focused on next year Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
trqdor

New

focused on next year

Post by trqdor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12 am

as I expected, my third take this past oct did not go very well. it went worse than my 163 in june, in fact. I don't feel as shitty as I did in june, though... probably because I walked out of the test feeling I got wrecked anyway.

I've exhausted my three attempts in two years BUT I am focused on next year. one of my attempts will reset in June, so that will be the earliest I can take it again. I have not decided if I will take that test or next year's October administration, but i am nonetheless committed to this test. this will be my longest relationship I've ever been in.. which is both sad and hilarious.

anyway, i'm obviously going to take some serious time off from studying in an attempt to 'forget.' i think my greatest pitfall is that i more or less know the answers to all the questions for PTs 50 to the present. I've quite literally scored 175-180 in the last three PTs i took leading up to the test, but they weren't fresh, which explains my inflated scores. i suppose i also need to 'forget' my crappy methods and habits of solving problems, something i think only time away from studying will fix.

i am now under no illusions. for the last two officials LSATs i took, i scored below 165. no matter what my "PT average" is, my official scores are the truest indicator of my abilities/understanding. (there's no point in making up excuses about how game 3 was hard or that that or this passage was abnormal anymore). I tended to believe that the LSAT was a highly 'personal' test - meaning that you really have to identify and work on your own weaknesses.. you have to master your own method of annotating passages... you have to personalize your own diagrams. this line of thinking led me to think that i didn't need a tutor or program i would pay for. After receiving my score, i realize my limitations, and it doesn't look like i'll be able to get to the 99th percentile (which is where I wanna be) by buying books and self-studying. Obviously, the self-study part and spending time on the material by myself is crucial. But now I think i need some professional guidance.

which leads me to my question: do you guys know of and recommend a program like 7sage or Powerscore or Testmaster or whatever else is out there that can specifically help retakers who have pretty much seen every problem, and can't help but know the right answer (sometimes) without properly thinking about the problem? maybe a program that assigns 'homework' materials that are not just questions taken from the PTs would be most helpful. i work a full time job, which prevents me from taking classes physically somewhere or meeting up with a tutor.. so something that accommodates that would be ideal. i can't really quit my job because i gotta pay for the tutor/program somehow right?

for reference.. these are the materials that I've gone through:
Powerscore LR Bible
Powerscore LG bible
LSAT Trainer
Manhattan RC
Cambridge Packet 1-20
halfway through Cambridge Packet 21-40 (couldn't finish because i had to take the Oct test)

I've BR'd PTs to death and I've watched 7sage LG videos. I'm at a loss for what to do next to step up my test taking game.

For the sake of argument, let's all assume my low scores are a product of my poor abilities. I don't get the jitters and feel nauseous at the thought of taking standardized tests. my preparation (nutrition, mental/emotional sanity, sleep, exercise) leading up to the test was ideal. the test center was great. let's assume i just have a poor and unrefined toolbox of skills. what's the best way to approach this? what's the best program / study guide for me?

sorry for the long post. your help is very much appreciated. and congrats to all those who killed the test. i hope to join the club next year.

Cubank

New

Re: focused on next year

Post by Cubank » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Dont really have any advice for you. Just wanted to commend you on your resilience in getting into this mentality. Im on the same boat, after averaging a 168 through 30+ PT's I got a 162 june and did worse in October. My confidence is crushed as I feel I understand the test very well and have the skills necessary I just cant seem to put it together on the day.

Im gonna see how I do this cycle and if I dont like my offers I guess I'll think about retaking, but the idea is nauseating right now.Im especially interested in this topic though as I really dont know where a retaker would start after exhausting basically all the material. So good luck, and congrats again on your mental fortitude, hopefully you crush it next time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”