can't make any progress on my practice tests

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
barnett2525

New

can't make any progress on my practice tests

Post by barnett2525 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 pm

So yeah .... I've read the bibles, I've studied for this test before. I know the methods and I have the skills. I'm just so slow. I think it might be because I've been on adderall from when I was 15 until I was 22-23. I am now 24 and have quit cold turkey because I hate the way it made me feel, but my mind just keeps wandering and to save my life I can't get a RC or games section within the time limit. I caved today and got another prescription in the mail. but I remembered that the last couple times I took it, I hated the way it made me feel and promised myself to never take it again and to try my hardest etcetcetc....but I just have no energy. All the PTs in the world won't make a difference...I just get a headache. I think I've finished a games section within the time limit twice in my life? And I got them all right and that day I did the best I've done on RC is getting through it in 38 minutes, the other 2 were in the time limit, and my score was 170...but that exception was the only glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. the norm for me is being wayyyyyyyy over on RC and games, just getting a huge headache, which usually ends up with me just wanting to go to sleep and end up wishing I was on adderall because then I could focus, but I promised myself to not be dependent on that poison again... idk I just feel like giving up. I've never accomplished anything meaningful in my life without being on adderall. When I was on it I felt like superhuman and could literally crush everything I do. But I quit because it was messing with me after a long period of time. it sucks having had this drug as a crutch for my mental energy for 7 years....but I refuse to take it again... but then again, being a lawyer has always been my dream. UGH sorry for rambling but any input would be appreciated.... ''see a counselor'' or "GTFO and get help'' work too

Sorry to waste space, as this is my second OP of the day...but can ANYONE relate here???

cliffs: having an emo LSAT moment

MtnGinger

Bronze

Re: can't make any progress on my practice tests

Post by MtnGinger » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:59 pm

The LSAT is hard period. That being said the fact that you got a 170 with only going over a small amount is amazing. It shows that you have the capabilities it is just on you to put in the effort to hone them. No one likes to study (at least no sane person) but you have to. If you truly need the adderall then there was a reason it was prescribed to you, but you're personal view on your life is the important thing. Caving in to make yourself do better but feeling horrible about it will probably not help your score, this is a mental test. I guess my main point is to just hang in there and that TLSers are here for support.

hawkeye10

New

Post by hawkeye10 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:37 am

barnett2525 wrote:So yeah .... I've read the bibles, I've studied for this test before. I know the methods and I have the skills. I'm just so slow. I think it might be because I've been on adderall from when I was 15 until I was 22-23. I am now 24 and have quit cold turkey because I hate the way it made me feel, but my mind just keeps wandering and to save my life I can't get a RC or games section within the time limit. I caved today and got another prescription in the mail. but I remembered that the last couple times I took it, I hated the way it made me feel and promised myself to never take it again and to try my hardest etcetcetc....but I just have no energy. All the PTs in the world won't make a difference...I just get a headache. I think I've finished a games section within the time limit twice in my life? And I got them all right and that day I did the best I've done on RC is getting through it in 38 minutes, the other 2 were in the time limit, and my score was 170...but that exception was the only glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. the norm for me is being wayyyyyyyy over on RC and games, just getting a huge headache, which usually ends up with me just wanting to go to sleep and end up wishing I was on adderall because then I could focus, but I promised myself to not be dependent on that poison again... idk I just feel like giving up. I've never accomplished anything meaningful in my life without being on adderall. When I was on it I felt like superhuman and could literally crush everything I do. But I quit because it was messing with me after a long period of time. it sucks having had this drug as a crutch for my mental energy for 7 years....but I refuse to take it again... but then again, being a lawyer has always been my dream. UGH sorry for rambling but any input would be appreciated.... ''see a counselor'' or "GTFO and get help'' work too

Sorry to waste space, as this is my second OP of the day...but can ANYONE relate here???

Couple of quick points - I have ADHD, and I know when I haven't taken medication my sense of timing gets all screwed up (10 minutes will feel like an hour), my focus is shot and I have no energy. I tried to go off meds for about a year, for similar reasons that you did, and found that I became miserable and depressed. I could function on a base level (friends, menial job), but anything challenging became ten times harder to do, because I couldn't focus or have the energy to do it. It sounds like you're having some of the same problems.

One of the advantages of ADHD is the ability to hyperfocus, and it sounds like that's what you did when you got that 170. If you can work on strengthening that ability, you might be able to do it on test day without medication.

ETA: fixed typo

On the other hand, if you take medication (even just to take you through the LSAT) it will probably be so much easier to get the score you want.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:23 am

This seems like half an LSAT question, and half something you should really talk to a medical professional about. All I'll say is that studying for/taking the LSAT is not the time to alter your routine.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 am

barnett2525 wrote:So yeah .... I've read the bibles, I've studied for this test before. I know the methods and I have the skills. I'm just so slow. I think it might be because I've been on adderall from when I was 15 until I was 22-23. I am now 24 and have quit cold turkey because I hate the way it made me feel, but my mind just keeps wandering and to save my life I can't get a RC or games section within the time limit. I caved today and got another prescription in the mail. but I remembered that the last couple times I took it, I hated the way it made me feel and promised myself to never take it again and to try my hardest etcetcetc....but I just have no energy. All the PTs in the world won't make a difference...I just get a headache. I think I've finished a games section within the time limit twice in my life? And I got them all right and that day I did the best I've done on RC is getting through it in 38 minutes, the other 2 were in the time limit, and my score was 170...but that exception was the only glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. the norm for me is being wayyyyyyyy over on RC and games, just getting a huge headache, which usually ends up with me just wanting to go to sleep and end up wishing I was on adderall because then I could focus, but I promised myself to not be dependent on that poison again... idk I just feel like giving up. I've never accomplished anything meaningful in my life without being on adderall. When I was on it I felt like superhuman and could literally crush everything I do. But I quit because it was messing with me after a long period of time. it sucks having had this drug as a crutch for my mental energy for 7 years....but I refuse to take it again... but then again, being a lawyer has always been my dream. UGH sorry for rambling but any input would be appreciated.... ''see a counselor'' or "GTFO and get help'' work too

Sounds like you're coming down on the adderall.

barnett2525

New

Post by barnett2525 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:41 am

thanks guys.... this is just a super helpless feeling because I made a promise to myself never to take the adderall again and my parents and shrink are all gunna pressure me to take it. I guess there's nothing more to discuss here but thanks for the replies everyone. I'll report back after test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”