Difficult LR questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eli2015

New

Difficult LR questions

Post by eli2015 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:44 pm

If you have the Cambridge drill packets, im talking about the level 4 difficulty questions. I get most of those level 4 difficulty questions wrong, what am I not seeing, or what am I doing wrong? How do I get better at LR overall? It's getting frustrating that Im not really improving on LR.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:11 am

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

eli2015

New

Re: Difficult LR questions

Post by eli2015 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond I appreciate it. I think I need more familiarity with the difficult questions for sure. I think I also need more in depth understanding of the difficult wrong answers. How detailed of an explanation do you give for the wrong answers.

somethingElse

Gold

Post removed...

Post by somethingElse » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:16 am

Post removed...
Last edited by somethingElse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcho10

New

Post by kcho10 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 pm

eli2015 wrote:If you have the Cambridge drill packets, im talking about the level 4 difficulty questions. I get most of those level 4 difficulty questions wrong, what am I not seeing, or what am I doing wrong? How do I get better at LR overall? It's getting frustrating that Im not really improving on LR.
Have you been acing all the easy and medium difficulty questions as well? I know when I first started off, I started with some hard questions thinking that if I could master the hard questions then the easier ones will follow. But that was a HUGE mistake, and I hope that's not one you're making. If you haven't done so, I would really recommend making sure that you have mastered the easier questions. I found that as I worked my way up, a lot of the difficult questions that I found to be hard became so much easier. Hope this helps

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eli2015

New

Post by eli2015 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:03 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:
eli2015 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to respond I appreciate it. I think I need more familiarity with the difficult questions for sure. I think I also need more in depth understanding of the difficult wrong answers. How detailed of an explanation do you give for the wrong answers.
I'll give you an example, take Q 75 from the difficult questions packet (its PT 8, S4, Q17). This is basically what I what underline/write down next to each AC.

Skipping A for now...

B: I would underline "all of its advantages". Argument in no way makes note of all the advantages, only one.

C: I would underline "experience has proven this strategy". The argument doesn't mention anything about this strategy working in practice.

D: Underline "does not rely on". The strategy does rely on prospective buyers' estimates.

E: Underline "likely to go unnoticed". The error will definitely be noticed (people will notice the price is too high and won't buy it).

So that leaves A, which is correct because what the argument basically does is say that A is a better strategy than B because B takes away the chief appeal of an exclusive item, i.e., is counterproductive.

Also, in general for these method (argument) questions, the general strategy that has worked for me is underlining the conclusion within the stim, and from there just seeing what the reasoning is to get there and pre-phrase that before going to the ACs. So, before you even look at the ACs for this question, you should be able to formulate something in your mind like "A is better than B because it is better in this one regard than B". That will be enough to steer you in the right direction on these IMO.
Sounds great I will implement this technique today and see how it works out.

eli2015

New

Post by eli2015 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:16 pm

kcho10 wrote:
eli2015 wrote:If you have the Cambridge drill packets, im talking about the level 4 difficulty questions. I get most of those level 4 difficulty questions wrong, what am I not seeing, or what am I doing wrong? How do I get better at LR overall? It's getting frustrating that Im not really improving on LR.
Have you been acing all the easy and medium difficulty questions as well? I know when I first started off, I started with some hard questions thinking that if I could master the hard questions then the easier ones will follow. But that was a HUGE mistake, and I hope that's not one you're making. If you haven't done so, I would really recommend making sure that you have mastered the easier questions. I found that as I worked my way up, a lot of the difficult questions that I found to be hard became so much easier. Hope this helps
I have not been acing the the easier to medium difficulty questions, but this is due to me reading the stim too fast and getting caught up on time rather than the process. When I BR the easier questions and I read the stim properly, I can usually see why my answer is wrong, and why the right answer is right, but for those difficult questions, regardless of time, I am missing something to answer them properly because even in my BR, with unlimited time, I still usually cannot decide on why the correct answer is correct, and why the wrong answers are wrong, or even differentiate between the correct answer, and the wrong answers. I personally feel like the "easier" ones are easy because those depend on fundamentals, and because they are just made "easy" so that LSAC can meet its curve so they are just meant for people who study a bit to get them correct, however those difficult Questions just require intense observation, and more familiarity because they are veryyy veryyy subtle, and you need to find the subtleties, which I feel require repetition of those distinct questions, and familiarity with the wrong answer choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”