. Should I even write this Sat?

Post by Onus » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 pm

Hey all, I apologise in advance for the long post, but I'm just completely befuddled and hopefully someone can lend me a kindness. Let me explain my situation. I wrote in October 2015 and was not very well prepared: I did not yet know of TLS :P and I had been using Princeton Review's LSAT book for self study. I didn't feel good about my performance, so I decided to do it all again in December and study from the ground up.

This motivated me to try harder, look for other supplements, etc. etc. So I read all of Powerscore's LR, then got the LSAT trainer. I was busting my ass so hard every day that I didn't care my scores had been released and I got a 161. Mike Kim's study regimen gave me the improvement I was looking for. I drilled from PT 50s, and did full PTs from 60+, and ended up hovering around my target of a 171 +/-2.

So as I entered what I believed to be the final part of my studies, before I would never have to think about the LSAT again, I decided to see what all the fuss was about PT 72. I thought everyone was just overreacting. Now I'm the one overreacting. My spread in LG & RC is comparable to earlier tests. -0/-2 LG, -2/-4 RC. But the LR outright killed me. -3 & -6

I tried to convince myself that it was an outlier. I took PT 71: -5 & -7. Then 73: -5 & -6. What's worse is that 90% of these questions I missed are ones I didn't have trouble with. For these misses, I was fairly certain I was selecting the best answer. This is especially difficult to combat because generally when I do have a couple minutes to review uncomfortable questions, these aren't even on my mind.

There's something about the way these questions are written that is really throwing me, and unfortunately there's not enough tests yet to really gauge it. Although I have noticed a pattern that these newer necessary assumption questions have right answers that would have been (or are incredibly similar to) wrong answers on tests past.

It's just that there's no clear pattern to what I'm missing (i.e. not a uniform question type) besides beguiling wording of stims & answers, and that the questions usually fall in the 11-19 range. I'm just at a loss, and a more than a little frustrated to have such a setback. Wish I could've taken PT 69...

Oh well, just dust off the shoulders. What I'm asking you gracious souls is 1) Since December will be my second go, should I withdraw or not, seeing as how I haven't been able to reach or top 170 in this 70 series; 2) if there's any strategies of attack that work well within this 70 series specifically for LR; 3) Regardless, I believe I'll want to try my luck at the LSAT again even if December goes well, and especially if it doesn't. How should I focus on nailing down LR (thinking about trying out Manhattan) and should I expect to get where I need to be in Feb or wait longer? Let me stress as well, I cannot afford a tutor, and all of my LSAT practice will likely be only driven independent study.

I'd like to thank all of you for your past advice, It was of great help to myself and probably countless other lurkers. This truly is a community made for self-improvement.

P.S. How am I the first to get the username Onus? How old is this forum? :wink:

sd1111

New

Re: LR in PT 70+ is destroying me. Should I even write this Sat?

Post by sd1111 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:27 am

I think your performance is good and it is only the second time. All the skill you need to achieve your goal is there. I think it is better to take the December one. If you would like to apply this circle, you can use this score to complete your application before the Feb and hold it till the Feb score comes out. I do not think it requires more than a week to adpat to the newer PTs. By saying that, I mean, if you are going to sit in the exam, you can get a reletively high grades for sure above 168. And if you continue preparing for the Feb one, you can definitely reach your target, since it is not difficul to ADAPT to the new PTs.

By the way, pressure in the real test may even help you score higher. Why not try?

(Hope my kindness would lend me some luck to get a ideal score for my Dec test. :p)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”