LR Flaws Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
themoose90

New

LR Flaws

Post by themoose90 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:13 pm

I've been drilling the Cambridge LR section and the flaws questions are giving me the most difficulty. On average I get about 90% of all the LR questions right but with flaws level 3 and level 4 difficulty, I'm only getting about half of it correct. It generally comes down to two answers. I've read the LRB but it hasn't really helped. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve on flaws question types?

LifeGoals

New

Re: LR Flaws

Post by LifeGoals » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:12 am

Have you considered taking the time to study up outside of the LSAT on various informal and formal flaws in logical reasoning? I can't imagine doing well on these questions without knowing their names and what they look like.

Manhattan Prep Matt

New

Re: LR Flaws

Post by Manhattan Prep Matt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:33 am

On top of LifeGoals advice (which is solid - they only have so many flaws they use), you should also take a look at the answer choices you're getting wrong. Do they have a common form to them?

What I mean by that is that the Flaw questions tend to come in 3 flavors:
1) "presumes, without providing justification, that..."
2) "overlooks the possibility that..."
3) really abstract language describing the flaw generally, in a way that could apply to any argument featuring that flaw.

And 1/2 can overlap with 3. A lot of people have trouble where the correct answer falls into a certain common flavor, because their brain just incorrectly interprets the crazy language used by the LSAT to frame answers. If you can notice a pattern there, it's usually a quick fix of training the correct interpretation.

If this is an issue, though, it's likely only part of the issue, and you should still study up on the standard flaws used on the test! That will help you on all Assumption-family questions (not just with accuracy, but also with speed - a lot more questions become predictable when you understand the relationship between the flaw in the argument and the general form of an answer choice in each question type).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”